Laissez-faire cultures that worked

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Can anyone list them? I've tried to think of one and the closest I could get was the native American culture in North America...and we all know how well that worked out.

What do you think?

Sounds like your trying to re-label Capitalism which works just fine when gubamint keeps it's hands off. There's quite a list of government fuck ups out there. That means you Senators Dodd and Frank.

How about this: You show us Communist and or Totalitarian gubamints that have worked.

Sounds like your trying to re-label Capitalism which works just fine when gubamint keeps it's hands off. There's quite a list of government fuck ups out there. That means you Senators Dodd and Frank.

How about this: You show us Communist and or Totalitarian gubamints that have worked.
Start your own thread and quit assuming you know what motivated my question, dipshit.

Can anyone list them? I've tried to think of one and the closest I could get was the native American culture in North America...and we all know how well that worked out.

What do you think?

I don't know that there really ever has been one that was completely laissez-faire in the first place. Makes it pretty hard to know if it will work.

The draw back of such a system is that people are dependant on each other to behave responsibly otherwise the system will collapse ala the Roman empire.

Pretty much 19th C America comes close, UK too except for the unions.

Nope , your wrong.

They have all used regulations to temper Capitalism.

There is NO evidence that unfettered markets create a livable society.

Tempered Capitalism works very well when the regulations are wisely desided and altered as needed.

Why dont you guys Help us perfect them instead of fighting every attempt to make them wise and well written?

Nope , your wrong.

Which means there is no evidence that unfettered markets create a UN-livable society.

Nope , your wrong.

Which means there is no evidence that unfettered markets create a UN-livable society.

And there won't be if Obama's plan works - but it seems the Republicans would like to find out. :lol:

But to address Ravi's question. No, there never has been such a society. Even Adam Smith would have cautioned against it.

You can see the harm that lack of regulation causes so it must be that unfettered, unregulated, totally laissez-faire capitalism isn't good for a society. The US is the most laissez-faire-like economy in the world yet it still found it necessary to impose regulations, that should be telling. I don't mean to spit in the eye of all the Austrian School people here but an economic system should exist to serve the people of a society and a completely laissez-faire system leaves too many victims lying around.

Nope , your wrong.

And not a shred that they would work.

All this economic history of man and the "perfect system" never developed anywhere in the history of the world?

Its because every time it exsisted for a second someone came along and abused the people who were trying it and made a monoply of the entire sytem.

Unfettered markets can not exsist because someone always figures out how to corner the entire market.

Nope , your wrong.

And there won't be if Obama's plan works - but it seems the Republicans would like to find out. :lol:

But to address Ravi's question. No, there never has been such a society. Even Adam Smith would have cautioned against it.

You can see the harm that lack of regulation causes so it must be that unfettered, unregulated, totally laissez-faire capitalism isn't good for a society. The US is the most laissez-faire-like economy in the world yet it still found it necessary to impose regulations, that should be telling. I don't mean to spit in the eye of all the Austrian School people here but an economic system should exist to serve the people of a society and a completely laissez-faire system leaves too many victims lying around.

I love when Diur posts the words out of my mouth. And makes them sound better too. :)

laissez faire means "While your back is turned, behind the scenes agreements will be made. The market will be regulated the way we want it."

What do you think?

There are none outside of the textbook (though some amusingly point to medieval Iceland) because laissez-faire capitalism is a practical impossibility, as pragmatists recognize. If I thought laissez-faire capitalism was able to function and deliver equal opportunity, I would be a capitalist too. But I can't maintain such a utopian view in light of the evidence.

Forum List

Back