Kindle or Book?

I love, love, love my Kindle. And I am a real book person. I like the original Kindle with the gray screen, not the Kindle Fire, for reading.

What I like about it is the fact that that you don't have to hold it open like a book. I have a cover on mine. It just stays open, so you can read with both hands free for snacking. :)

I also like that it can be midnight on a Saturday and I finish the book I'm reading and can go to the Kindle store and shop, download a sample of a book, and then purchase it if I want to. Right there while sitting in my bed. :)

I also like that I can carry around hundreds of books in one small tablet.

My husband and I both doubted that we would like Kindles. We always used to say we like "real" books. We are really booky people and actually have a room in our house designated as the library. But once we tried the Kindle we were pretty much instantly hooked.

Last edited:
I love, love, love my Kindle. And I am a real book person. I like the original Kindle with the gray screen, not the Kindle Fire, for reading.

What I like about it is the fact that that you don't have to hold it open like a book. I have a cover on mine. It just stays open, so you can read with both hands free for snacking. :)

I also like that it can be midnight on a Saturday and I finish the book I'm reading and can go to the Kindle store and shop, download a sample of a book, and then purchase it if I want to. Right there while sitting in my bed. :)

I also like that I can carry around hundreds of books in one small tablet.

My husband and I both doubted that we would like Kindles. We always used to say we like "real" books. We are really booky people and actually have a room in our house designated as the library. But once we tried the Kindle we were pretty much instantly hooked.

I've been hooked on the Kindle since the first moment I had one. My sister was all "Oh, library, oh books; I love the way they smell, feel, look, etc." Then my nephew got her a Kindle for Christmas and she was just gone.

I LOVE reading huge fantasy novels, and it's much easier to deal with a Kindle, regardless of the size of the book. I can change the font if need be. The battery lasts pretty much forever if you don't leave the WiFi on.

Books.

I am old school. I prefer the tactile feel of a book, turning pages that I can touch. I love books.

Besides, how can an author sign a Kindle?

Kindle or Book?

Which one do you prefer and why?
I have an old Kindle, but prefer My iPad with the kindle app.....

BTW...I do both. I enjoy the feel of a book still.......but prefer the prices of an ebook.

I've always done books, I just like reading a real book. BUT, after hearing several people rave about them, I may get a kindle now. I read a lot so this might be a wise decision.

I'd like to have a Kindle or something...

But I do not understand why anybody buys a single use computer device.

My liberary is online and anybody can access it via the internet.

No Kindle is necessary although I guess if a Kindle can acess internet sites they can use our books, too.

I see NO conflict between books and the bookish technology.

Kindle or Book?

I still haven't figured out how to go to a page on the Kindle. One of my Kindle books doesn't have page numbers.

I like books because they are more user friendly.

I can drain the battery on my Kindle in about a day. It kind of stinks when you run out of battery.

I went on vacation and couldn't access my music because the internet at the hotel was going in and out. Having to depend on internet access to read your book because the book is on the cloud is ridiculous. These things should have an SD card adapter but they would rather make you pay for going over your limit in the cloud.

I bought a Kindle because I lack bookshelf room and these books are taking up cloud space that I will run out of room and have to pay for the space.

I downloaded on bookstore app for the Kindle but the app was written for the store to be on the Kindle and the whole experience was slow so I emailed the store and told them that I didn't like their app and wouldn't be buying their books as a result.

E-books still have some growing up to do.

I'd like to have a Kindle or something...

But I do not understand why anybody buys a single use computer device.

My liberary is online and anybody can access it via the internet.

No Kindle is necessary although I guess if a Kindle can acess internet sites they can use our books, too.

I see NO conflict between books and the bookish technology.

Single use devices can be made smaller,lighter and have longer battery life.
Fell asleep while reading a tablet and dropped it on my face. Damn thing busted my lip.:lol:

Picked up the new Kindle paper white on Monday and so far it's the shit!!
Had the older paper white that didnt have the light so you had to read by lamp. The wife is extremely happy that I will no longer fall asleep with the light on.

Best device since the cell phone for me.
As was mentioned earlier,having over 1.5 million books at your finger tips while laying in bed is freaking fantastic!

The only draw back is not having all those paper backs to trade in on used books.

Kindle or Book?

I still haven't figured out how to go to a page on the Kindle. One of my Kindle books doesn't have page numbers.

I can drain the battery on my Kindle in about a day. It kind of stinks when you run out of battery.

I went on vacation and couldn't access my music because the internet at the hotel was going in and out. Having to depend on internet access to read your book because the book is on the cloud is ridiculous. These things should have an SD card adapter but they would rather make you pay for going over your limit in the cloud.

I bought a Kindle because I lack bookshelf room and these books are taking up cloud space that I will run out of room and have to pay for the space.

I downloaded on bookstore app for the Kindle but the app was written for the store to be on the Kindle and the whole experience was slow so I emailed the store and told them that I didn't like their app and wouldn't be buying their books as a result.

My old Paper white battery would last for over a week. Cant say about the new Paper White because I've only had it for a couple days. But they say 8 weeks with a half hour of use per day.
I cant stand tablets as readers. They just aren't made for it.

Kindle or Book?

As far as the cloud goes. I cant imagine needing it. The Kindle itself holds at least a thousand books.
I dont collect books,nor will I read one twice (in most cases) so the cloud really doesnt come into play for me. Sure I'll keep some of my favorites but the rest can be deleted when I need more space.
If you read a lot,an E reader is the way to go and you'll never be happy with a tablet as an E reader.

Book. I don't sit out in the sun reading and I can carry a book just as easily as a tablet. I like a tablet for computer stuff but I don't really need a reader. I like the feel and smell of books. I also love going to the library.

I like both. We have a hundreds and hundreds of books, the result of being readers, collectors, and pack rats. I enjoy the overall low tech experience of reading a physical book. But I do use a Kindle as well. Shelf space is an issue (we really need to do big purge)...and a Kindle is very handy when "out and about". The one thing I don't like about a Kindle is not being able to "thumb back through pages" quickly to review something...or go look at appendices or lists of characters. I read Game of Thrones on the Kindle....and had to use Wikipedia to look up characters - especially in the latter two books which have so many.

Kindle or Book?

Book, by far. I had a Kindle and gave it to my mother-in-law. Then I bought the Nook, and gave that to my son. I did like the nook better than the Kindle, it was larger and had a back light as well as Wi-Fi, a chess game and crossword puzzle.

I still have many books from college and beyond where I've written notes in the margin. It's interesting to go back and see how my thought process has evolved and my opinions may have changed. Can't do that with either Kindle or Nook.

Save the trees for TP and woodworking, buy a kindle paper white :)

I had the one from B Dalton, Nook, I believe. I sold it to Gazelle.

Trees are a renewable resource.

Many of the most pleasurable experiences of my life have been roaming around libraries and book stores, stopping on the sidewide to look through carts full of on sale or used books. Finding or happening upon an English language bookstore in a foreign country. I literally cannot walk past a book store or book stall.

I don't like reading any long passages or pieces on line. I am regularly sent documents of several pages, on line. I always print them out to read them. How lazy can you be to not want to hold up a book?

I like turning pages and am annoyed by scrolling. I like to make notes in the margins. I love beautiful book marks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back