Kids' xmas requests

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
This is why we donate to the homeless shelter, Toys For Tots and the food bank at xmas.

More at the link.

'I would like Dad not to hurt Mummy': The heart-wrenching notes to Santa from children in troubled families - with simple requests for school books and socks
  • Children write heartbreaking letters to Santa before Christmas
  • Ask for things like 'dad not to hurt mummy' and 'a guinea pig to love'
  • Charity group runs a 'be an elf' campaign to make their wishes come true
  • Hundreds of volunteers go out to help those in need

Read more: Heartwreching Christmas requests of children from struggling families
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I always told my kids to never pass a Salvation Army kettle without putting SOMETHING in it. Even small pocket change.

A few days before Christmas 1967, I was up early and noticed a large box on our front porch. Dad passed away 5 months earlier and left us destitute and in debt. The big box was someone's attempt at reaching out and helping, which we greatly appreciated. Anyhow, I told mom about the box and we brought it inside. She told me to pick out what I thought we could use, then hide the rest in the garage until we could get rid of it. She told me not to tell the other kids. And to this day, I haven't. I was 12, with six siblings. That was pretty much our Christmas that year. I'll never forget it, and I will be eternally grateful for it.

So little can mean so much. You may not think you're making a difference, but believe me you are. :thup:

^^^ I don't know why, but sadly I never see any of them kettles in my area.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

There's still a lot you can do.

Toy For Tots - The toys are usually gathered by the fire department.
Food - Give to the local food bank and/or sometimes grocery stores put out boxes you can put your donations in.
Homeless shelter - if there's one in your area, they always need the basics. We always check to see the ages of those sheltered so we know what to get.

We also adopt a family. Takes a little doing to find one but the police or schools can usually help.

And remember these people throughout the year as well. The very poor don't just need food on thanksgiving and xmas.

And you could volunteer to hold that red kettle yourself for the Salvation Army yourself.

Do what feels right to you.

I always told my kids to never pass a Salvation Army kettle without putting SOMETHING in it. Even small pocket change.

A few days before Christmas 1967, I was up early and noticed a large box on our front porch. Dad passed away 5 months earlier and left us destitute and in debt. The big box was someone's attempt at reaching out and helping, which we greatly appreciated. Anyhow, I told mom about the box and we brought it inside. She told me to pick out what I thought we could use, then hide the rest in the garage until we could get rid of it. She told me not to tell the other kids. And to this day, I haven't. I was 12, with six siblings. That was pretty much our Christmas that year. I'll never forget it, and I will be eternally grateful for it.

So little can mean so much. You may not think you're making a difference, but believe me you are. :thup:

My experience is much like yours. 1963, father died, 5 kids, no income.

"..never pass a Salvation Army kettle without putting SOMETHING in it. Even small pocket change. "

No matter how little you have, someone else has less.

^^^ I don't know why, but sadly I never see any of them kettles in my area.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
There's still a lot you can do.

Toy For Tots - The toys are usually gathered by the fire department.
Food - Give to the local food bank and/or sometimes grocery stores put out boxes you can put your donations in.
Homeless shelter - if there's one in your area, they always need the basics. We always check to see the ages of those sheltered so we know what to get.

We also adopt a family. Takes a little doing to find one but the police or schools can usually help.

And remember these people throughout the year as well. The very poor don't just need food on thanksgiving and xmas.

And you could volunteer to hold that red kettle yourself for the Salvation Army yourself.

Do what feels right to you.
Thank you for the suggestions. :) :) :)

God bless you and everyone the SA helps always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back