Koch Bros. vs. Libertarians (Cato takeover?)

Right, and what we want to prevent is FURTHER Koch ownership. We don't want the CATO Institute to go the way of the Tea Party, which is to become a GOP 2.0.

So you want to stop the Koch Brothers from further owning CATO because they'll influence it more into a GOP 2.0.

However, when the dust clears from this, you'll still support a group that is owned 50% by them?
Despite such ownership, CATO has managed to stay as non-partisan as possible. Well, they have to, if they want to maintain their non-profit status.

There's idiots in every party, racists, jerks, whatever.

Problem is, the Nazis are either more than half of Paul's supporters, or have been allowed to coopt the entire thing.

Frankly, politically I'd rather side with a racist or nutjob if the end result is less gov't for everyone. The 2 parties we currently have, and how they operate, to me is as nutty and insane as the human mind can think up.

Maybe, but IF we want to ever get more than 1% of the population to support us, the Nazi's and Anarchists have to be subdued. The Libertarian party does a lot to purge Nazis, the Paul camp does nothing, even seems to encourage them.

The first part is unsubstantiated nonsense.

The second part I don't see what the party does to "encourage Nazis", I'm guessing that's probably unsubstantiated nonsense also.

As a side note I'm not a member of the party, Bob Barr was just a republican drop out who wanted attention and couldn't get it with reps and the libertarian party gave it to him despite all the un-libertarian things he did in gov't. That set them back a lot to me.

Exactly. If libertarians are looking to the LP to somehow be a standard bearer of the advancement of the libertarian cause, they have another thing coming.

Problem is, the Nazis are either more than half of Paul's supporters, or have been allowed to coopt the entire thing.

Maybe, but IF we want to ever get more than 1% of the population to support us, the Nazi's and Anarchists have to be subdued. The Libertarian party does a lot to purge Nazis, the Paul camp does nothing, even seems to encourage them.

The first part is unsubstantiated nonsense.

The second part I don't see what the party does to "encourage Nazis", I'm guessing that's probably unsubstantiated nonsense also.

As a side note I'm not a member of the party, Bob Barr was just a republican drop out who wanted attention and couldn't get it with reps and the libertarian party gave it to him despite all the un-libertarian things he did in gov't. That set them back a lot to me.

Exactly. If libertarians are looking to the LP to somehow be a standard bearer of the advancement of the libertarian cause, they have another thing coming.
Correct, for two reasons:

1. Libertarians relying on the LP for advancing libertarianism is just as bad as Republicans relying on the GOP for the conservative cause

2. It's actually a further elaboration of #1: Doing so would turn the LP into another partisan corporatist group, eventually

Right, and what we want to prevent is FURTHER Koch ownership. We don't want the CATO Institute to go the way of the Tea Party, which is to become a GOP 2.0.

So you want to stop the Koch Brothers from further owning CATO because they'll influence it more into a GOP 2.0.

However, when the dust clears from this, you'll still support a group that is owned 50% by them?
Despite such ownership, CATO has managed to stay as non-partisan as possible. Well, they have to, if they want to maintain their non-profit status.

If you have such a problem with Koch majority ownership in CATO and influence from that, how can you support the organization when they own 50% with clearly some influence?

My point is, Ron Paul is what got you reading Cato to begin with.

Not me.

I read Rothbard YEARS before I ever heard of Paul.

I wonder how many Paul supporters would attack Rothbard because "He's a JOOOOOOO?"

Even though Rothbard FOUNDED the Libertarian party?

That's hilariously ridiculous.

Also, Rothbard and Rockwell founded the Mises institute, not the LP.

Not me.

I wonder how many Paul supporters would attack Rothbard because "He's a JOOOOOOO?"

Well jesus H christ, I guess there's nothing left for you to do now but smell your own fucking farts huh?

Big fucking deal, you read Rothbard before you heard of Paul. How many high school and college kids these days are picking up Rothbard literature without Paul in the equation?

Like 4 maybe?

I'm not trying to say that Paul is the be-all-end-all of everything libertarian, but my god, give the guy the fucking credit he deserves for getting young people interested in the ideology.

I find it interesting how some Libertarians are upset about this but don't see a problem when the Koch Brothers are doing their thing in Wisconsin among other places. Also fairly interesting is how unaware many of them were about the Koch Brothers involvement in CATO already.

Also, while I suppose Paul may be the closest thing to a Libertarian in the GOP left, he's more of a Paleoconservative.

You're wrong. Pat Buchanan is a paleoconservative. Ron Paul is personally conservative, but his political ideology is libertarian. Though it is always fun to have the non-libertarians try to tell us exactly who is or isn't a libertarian.

Not me.

Since you're so knowledgable on the subject I'm sure you'll be able to find us a Ron Paul supporter who hates Murray Rothbard because he was a Jew.

Not me.

That's hilariously ridiculous.

Also, Rothbard and Rockwell founded the Mises institute, not the LP.

Rothbard wrote the original LP platform.

Since you're so knowledgable on the subject I'm sure you'll be able to find us a Ron Paul supporter who hates Murray Rothbard because he was a Jew.

I haven't seen any of the Paul supporters specifically attack Rothbard, BUT the Nazi contingent among Paul supporters is enormous.

Then there have surely been Nazi rallies for Ron Paul if it's really an enormous contingent. Or perhaps some local "Nazis for Ron Paul" meetup groups scattered around the U.S. We'll all wait with bated breath while you find those for us.

Then there have surely been Nazi rallies for Ron Paul if it's really an enormous contingent. Or perhaps some local "Nazis for Ron Paul" meetup groups scattered around the U.S. We'll all wait with bated breath while you find those for us.

If we put together a chart of forum participants with three columns;

Ron Paul Supporter, Hamas/PLO supporter, Want Israel destroyed

What do you estimate the occurrence of a yes in the first column and the second two would be? 50%? 75%? 99%?

If we drop into the JOOOOOO hating section of the board, what percentage will claim to be Paul supporters?

99%? 99.9%?

What do you estimate the occurrence of a yes in the first column and the second two would be? 50%? 75%? 99%?

If we drop into the JOOOOOO hating section of the board, what percentage will claim to be Paul supporters?

99%? 99.9%?

How many people here actually hate Jewish people, as opposed to simply being told that they hate Jewish people? I myself have been called an anti-semite on this board, and yet I can assure you I have no problem with Jewish people. Same thing with "wanting Israel destroyed." Who actually wants Israel to be destroyed, and what does that even mean? And who actually supports Hamas as opposed to simply thinking Palestinians are getting a raw deal?

99%? 99.9%?

We also have to ask, is, assuming your percentages are correct in the first place which is a stretch, this board representative of the general populous? I'm guessing not.

There are a few Ron Paul supporters on this board that you might call anti-semites but I think they fall on the Republican side of the spectrum. I can't think of anyone that claims to be libertarian on here that is a racist or anti-semite. I personally have nothing against Jews or Israel and I wish them the best. I just want them to pay their own way and fight their own battles. That goes for the rest of the world too.

There are a few Ron Paul supporters on this board that you might call anti-semites but I think they fall on the Republican side of the spectrum. I can't think of anyone that claims to be libertarian on here that is a racist or anti-semite. I personally have nothing against Jews or Israel and I wish them the best. I just want them to pay their own way and fight their own battles. That goes for the rest of the world too.

I know plenty of Ron Paul supporters and have never heard one of them speak of being anti-semitic. From what I can tell most Ron Paul supporters have good college educations, and it's ignorance that leads to bigotry.

Forum List

Back