King of the Gags - Buster Keaton

The man was a pure genius and laid the foundation for comedy in films to this day.
And he wasn't afraid to get hurt to make people laugh.

/----/ I first saw him in 1972 and saw this movie on Saturday morning on an old black and white portable TV. I was amazed there was no special effects and Buster did his own acts including driving the train which was a first time for him.
Keaton Once Demolished A Locomotive
19 Insane Stories About Comedy Legend Buster Keaton Most People Don't Know

The General was Keaton's favorite film and his last feature as an independent filmmaker. It was a commercial disappointment at the time of its release, but years later it was praised by critics and is still considered to be one of the top 20 best comedy films ever made.

This historical parody is set during the Civil War, with one scene calling for a bridge to be blown up in order to stop a train from reaching its destination. Instead of using a model, Keaton insisted on destroying a real train in a stunt that is considered the most expensive in silent film history.

The man was a pure genius and laid the foundation for comedy in films to this day.
And he wasn't afraid to get hurt to make people laugh.

/----/ I first saw him in 1972 and saw this movie on Saturday morning on an old black and white portable TV. I was amazed there was no special effects and Buster did his own acts including driving the train which was a first time for him.
Keaton Once Demolished A Locomotive
19 Insane Stories About Comedy Legend Buster Keaton Most People Don't Know

The General was Keaton's favorite film and his last feature as an independent filmmaker. It was a commercial disappointment at the time of its release, but years later it was praised by critics and is still considered to be one of the top 20 best comedy films ever made.

This historical parody is set during the Civil War, with one scene calling for a bridge to be blown up in order to stop a train from reaching its destination. Instead of using a model, Keaton insisted on destroying a real train in a stunt that is considered the most expensive in silent film history.

My favorite is The General, about the true story of Union soldiers stealing a Confederate train. Plus it was historically accurate.

Forum List

Back