Keystone Pipeline: Yes Or No

Keystone Pipeline: Yes Or No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Keystone XL Suit: Environmental Groups Target Hillary Clinton...

A coalition of environmental and ethics groups sued Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the U.S. State Department on Wednesday over documents relating to a contentious oil pipeline that would link Canada's oil sands to oil refineries in the southern United States.

The groups suspect that the documents, sought through a Freedom of Information Act request filed in December, contain communications between Clinton and a lobbyist representing TransCanada, the company behind the proposed pipeline, known as the Keystone XL project.

The lobbyist in question, Paul Elliott, formerly served as a deputy campaign director for Clinton's failed presidential bid in 2008. The State Department is currently considering whether to grant TransCanada a permit for the Keystone pipeline, without which the project cannot go forward.

Keystone XL Suit: Environmental Groups Target Hillary Clinton Over Oil Pipeline Documents

HuffPo? Sorry but they have no credibility in my book.

Keystone XL Suit: Environmental Groups Target Hillary Clinton...

A coalition of environmental and ethics groups sued Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the U.S. State Department on Wednesday over documents relating to a contentious oil pipeline that would link Canada's oil sands to oil refineries in the southern United States.

The groups suspect that the documents, sought through a Freedom of Information Act request filed in December, contain communications between Clinton and a lobbyist representing TransCanada, the company behind the proposed pipeline, known as the Keystone XL project.

The lobbyist in question, Paul Elliott, formerly served as a deputy campaign director for Clinton's failed presidential bid in 2008. The State Department is currently considering whether to grant TransCanada a permit for the Keystone pipeline, without which the project cannot go forward.

Keystone XL Suit: Environmental Groups Target Hillary Clinton Over Oil Pipeline Documents

HuffPo? Sorry but they have no credibility in my book.

Wont argue with you on that. But they have some on this one. It's their fellow Left Wingers suing Clinton so they actually reported this accurately. It fits their agenda therefore they are telling the truth. Now when it doesn't fit their agenda,it's all lies. So i hear ya.

I have to admit this is a tough question. We do need the oil & jobs but there will be a big environmental impact.

Oh GEEZ... you swallowing that "big environmental" crap??

Did YOU NOT read the below?

There are 2,925,000,000 acre feet Ogallala_Aquifer
Equals 953 trillion gallons.

In last 20 years 110 million gallons oil spills from ALL pipelines.
Equal to 5.5 million gallons.
Keystone will be 700,000 barrels/day or
over 2,147 miles the average gallons flowing per mile/hour 570 gallons!

Say it takes 4 hours from time monitors show leak occurred till leak stopped:
570 gallons of oil 4 hours or 2,280 gallons leaked!

So tell me again what is the problem?

And the Ogallala has 953 trillion Gallons of water possibly tainted by 570 gallons of oil...
WHAT IS THE BIG ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT?????

Correct my math.. but the BIG impact would be less the 2,280 gallons of OIL in a pool of 953 TRILLION GALLONS of water!
WHAT IS THE IMPACT!!!

I have to admit this is a tough question. We do need the oil & jobs but there will be a big environmental impact.

And the Ogallala has 953 trillion Gallons of water possibly tainted by 570 gallons of oil...

Correct my math.. but the BIG impact would be less the 2,280 gallons of OIL in a pool of 953 TRILLION GALLONS of water!
WHAT IS THE IMPACT!!!

Yes but we've heard a lot of rosy estimates just like this in the past. When money & greed are involved,the facts usually tend to get a bit skewed. I'm certainly no environmental kook and i'm sure most who know me here will attest to that. But i still think it's wise to really take the time to weigh our options. We use so much oil and i'm not sure this pipeline will really make that much of a difference. Our oil consumption is massive. I would like to see us head in a different direction. Lets get over the oil thing. But hey,i'm listening to what people are saying. That's why i asked the question. This is an extremely important issue and i am very surprised the MSM isn't covering it very much. Guess they're way too busy figuring out more ways to smear Republican Candidates. It's disappointing.

WHAT IS THE IMPACT!!!

Yes but we've heard a lot of rosy estimates just like this in the past. When money & greed are involved,the facts usually tend to get a bit skewed. I'm certainly no environmental kook and i'm sure most who know me here will attest to that. But i still think it's wise to really take the time to weigh our options. We use so much oil and i'm not sure this pipeline will really make that much of a difference. Our oil consumption is massive. I would like to see us head in a different direction. Lets get over the oil thing. But hey,i'm listening to what people are saying. That's why i asked the question. This is an extremely important issue and i am very surprised the MSM isn't covering it very much. Guess they're way too busy figuring out more ways to smear Republican Candidates. It's disappointing.

Explain to me why an oil company that wants to sell their oil is being greedy? And yes it is about money, doesn't everyone want to make money? Does making money equal greed?

The fact is they have a product that's in demand so they want to sell their product and make money for themselves and their employees. When did this become a bad thing?

I disagree about this NOT making a difference. It does and will continue to do so if our govt. would allow oil companies to do what they do best. Open ANWR, lift the drilling moratoriums in the Gulf, etc.... Obama is stifling our abililty to become energy independent.

I think they're talking about rerouting it around that aquifer. Other countries are drilling or going to be drilling not far off our shores, I'd rather have US companies doing it with the more stringent regulations and better technology than the russkies or the mexicans.

WHAT IS THE IMPACT!!!

Explain to me why an oil company that wants to sell their oil is being greedy? And yes it is about money, doesn't everyone want to make money? Does making money equal greed?

The fact is they have a product that's in demand so they want to sell their product and make money for themselves and their employees. When did this become a bad thing?

I disagree about this NOT making a difference. It does and will continue to do so if our govt. would allow oil companies to do what they do best. Open ANWR, lift the drilling moratoriums in the Gulf, etc.... Obama is stifling our abililty to become energy independent.

Check out just how massive our oil consumption is. It's a sobering realization. These pipelines could make a little difference but they're not a solution. And you do have to think about the possible negative impact on clean water and healthy environments when weighing these options. It has to be a big part of it in my opinion. We know awful disasters do happen. And i think all that possible cash blinds too many people on these issues.

Money really isn't everything. I know it's taboo to say that but it is the truth. I need to hear more than the "We're all gonna get Rich!" stuff. Because in the end,very few Americans are going to get rich off this. I want to make sure we still have clean water to drink and a healthy environment for us all to enjoy. The oil & money is not my biggest concern.

Last edited:
I don't know how old you are Lonestar, but being an Oil man, you might remember this EXACT SAME kind of hand wringing by environmentalist wackos over the Alaskan pipe line back in the early 70s.

All we heard was, "Oh, dear God, what about the Caribou? It will divide them from their migration routs and destroy their habitat."

Well, in the first 10 years after the completion of the pipe line, the Caribou population TRIPLED!

The caribou, moose, deer and all grass and seed eaters flourished on new wildlife food strips created by clearing the right of way. The predator populations, bears, wolves and the at the time endangered arctic fox populations exploded because of increased pray. And the caribou actually began using the right of way strips to migrate, which increased their winter survival rates even further because it was easier travel.

This will be the same. Not only will it not hurt the wildlife or the environment, but it will actually increase wildlife numbers by adding a 2500 mile long wildlife strip...just like it did with the Alaskan pipe line.

The best I can tell, environmentalist and wildlife biologist are the most incompetent group of so called scientist on the planet!

As to studying this thing...TWO YEARS!!!!

They have been studying this for over two years. You talk about not shovel ready!?

CRAP...I mean, it didn't take Obama but 2 weeks to study off shore deep drilling and SHUT IT DOWN in the gulf, costing over a 150 billion dollars in lost revenue and 250 THOUSAND jobs the first year.

I say two years is plenty enough for a guy that freakin' smart!

I say too, that next time, don't just put yes/no buttons on this poll. Add a HELL Yes button! ;~)

Oh and I forgot to mention. Although there have been a couple of minor accidents up there since it was built, even the 40 year old safety measures put in place back then prevented any real environmental damage from any of them. So THAT issue is a non starter!

IT IS SAFE!

Last edited:

Check out just how massive our oil consumption is. It's a sobering realization. These pipelines could make a little difference but they're not a solution. And you do have to think about the possible negative impact on clean water and healthy environments when weighing these options. It has to be a big part of it in my opinion. We know awful disasters do happen. And i think all that possible cash blinds too many people on these issues.

Money really isn't everything. I know it's taboo to say that but it is the truth. I need to hear more than the "We're all gonna get Rich!" stuff. Because in the end,very few Americans are going to get rich off this. I want to make sure we have clean water to drink and a healthy environment for us all to enjoy. The oil & money is not my biggest concern.

Go ahead and live your life in fear of possible negatives and the possiblilities of disasters. The facts do not support your fears. I'm surprised you have the courage to drive your vehicle on the freeway what with all the possibilities of dying in a wreck.

Fact is for example tens of thousands of wells have been drilled in the Gulf of Mexico and it's still a healthy environment. Hundreds of thousand miles of pipeline criss-cross this country and we still enjoy clean water. I don't know of any water table that has been polluted via oil pipeline leakage.

And yes money is pretty much everything. Tell me how can society as a whole survive without it? Could you support your family with no money?

You believe that "making money" is akin to "getting rich" is a stretch. I know many Americans that have made money their entire lives to support their familes and never once believed they were going to oneday become rich. Believe it or not, some people are satisfied with living a comfortable life with no unrealistic desires of "getting rich".

I don't know how old you are Lonestar, but being an Oil man, you might remember this EXACT SAME kind of hand wringing by environmentalist wackos over the Alaskan pipe line back in the early 70s.

All we heard was, "Oh, dear God, what about the Caribou? It will divide them from their migration routs and destroy their habitat."

Well, in the first 10 years after the completion of the pipe line, the Caribou population TRIPLED!

The caribou, moose, deer and all grass and seed eaters flourished on new wildlife food strips created by clearing the right of way. The predator populations, bears, wolves and the at the time endangered arctic fox populations exploded because of increased pray. And the caribou actually began using the right of way strips to migrate, which increased their winter survival rates even further because it was easier travel.

This will be the same. Not only will it not hurt the wildlife or the environment, but it will actually increase wildlife numbers by adding a 2500 mile long wildlife strip...just like it did with the Alaskan pipe line.

The best I can tell, environmentalist and wildlife biologist are the most incompetent group of so called scientist on the planet!

As to studying this thing...TWO YEARS!!!!

They have been studying this for over two years. You talk about not shovel ready!?

CRAP...I mean, it didn't take Obama but 2 weeks to study off shore deep drilling and SHUT IT DOWN in the gulf, costing over a 150 billion dollars in lost revenue and 250 THOUSAND jobs the first year.

I say two years is plenty enough for a guy that freakin' smart!

I say too, that next time, don't just put yes/no buttons on this poll. Add a HELL Yes button! ;~)

I'm 50 yrs old and I remember it well.

I agree with your sentiments 100 percent.

Yea well,now we're all eating chemically contaminated seafood from the Gulf too. That was never gonna happen either. My God,how much poison is our population injesting due to that disaster? We don't even know where the seafood we eat in restaurants comes from. I mean are people really so crazy to think seafood they're eating from the Gulf isn't contaminated in some way? Everyone should ask where their seafood comes from when eating in a restaurant.

The same goes for the seafood coming from the Pacific Ocean. All that Japanese Nuclear material plunging into the sea has no impact on sealife? Come on,can people really be so delusional. So there are terrible impacts on our environmmet going on all the time. Personally,i like nature and clean water. The money & oil is of no importance to me. I just want a clean healthy environment to enjoy. Because in this crazy bizarre world,sometimes chillin in nature is all we have. I don't want to lose all that just for Money.

Last edited:
Yea well,now we're all eating chemically contaminated seafood from the Gulf too. That was never gonna happen either. My God,how much poison is our population injesting due to that disaster? We don't even know where the seafood we eat in restaurants comes from. I mean are people really so crazy to think seafood they're eating from the Gulf isn't contaminated in some way? Everyone should ask where their seafood comes from when eating in a restaurant.

The same goes for the seafood coming from the Pacific Ocean. All that Japanese Nuclear material plunging into the sea has no impact on sealife? Come on,can people really be so delusional. So there are terrible impacts on our environmmet going on all the time. Personally,i like nature and clean water. The money & oil is of no importance to me. I just want a clean healthy environment to enjoy. Because in this crazy bizarre world,sometimes chillin in nature is all we have. I don't want to lose all that just for Money.

I'm glad I dont eat Ocean insects or fish :)

Lots of debate on this one. Pretty important issue.

The Keystone Pipeline System is a pipeline system to transport synthetic crude oil and diluted bitumen from the Athabasca Oil Sands in northeastern Alberta, Canada to multiple destinations in the United States, which include refineries in Illinois, Cushing oil distribution hub in Oklahoma, and proposed connections to refineries along the Gulf Coast of Texas. It consists of the operational "Keystone Pipeline" (Phase 1) and "Keystone-Cushing Extension" (Phase 2), and two proposed Keystone XL pipeline expansion segments. After the Keystone XL pipeline segments are completed, American crude oil will enter the XL pipelines at Baker, Montana and Cushing, Oklahoma.[1]

The Keystone XL has faced lawsuits from oil refineries and criticism from environmentalists and some members of the United States Congress. The U.S. Department of State in 2010 extended the deadline for federal agencies to decide if the pipeline is in the national interest.

Keystone Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me, the real significance of the Keystone punt by the President is that it reveals how has the real power in the slanders about so-called "Big Oil."

No, the truth is that "Big Green" runs the show.
That would be "Big Green," the 'Watermelon Movement'- green on the outside, red on the inside.

You do realize the rest of the world is drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and the Barent's Sea, right? And the Canadians are drilling not too far from the coast of Maine too. Nothing we can do to prevent it, you really wanna just sit back and continue to pay huge gobs of money to foreign nations to import their oil?

I'm glad I dont eat Ocean insects or fish :)

Yea i'm so amazed very few Americans even care where their seafood comes from. When you're at a restaurant you can ask politely where they get their seafood from. They will tell you most of the time. I mean some people really do believe there's no negative impact on their environment after such terrible disasters. I guess it's a denial thing or they really just don't care. I enjoy a clean peaceful environment to chill in. I need it actually. I don't care about the money anymore. I got past all that. We'll get plenty of oil or we'll have to figure out a new alternative. I'm not sure we need this. The damage from a disaster would likely be irreversible.

You do realize the rest of the world is drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and the Barent's Sea, right? And the Canadians are drilling not too far from the coast of Maine too. Nothing we can do to prevent it, you really wanna just sit back and continue to pay huge gobs of money to foreign nations to import their oil?

Yes. I'm more concerned with keeping our food & water clean. I also want to continue enjoying a clean & poison-free nature. This pipeline will lead to disaster at some point. People should stop being blinded by those dollar bills being waved in front of their faces. Some things really are more important than money. Let the Canadians go ahead and work their deal with the Chinese. That's their business.

Boy,this thing isn't even close. Looks like we will have this pipeline. If our USMB Polls mean anything.

This is especially tough for me. I find myself on the opposite side of my poster friends here who i'm usually with on issues. And my point of view on this is taking a pounding in this poll too. But i really do believe in preserving our beautiful nature in this country. It's not about the money for me. This is one we should definitely pass on.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back