Knives

I like Gerber knives. They replaced an 8 year old knife for me because of a small defect.
Pick the right kind of steel for the job you want done.

My top 3 knives that I have in my collection.

1st is my 1960's Puma "White Hunter" hand made in Solingin, Germany from the very best european steel. (for decades the top knife carried by African hunters in the bush country)

Puma Hand-Forged Original White Hunter Knife With Leather Sheath, Knives, Puma at Sportsman's Guide

2nd is a Cold Steel "Recon Tanto" made in the USA using Carbon "V" steel. (now they are all made in China using cheap metal). It is a razor sharp and super tough combat knife with only two functions; slicing and stabbing. The tanto style tip will penetrate thick steel like a car hood without breaking off.

Cold Steel Recon Tanto (Carbon V Version) | Zombie Preparedness Initiative

3rd is my Benchmade 51 "balisong" (butterfly knife) D2 steel blade w/black G10 handles and anodized titanium liners. (it is razor sharp so I have to be very careful when flipping it or doing tricks)

51 Morpho® Bali-Song® | Benchmade

I like Gerber knives. They replaced an 8 year old knife for me because of a small defect.
Pick the right kind of steel for the job you want done.

I really didn't realize how impoverished I've been for knives most of my adult life. But when the previous owners of this house left a bunch, I realize that I use them all the time. And my daughter's collection blew my mind when I went to help her with the baby. Her husband and friends have bought several of them for her for gifts.

I do remember Julia Child saying, 'if you are going to cook you really need to learn how to chop.' LOL. Poor Julia, once a duck she was cooking exploded in the oven. If I still had the family here, I probably would look about getting a better collection. But cooking for one isn't as demanding! LOL. Cottage cheese and canned pear halves doesn't really require a knife!

A knife is a tool. There are tools I need only rarely so I'll buy cheap and serviceable. Then there are tools I use daily or several times a day. Those I buy quality.
My pocket knife is my constant companion. I need it often and frequently quickly and with only one hand available. I carry a Benchmade automatic.

I used to collect knives......and everything else.....LOL
I have a set of Case kitchen knives from the sixties as a daily use set.
I butcher and fillet with Brazilian Mundials.
For ease of purchase and affordability in T.N.F.K.A._USA I'd recommend looking at Fallkniven. Their laminated blade design is great.
http://www.fallkniven.com/

Of course my all time favorite knife is gone. My second favorite is a large chopping knife I bought in Blue Ridge, Georgia. I haul that one out anytime I have something like a cucumber or other veggie to chop. I don't even recall the brand.

I did spring for this recently:

31J2ZFNP40L._AA160_.jpg

It looks to be a fine kitchen cutting tool especially for herbs. But I haven't used it yet.

Previous owners left a fillet knife. But I'm allergic to fish so I'll never have any use for that. One of my kids will inherit it! LOL

A great gift idea that I have given out to family members and friends.

Is a "Fiddle Bow" bread knife.

It's a very sharp country style bread knife with the wooden handle shaped like a violin bow.

They are hand made in Montana from a variety of different woods.

What is great about them is they will slice your bread the same thickness and straight every time.

Plus they are a great conversation piece with guests over for dinner. :eusa_angel:

I have seen them new on Ebay for as cheap as $10-$14

(just remember they come in either a Right or Left handed model)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Original-Fiddle-Bow-Knife-Right-handed/dp/B000J3L3EA[/ame]

Last edited:
A great gift idea that I have given out to family members and friends.

Is a "Fiddle Bow" bread knife.

It's a very sharp country style bread knife with the wooden handle shaped like a violin bow.

They are hand made in Montana from a variety of different woods.

What is great about them is they will slice your bread the same thickness and straight every time.

Plus they are a great conversation piece with guests over for dinner. :eusa_angel:

I have seen them new on Ebay for as cheap as $10-$14

(just remember they come in either a Right or Left handed model)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J3L3EA/?tag=ff0d01-20

Never heard of it. But it does look very useful!

When I bought this house, it had been a vacation home for some people up north. They left all their stuff and I had to have it all hauled off. I kept a few things. I kept their knives. They left several knives and until the time I've lived here and used them, I never realized that I didn't have enough knives or enough really decent ones. A lot of their stuff I thought I might use has since been discarded, but I still use the knives.

My daughter is a fabulous cook. She has an array of knives the likes of which I've never seen. I have a set of Chicago cutlery, and a few of those knives which are supposed to never need sharpening, and of course the ones the previous owners of this house left.

My favorite knife of all time was a little knife that was only about 4 inches long including glade and handle. My hands are small and that was such a great little knife in the kitchen. But I lost it and by then the company had stopped making it. I have grieved for my little knife for years, and I've never found a really good knife that small again.

What is your 'philosophy of knives?' Do you have one you prefer over others? Your favorites etc.?

I'm of the opinion that the most dangerous knife is the one that isn't sharp.

Like I expect most people do, I have a utility knife drawer filled with knives I never use, and one or two knives that I use all the time.

Knives that are left to lay in a drawer don't last long. They get knicked. Rather than maintain the knife, they let the old one lay around and get a new one. Kitchen knives belong in a knife block. They end up with a drawer full of useless knives. They have to be cared for. Well cared for.

Move your mouse to the left (or right) and force yourself to become ambidextrous.
I can write, run equipment and even choke a chicken.......... with either hand.
NO. Can you flip a burger or fillet a fish with either hand ? How about firing a gun ?

Hell. My stupid goilfrenn can eve.........Nevermind.
Grow up.
You have proven you are incapable of voting,
at least become capable with both limbs.
Consider converting to Islime. They wipe their asz with the "less functioning' hand.
At least they can. Was that a pun ?

Last edited:
Instead of a knife block.

I have individual Victorinox Blade Safes in the correct size for each kitchen knife.

They are made of a hard plastic with rubber inserts inside to hold the knife secure.

This way I can safely keep them in a drawer without damaging them.

Plus they are relatively inexpensive.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47302-Cutlery-BladeSafe-6-Inch/dp/B0000CFBB6]Amazon.com: Victorinox 47302 Cutlery BladeSafe for 6-Inch to 8-Inch Knife Blades: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Last edited:
A friend had a knife made for me as a gift. It's made from an old saw-mill blade and has a deer antler handle. My name's engraved on the handle.
I told him well, I'd better not leave it stuck in anybody LOL.

My husband collects knives...actually has all kinds, all sizes. His favorite are bone handled though, and numbers (like 1 of 500). I believe there's a total of about 200-300 of them right now!! We can't afford alot, so he buys most of them from sales in the summer, and from Frost Cutlery (cutlerycorner.com)..and off the TV show that's on satellite. I have to put my foot down at times - he doesn't need this many!! :) He also has quite a collection of guns....so we should be pretty well set if we're attacked! Lol!

When I bought this house, it had been a vacation home for some people up north. They left all their stuff and I had to have it all hauled off. I kept a few things. I kept their knives. They left several knives and until the time I've lived here and used them, I never realized that I didn't have enough knives or enough really decent ones. A lot of their stuff I thought I might use has since been discarded, but I still use the knives.

My daughter is a fabulous cook. She has an array of knives the likes of which I've never seen. I have a set of Chicago cutlery, and a few of those knives which are supposed to never need sharpening, and of course the ones the previous owners of this house left.

My favorite knife of all time was a little knife that was only about 4 inches long including glade and handle. My hands are small and that was such a great little knife in the kitchen. But I lost it and by then the company had stopped making it. I have grieved for my little knife for years, and I've never found a really good knife that small again.

What is your 'philosophy of knives?' Do you have one you prefer over others? Your favorites etc.?

Found a 98mm knife made in France by Petzl called a spatha knife.

pzs92s_2.jpg

photo credits

25mm = 1 inch; 98 mm = scant 4 inches

These people started a company to make lighted headgear for cavers, then moved on into other specialty items. Just sayin. :eusa_whistle:

My favorite is the one I keep under the matress on my bed. Sadly, the UK has ridiculous gun laws so a knife (and the baseball bat I keep by the door) serve a duel purpose. Useful things.

compound cross bow.... would do you just fine. :eusa_whistle:

My favorite is the one I keep under the matress on my bed. Sadly, the UK has ridiculous gun laws so a knife (and the baseball bat I keep by the door) serve a duel purpose. Useful things.

Get yourself a crossbow before Parliament begins introducing 'measures' on them. We've got one and they had a devastating effect on the shed door my wife insisted I replace after I had one too many beers last summer.

LOL.... i see we think alike.

Forum List

Back