Kerry on abortion - P. Jenning's Interview

I find Kerry's stand on abortion mostly legitimate. He is morally and religiously opposed to it but not legally. That does not present a problem. Take Chick-fil-A as an example. The owner never has and doesn't plan on opening on Sunday's because of his religious views. However, he doesn't suggest that it become a national law that nobody work on Sunday. His religious views and his legal views differ. The realm of legality is a subset of the realm of morality.

• Thanks
Reactions: Moi
MJDuncan1982 said:
I find Kerry's stand on abortion mostly legitimate. He is morally and religiously opposed to it but not legally. That does not present a problem. Take Chick-fil-A as an example. The owner never has and doesn't plan on opening on Sunday's because of his religious views. However, he doesn't suggest that it become a national law that nobody work on Sunday. His religious views and his legal views differ. The realm of legality is a subset of the realm of morality.

Well that is a nice open minded point of view on the subject, the problem is being a leader is not just about following the so called law (even be it a bogus law that was made up by the supreme court, and based on a lie, a rape that never happened) it is also the responsibility of the elected law maker to change and make right what is not right. It is a cop out to say you are against something, then be put in a position to do something about it, then do nothing because those that put you in office control your campaign purse strings........That shows no guts!!!!!!! Character!!!!!!!! or any true conviction!!!!!!!

What is most telling about that blurb is that while Kerry feels that life begins at conception, Roe v. Wade's legalization of abortion is a more important standard. I have never heard a liberal talk about abortion without talking about the guidelines set forth in Roe v. Wade and how we can't do anything that would go against it. Roe v. Wade is the foundation of the legalization of abortion, and thus is Gospel Truth to militant pro-abortionists.

gop_jeff said:
What is most telling about that blurb is that while Kerry feels that life begins at conception, Roe v. Wade's legalization of abortion is a more important standard. I have never heard a liberal talk about abortion without talking about the guidelines set forth in Roe v. Wade and how we can't do anything that would go against it. Roe v. Wade is the foundation of the legalization of abortion, and thus is Gospel Truth to militant pro-abortionists.

And that foundation is so incredibly vacant. Jane Roe is so devastated by what she did (or went along with) that she marches at every prolife rally, and prays in church everyday for forgiveness.

The only cases where I would support abortion are rape cases and cases where delivery will kill the mother. Otherwise adopt.

MJDuncan1982 said:
Deaddude,

What is your premise for being anti-abortion? Protect the life of the child?

How about the sanctity of life itself? "What a woman does with her own body is her business" just isn't going to get it anymore. Civilized society has a stake in this, too. The relentless onslaught of vulgar barbarianism, the removal of any and all restraints on human behavior, and the cheapening of human life are things that Americans are, finally, beginning to regard with some alarm. Maybe, at long last, we're ready to grow up and stop this runaway train before it takes us all over the cliff.

Remember - the flip side of abortion is euthanasia. Human beings tend to be inconvenient at both ends of their lives.

People who are pro choice believe that women have the right to choose, expecially in cases of rape and extreme mental disabilties. These are issues where I believe women should be able to make their own choice.

No government better tell me what I can or cannot do with my body. If I know that my child will have mental disabilities and will be in pain for most of its life then I will have an abortion. I would not let my child live like that.

MJDuncan1982 said:
musicman,

I was asking deaddude in particular, not asking for a general reason to be anti-abortion.

Yeah - I didn't notice your heading, specifically directing your question to deaddude, until I'd already posted. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Still, I don't generally regard this forum as a strictly regimented, speak-when- you're-spoken-to proposition, either.

chagan said:
People who are pro choice believe that women have the right to choose, expecially in cases of rape and extreme mental disabilties. These are issues where I believe women should be able to make their own choice.

No government better tell me what I can or cannot do with my body. If I know that my child will have mental disabilities and will be in pain for most of its life then I will have an abortion. I would not let my child live like that.

Well, be glad you don't live in the People's Republic of China, then - aka "the land of the compulsory abortion". Our enlightened brethren on the other side of the world are routinely told what to do with THEIR bodies. I remember what happened to some poor Chinese who failed to regard instructions about getting their bodies out of Tiennaman Square a few years back. The next time you feel like blustering about what the government better not do, you might want to temper it with a sense of proportion and gratitude.

As for knowing that your child will have disabilities, how absolutely "knowable" is that? What if the doctors are wrong? It's possible, you know - in fact, it happens all the time.

musicman,

Neither do I usually, the question was directed specifically to him for a particular reason. I am anti-abortion myself yet many who are as well excuse rape. I am anti-abortion to protect an individual - how that individual came into existence does not come into play.

I wanted to know what his/her foundational principle was in order for me to better understand his position.

No harm no foul

P.S. Who is creating the smileys? They keep getting better and better:

:banana2:

chagan said:

The problem with that thinking is this...Is it the babies fault it came into being by rape, why not have it then give it up for adoption, the baby is innocent of what happened. Secondly even though someone might be disabled or even in pain, it's not for us to decide to kill them by playing God, that baby was put there for a reason and again I ask what's wrong with adoption in a case like that.? So many people want to adopt babies in this country.

Bonnie said:
The problem with that thinking is this...Is it the babies fault it came into being by rape, why not have it then give it up for adoption, the baby is innocent of what happened. Secondly even though someone might be disabled or even in pain, it's not for us to decide to kill them by playing God, that baby was put there for a reason and again I ask what's wrong with adoption in a case like that.? So many people want to adopt babies in this country.

My dad's cousin adopted two kids that were half-brothers. Both of them came into being because the mother thought the child would keep her boyfriend with her. I might also inform you of a few disabled people who might have been aborted by that line of thinking, people such as Stephen Hawking, the greatest physicist of our time. If I was disabled from birth, I'd personally be insulted by this. Who are you to decide that my life isn't worth living? I have a friend who has never walked in his life. He doesn't know what it's like, so it's nothing to miss, and he's perfectly happy. Not only that, but the last time I saw him, he was off to college with a full scholarship and stipend. I had another friend who was blind and played piano in Carnegie Hall. Was his life worth living, or should he have been aborted to make sure he wasn't in 'constant pain' his whole life? Some mentally retarded children go on to change lives and accomplish great things, even if they're not intellectual. Is theirs a miserable existance that nobody should live? You see, people born with a disability may feel different, and that can cause problems, but they aren't as miserable as you seem to think. Most of them go on to lead perfectly normal lives, and it's not your perrogative, or anybody else's, for that matter, to decide whether or not that life is worth living. If you're into mercy killings, go kill people who just became disabled, because those people actually are miserable, or would that be wrong?

Hobbit said:
My dad's cousin adopted two kids that were half-brothers. Both of them came into being because the mother thought the child would keep her boyfriend with her. I might also inform you of a few disabled people who might have been aborted by that line of thinking, people such as Stephen Hawking, the greatest physicist of our time. If I was disabled from birth, I'd personally be insulted by this. Who are you to decide that my life isn't worth living? I have a friend who has never walked in his life. He doesn't know what it's like, so it's nothing to miss, and he's perfectly happy. Not only that, but the last time I saw him, he was off to college with a full scholarship and stipend. I had another friend who was blind and played piano in Carnegie Hall. Was his life worth living, or should he have been aborted to make sure he wasn't in 'constant pain' his whole life? Some mentally retarded children go on to change lives and accomplish great things, even if they're not intellectual. Is theirs a miserable existance that nobody should live? You see, people born with a disability may feel different, and that can cause problems, but they aren't as miserable as you seem to think. Most of them go on to lead perfectly normal lives, and it's not your perrogative, or anybody else's, for that matter, to decide whether or not that life is worth living. If you're into mercy killings, go kill people who just became disabled, because those people actually are miserable, or would that be wrong?

:beer: Translation to the mercy abortion argument is roughly "I don't want to be inconvenienced by a pregnancy to a child right now even if I do give it up in 9 months so Ill pretend that I really give a fig about the babies feelings".

It's funny how pro abportion/ pro choice advocates think it's wrong for the government to uphold the law against killing another human being if it's helpless or not what we in society would deem fit to live, but it's perfectly okay for anyone to pass the judgement on killing that same life.......So twisted and sad.

Allow me to throw a monkey wrench in here.

What about the case of alien abduction, and it is feared a human female has been inserted with alien dna, harmful to humanity?

its obvious that any woman who can't deal with 18 years of physical reminders of traumatic rape and assault is weak, stupid, and probably deserved it anyway. she should be forced to keep that reminder, it will make her stronger. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back