Kim Davis's defiance breaks the law — but exemplifies America's broken politics

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
Interesting read.
Kim Davis's defiance breaks the law — but exemplifies America's broken politics | Andy Kopsa
A survey conducted in February found that most Republicans supported officially making the United States a Christian Nation. In 2013, a poll by the First Amendment Center found that 51% of Americans erroneously believe the US was founded as a Christian nation.

Who could blame that 51%? We share a collective memory of pledging allegiance to one nation “under God”, to religious tests being applied to presidential candidates like John F Kennedy who, as a Catholic, had to make clear he wouldn’t take orders from Rome to be elected. We have been fed a steady diet of God – the Christian one – in our politics for decades.

Kennedy had to answer religious questions though the Constitution is clear no religious test is allowed to hold public office. That “under God” part of the pledge? It wasn’t added until 1954, when we were out of our minds with fear over The Red Menace. The 1980s brought us the Moral Majority. Savvy political minds realized harnessing the power of an Evangelical voting block could sweep an actor into the highest office in the land. Right-wing Christians cloaked themselves in the Constitution, claimed it for their god and systematically began rewriting history.

The Constitution is amazing in that it is a straightforward document, yet it’s open for interpretation and amendment. It sets down the core of our republic, our democracy and the basis for all law. Nowhere in our founding document does the word “God” appear. Not even once.

Fast forward to Tuesday afternoon, when Kim Davis, right-wing Evangelical poster child of the moment, was released from jail. The Kentucky county clerk was held on contempt charges for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples because it violated her Christian beliefs. Just how fleeting her Christian celebrity will be is in the hands of Mike Huckabee and other religio-political zealots, who currently find her ridiculous act of civil disobedience useful to fundraising and campaigning.

the lawlessness is rampant...obama bragged that he has a pen and a phone..he doesn't need any congress when he wants to evade legal procedures....patriots are working to get these public servants back under control.

the lawlessness is rampant...obama bragged that he has a pen and a phone..he doesn't need any congress when he wants to evade legal procedures....patriots are working to get these public servants back under control.
:stupid:

As long as any Federal administration in power can pick and choose what laws they want to enforce and not enforce, politics has everything to do with it as opposed to the constitution and/or religion. For example, enforce gay marriage law.......ignore immigration law....ignore pot law, etc.....
A law is only as effective as to the degree it is enforced.

As long as any Federal administration in power can pick and choose what laws they want to enforce and not enforce, politics has everything to do with it as opposed to the constitution and/or religion. For example, enforce gay marriage law.......ignore immigration law....ignore pot law, etc.....

Uh no.

SCOTUS is, by definition, the law of the land. If you don't like that, you're free to go live in a country that already has the sharia law you RWs want.

Jan 14, 2014 the kenyan said;
“We are not just going to be waiting for legislation...... I've got a pen, and I've got a phone. And I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions that move the ball forward..."

“We are not just going to be waiting for legislation in order....... I've got a pen, and I've got a phone. And I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions that move the ball forward
So you're a birfer?

Uh no.

SCOTUS is, by definition, the law of the land. If you don't like that, you're free to go live in a country that already has the sharia law you RWs want.

SCOTUS, Congress, EO's, my comment stands.........a law is only effective as to the degree it is enforced, you fuckin' illiterate!

“We are not just going to be waiting for legislation in order....... I've got a pen, and I've got a phone. And I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions that move the ball forward
So you're a birfer?
So you're changing the subject again.

So you're a birfer?
So you're changing the subject again.
Rota, if you are a birther, what you have to say on any subject about our president is worthless.

Forum List

Back