Knives

Knives...now we are talking. I have several sets of JA Henckles. As they came out with new lines of handles and blades i would get complete new sets. I have sets for home, sets for work, sets for traveling, sets for my work briefcase.

Handles and blade composition differ for different jobs.

My newest loves though are the Bob Kramer Carbon Steel knives. Carbon steal you have take a bit more care of then the stainless. The will rust...but you can also sharpen them to a razor edge.....

I prefer classic chef knives to the Japanese shapes and straight handles..... they "rock" and push things the way i like. They do serve their purposes, I just have no use for them.

Bob Kramer Carbon Steel Chefs Knife at Sur La Table

Although, I don't know how to cook and can barely boil an egg.

I am into high quality chefs knives and the stones and hones to keep them razor sharp.

So I always volunteer to do all of the slicing and dicing for the food prep in my house.

My favorite is the 7" Santoku which is in my opinion the best all around kitchen knife.

It is a Japanese style knife with American ergonomics and many use high quality German steel.

One of the most popular is the Shun Classic 7" Santoku (they come in right and left handed models)

Shun® Classic 7" Santoku Knife in Open Stock Knives | Crate&Barrel

I agree 100%.

I keep my Old Timer in my pocket and/or my Schrade on my belt.

I use a 12" chef's knife, I ordered from Sysco, in the kitchen

:cool:

A dick knife... you got a dick knife!!! LOL. Ok... they just make me laugh. A dick knife. :lol:

But it's a 12" dick, baby
:razz:
Ya gotta realize that prior to this gig I was a BBQ manager for alot of years, so I got used to big chef knives.

I've always wanted a good German set, tho.
I'm always looking them over, whether in catalogs or online or out shopping.... but always wind up needing the cash for something more vital.

Knives...now we are talking. I have several sets of JA Henckles. As they came out with new lines of handles and blades i would get complete new sets. I have sets for home, sets for work, sets for traveling, sets for my work briefcase.

My newest loves though are the Bob Kramer Carbon Steel knives. Carbon steal you have take a bit more care of then the stainless. The will rust...but you can also sharpen them to a razor edge.....

I prefer classic chef knives to the Japanese shapes and straight handles..... they "rock" and push things the way i like. They do serve their purposes, I just have no use for them.

Got another link????
:eusa_eh:

Got another link????

ya know...i had a problem linking in this thread too... not sure what the problem is.

Google

Bob Kramer Carbon Steel Chefs Knife

I keep my Old Timer in my pocket and/or my Schrade on my belt.

I use a 12" chef's knife, I ordered from Sysco, in the kitchen

:cool:

A dick knife... you got a dick knife!!! LOL. Ok... they just make me laugh. A dick knife. :lol:

Ya gotta realize that prior to this gig I was a BBQ manager for alot of years, so I got used to big chef knives.

I'm always looking them over, whether in catalogs or online or out shopping.... but always wind up needing the cash for something more vital.

LOL.. nothing wrong with an F Dick knife... I just had to laugh, cuz i would lay good money that's what you got.

I like Gerber knives. They replaced an 8 year old knife for me because of a small defect.
Pick the right kind of steel for the job you want done.

^^^ This too.

I carry a Gerber Profile 3.9 inch fixed blade and a Gerber Ripstop multi plier every day.

I carried a Gerber Resolve Multi tool for years...when I broke one of the pliers, I sent it back to Gerber and they sent me the Ripstop @ no charge, no questions asked.

The Profile I have had for a couple of years of hard use...it is extremely durable, especially considering it's price tag of less than $20.

For hunting, camping and hiking, I have the trusty Buck 119.

I have a lot of knives. I carry a Bagwell Bowie as my primary combat knife though I also have an old Randall MK I as well. Lots of good kitchen knives and I carry a Benchmade Axis Lock all the time.

When I bought this house, it had been a vacation home for some people up north. They left all their stuff and I had to have it all hauled off. I kept a few things. I kept their knives. They left several knives and until the time I've lived here and used them, I never realized that I didn't have enough knives or enough really decent ones. A lot of their stuff I thought I might use has since been discarded, but I still use the knives.

My daughter is a fabulous cook. She has an array of knives the likes of which I've never seen. I have a set of Chicago cutlery, and a few of those knives which are supposed to never need sharpening, and of course the ones the previous owners of this house left.

My favorite knife of all time was a little knife that was only about 4 inches long including glade and handle. My hands are small and that was such a great little knife in the kitchen. But I lost it and by then the company had stopped making it. I have grieved for my little knife for years, and I've never found a really good knife that small again.

What is your 'philosophy of knives?' Do you have one you prefer over others? Your favorites etc.?

Sunshine,

You're not alone in your affection for a favored 4" paring knife. If you examine the knife block (or drawer) in most kitchens you'll find one which is well-worn because it's the knife that is used far more than any other and fits most comfortably in the hand.

Half of the blade of my favored paring knife is worn away from sharpening. I've had it for as long as I can remember and if it disappeared I would miss it.

Yours probably went out in the garbage.

When I bought this house, it had been a vacation home for some people up north. They left all their stuff and I had to have it all hauled off. I kept a few things. I kept their knives. They left several knives and until the time I've lived here and used them, I never realized that I didn't have enough knives or enough really decent ones. A lot of their stuff I thought I might use has since been discarded, but I still use the knives.

My daughter is a fabulous cook. She has an array of knives the likes of which I've never seen. I have a set of Chicago cutlery, and a few of those knives which are supposed to never need sharpening, and of course the ones the previous owners of this house left.

My favorite knife of all time was a little knife that was only about 4 inches long including glade and handle. My hands are small and that was such a great little knife in the kitchen. But I lost it and by then the company had stopped making it. I have grieved for my little knife for years, and I've never found a really good knife that small again.

What is your 'philosophy of knives?' Do you have one you prefer over others? Your favorites etc.?

You have really made me think! I never really cared about them. I had a knife set gifted to me by an Indian friend and it is their in the mantlepiece. Few daggers I have in showpiece. But as far as kitchen knives are concerned I really dont think much of it. The day it is not sharp enough it goes in the dump, I get a new one.. So mine is ZERO knife philosophy!!

LOL.. nothing wrong with an F Dick knife... I just had to laugh, cuz i would lay good money that's what you got.

Ya made me go look.

The 12" is a SyscoWare Sani-Safe
I have 3 10" knives that are all Dexters

So, NAH!

Got another link????

ya know...i had a problem linking in this thread too... not sure what the problem is.

Google

Very nice but Amazon lists just ONE for $350
:eek:
I could see paying that much for a 4-6 piece set but not just one 10" chef's knife
k-polished.jpg

Got another link????

Google

I could see paying that much for a 4-6 piece set but not just one 10" chef's knife
k-polished.jpg

Besides being hand made with an exotic wood handle.

The blade is "Damascus" pattern steel.

Which means that the forged steel was hot hammered and folded dozens of times.

Besides making it incredibly strong and the ability to hold a razor sharp edge..

The thin layers create an extremely beautiful one of a kind pattern on the blade.

Pictures don't do a Damascus blade justice.

You have to hold a Damascus knife in your hand to see the amazing workmanship and spectacular beauty of one of these unique knives.

Google

k-polished.jpg

Besides being hand made with an exotic wood handle.

The blade is "Damascus" pattern steel.

Which means that the forged steel was hot hammered and folded dozens of times.

Besides making it incredibly strong and the ability to hold a razor sharp edge..

The thin layers create an extremely beautiful one of a kind pattern on the blade.

Pictures don't do a Damascus blade justice.

You have to hold a Damascus knife in your hand to see the amazing workmanship and spectacular beauty of one of these unique knives.

But then I wouldn't want to work with it
:D

Forum List

Back