LA Op-Ed: Remember Our History

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Kinda hard to believe the article is appearing in the LA Times, but there you have it.

This guy is SOOOO right. Parents tell me they wish they had been as excited about history in school as their kids are, (gee wish I saw that on a day to day basis). The answer is simple, I do teach history facts. I also teach the underpinning values that they people at the time held. I emphasize that we cannot put 2005 values on people in other times and places. The kids get it and I think it comes close to 'freeing' them for a few minutes to stop being upper/middle class middle schoolers and step into someone else's shoes. Unfortunately most history teachers buy into and spread revisionist history, ah make that 'social studies':

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...ter17jun17,1,7425513.story?ctrack=2&cset=true

2. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's the conservative media at work again. :boohoo:

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You could be right, my thought it's more of the universities and NCSS.

4. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've always wondered how the media could be construed as "liberal" when many of the largest media outlets in the nation are owned by conservative corporations.
    Times-Mirror, Hearst and Belo are among the most conservatives companies in the nation.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    It's not the ownership, it's the spin on stories that determines whether a media source a 'liberal' or 'conservative.'