Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To A 30 Year Low

Its called seasonally adjusted, I can't believe I have to explain this AGAIN. The jobs report for the month is to determine how many PERMANENT jobs were added. Were you complaining when they didn't add 3M people in November and December?
They didn't add them in then, and they aren't taking them out now. They just ignored those 3M people the entire time.

There is only one number that matters & that is the employment to population ratio. Go to the federal reserve website & look at the chart called EMRATIO. I have posted it below. It proves that after Democrats won control of the country in 2006 we started loosing jobs 3 months later. There have been no employment rate gains since. Just fairy tails of fancy adjusted unemployment numbers.

fredgraph.png

Trying to blame it on the democrats for taking office in 2006 is just more partisan hack jobbery. Everyone in America knows that the economy went to crap because of the housing and subprime mortage bubbles. This was well in place long before the democrats took office at this time.
If you want to blame it on Clinton and the deregulation of the banking sector, and on Fannie and Freddie, fine. They do deserve part of the blame.
But we already know that the economy had zero growth from 2001-2008, with the exception of the housing and subprime mortages. This has been shown over and over again.
So unless you are blaming the '06 dems for bursting the bubble before it got bigger, then you are either just refusing to look at the real causes, or you are being purposefully misleading. It would be like you running up massive debts on everything then putting your wife in charge when you couldn't make payments anymore, then blaming it on her. It just doesn't make sense.
As far as EMRATIO, you are barking up the wrong tree. I have never claimed that the economy is growing substantially. 2011 was basically a break even year as there were only enough jobs created to fill in for those entering the workforce, and the total number of unemployed really hasn't changed in the last year, and 2010 was even worse then that.

the holy of the holies...the NY Times...:rolleyes:

Wow. But Is the Number Real?

February 3, 2012, 10:13 am

By FLOYD NORRIS

How many jobs did the American economy add in January?The Labor Department estimated on Friday that the economy gained 243,000 jobs.

The department also estimated that the economy lost 2,689,000 jobs in the month.

The difference in the two numbers is in seasonal adjustment. Employment always falls in January, as temporary Christmas jobs end. So the government applies seasonal adjustment factors in an effort to discern the real trend of the economy apart from seasonal fluctuations. The actual survey showed the big loss in jobs. The seasonal adjustments produced the reported gain of 243,000 jobs.

A reason to doubt the number is that there has been a tendency in this cycle for the seasonal factors to overstate moves, in both directions. Labor mobility is down, as fewer workers quit to seek better jobs and employers both hire and fire fewer people than they used to do. If the seasonal adjustment was too large, then the gain should be smaller.

Wow. But Is the Number Real? - NYTimes.com

I am sure I will have to post this at least 5 times....:lol:

Its called seasonally adjusted, I can't believe I have to explain this AGAIN. The jobs report for the month is to determine how many PERMANENT jobs were added. Were you complaining when they didn't add 3M people in November and December?
They didn't add them in then, and they aren't taking them out now. They just ignored those 3M people the entire time.
You have to understand that CON$ call the seasonally adjusted number a fraud unless, of course, it is higher like it was in December and then it is the lower unadjusted number that is a fraud. Now that the adjusted number is lower for January it is a fraud again and the unadjusted numbers rule.
Get it?

By FLOYD NORRIS

How many jobs did the American economy add in January?The Labor Department estimated on Friday that the economy gained 243,000 jobs.

The department also estimated that the economy lost 2,689,000 jobs in the month.

The difference in the two numbers is in seasonal adjustment. Employment always falls in January, as temporary Christmas jobs end. So the government applies seasonal adjustment factors in an effort to discern the real trend of the economy apart from seasonal fluctuations. The actual survey showed the big loss in jobs. The seasonal adjustments produced the reported gain of 243,000 jobs.

A reason to doubt the number is that there has been a tendency in this cycle for the seasonal factors to overstate moves, in both directions. Labor mobility is down, as fewer workers quit to seek better jobs and employers both hire and fire fewer people than they used to do. If the seasonal adjustment was too large, then the gain should be smaller.

I don't know, why don't you ask Floyd?

By FLOYD NORRIS

You have to understand that CON$ call the seasonally adjusted number a fraud unless, of course, it is higher like it was in December and then it is the lower unadjusted number that is a fraud. Now that the adjusted number is lower for January it is a fraud again and the unadjusted numbers rule.
Get it?

its the new york times you slobbering hack, ask floyd:lol:

and theres so much 'adjusting' going on, when the number goes higher becasue people are looking again IF obama is still in office, the hackaderm Obamabots, yes thats you et al will then claim its great!!!! see!! its turning around!!!!!........ go ahead, tell me I am wrong...

Get it?

its the new york times you slobbering hack, ask floyd:lol:

and theres so much 'adjusting' going on, when the number goes higher becasue people are looking again IF obama is still in office, the hackaderm Obamabots, yes thats you et al will then claim its great!!!! see!! its turning around!!!!!........ go ahead, tell me I am wrong...
You're wrong!

you are either just refusing to look at the real causes,

the real cause is that liberals organized much of the government to get people into homes the Republican free market said they could not afford.

Secondarily, Obama is a an uber left wing fanatic who has 1) scared the hell out of everyone into inaction and, 2) done everything liberal and wrong, as FDR did, to prolong the recession liberals started.

You can eat up the those unemployment propaganda numbers all you want but facts are stubborn things: 1.2 million people dropped out of the labor force in one month! :eek:
From ZeroHedge:
Record 1.2 Million People Fall Out Of Labor Force In One Month, Labor Force Participation Rate Tumbles To Fresh 30 Year Low | ZeroHedge
So as the labor force increased from 153.9 million to 154.4 million, the non institutional population increased by 242.3 million meaning, those not in the labor force surged from 86.7 million to 87.9 million. Which means that the civilian labor force tumbled to a fresh 30 year low of 63.7% as the BLS is seriously planning on eliminating nearly half of the available labor pool from the unemployment calculation.
They're not unemployed if you don't count them! :lol:

What was true then is true now.

Labor force participation still a problem
The labor force participation rate is still low compared to historic averages.

The rate remained unchanged in September at 62.7 percent of eligible workers in the workforce, down from a pre-recession rate of 66 percent.

That means there are still a lot of people sitting on the sidelines.

Forum List

Back