Kerry Boatmate: Vietnam Troubles Just Beginning

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Sen. John Kerry's Monday morning meltdown on "Good Morning America" may be just the beginning of his troubles, according to one of his Vietnam boatmates, who is warning that more of the men who served alongside the Massachusetts Democrat are preparing to go public with their accounts.

Texas lawyer John O'Neill, who served on Kerry's swiftboat after he left Vietnam just four months into his tour, told WABC Radio's Steve Malzberg on Sunday, "I was in exactly the same unit. There were many people who were there simultaneously with him who are all about to speak."

O'Neill gained brief fame in 1971 when he debated Kerry on the "Dick Cavett Show" and forced him to admit he never personally witnessed the war crimes he'd been accusing U.S. troops of committing.

Though he's been contacted by Kerry's opponents every time the Massachusetts Democrat has run for office in the 33-years since - O'Neill has refused to speak out. Until now.

Referring to reports this week in the Boston Globe questioning whether Kerry may have exaggerated his combat record, O'Neill told Malzberg, "This is just the first opening. They'll be many different people. But I'd prefer to let the people who were actually there speak directly."

O'Neill cited a Jan. 29, 1969 firefight that Kerry claims on his campaign web site that he and his boatmates were in.

"But according to the Boston Globe," said the swiftboat veteran, "Kerry was not even on the boat that night. The guy that was really on the boat was a fellow officer of ours named Ted Peck. He remembers well that fight because he was terribly wounded in three places."

"There was no Kerry anywhere around," O'Neill said. "And yet it appears on his web site as some pitched battle that Kerry was involved in."

Noting that the Democratic presidential candidate has made his Vietnam war experience the centerpiece of every campaign for office, O'Neill complained: "It's [Kerry's] self promotion that infuriates most of the people from his unit who actually know what he did."

"He would be a terrible Commander-in-Chief of U.S. forces in the world at a time of crisis," the Kerry boatmate warned.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/26/230236.shtml

Originally posted by Hannitized
This man sickens and scares me. What's really scary is that Dems will still vote for him just because he's not Bush. Is that what's good for our country? HELL NO!! 189 days to go (?) and I'm terrified. My husband keeps telling me not to worry, people will vote their concious on election day, but I don't believe it and I'm scared!! :(

Hey Hannitized,

Keep your chin up and stick to the facts when dealing with the KoolAde drinkers out there. If you show 1 person that says they are going to vote for Kerry the error of their ways, you've done your part.

relax hannitized, though the hardcore dems will vote anybody but bush, those of us who are smart will vote wise, or at least for the lesser of two evils, right jim? :p:

seriously though, kerry and his campaign are about to fall down like a house of cards. Sure, there will be those voting for kerry simply because they hate bush, but the independent voters haven't even spoken out yet, thats where the swing vote will be.

Hey what happened on Good Morning America? What was his meltdown? I must've missed this one, dammit! Somebody clue me in please.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
relax hannitized, though the hardcore dems will vote anybody but bush, those of us who are smart will vote wise, or at least for the lesser of two evils, right jim? :p:

DK, I'm convinced you won't be voting for Bush. But I'm also convincedy ou will be voting who will best bring the issues to the table that you feel strongest about. I respect you for the fact that you look at issues individually and see right and wrong with all candidates.

Bush is not infallible. There are policies of his that I am in disagreement with. All in all, I think he brings to the table the most for what I want for my country and that's why he'll be getting my vote.

Personally, I think Dean, Clark & Kucinich all would make better candidates than Kerry. Of course that's my opinion based on what I think is best for the country.

Originally posted by OCA
Hey what happened on Good Morning America? What was his meltdown? I must've missed this one, dammit! Somebody clue me in please.

From another thread:

Kerry in Medals Meltdown, Slams Bush Nat'l Guard Record

An angry-sounding John Kerry denied Monday morning that he ever claimed to have thrown away his three Purple Hearts and two medals for combat valor during an April 1971 anti-war demonstration, blaming Republicans for the new controversy and blasting President Bush's National Guard record.

"This comes from a president and a Republican Party that can't even answer whether or not he showed up for duty in the National Guard," a seething Kerry told "Good Morning America's" Charlie Gibson.

Kerry was responding to a 1971 interview unearthed by ABC News in which he told WRC-TV that he "gave back" somewhere between six and nine of his medals during a Washington, D.C., demonstration days earlier. News coverage of the episode shows Kerry and other Vietnam veterans throwing medals onto the steps of the Capitol building.

When pressed by WRC on whether the medals he "gave back" included his Purple Hearts and his other medals for valor, he replied, "Well, above that, I gave back my others."

But Kerry insisted to GMA that there was nothing to the story, and again tried to shift the focus to President Bush.

"This is being pushed yesterday by Karen Hughes in the White House on Fox. It shows up on several different stations at the same time," he complained. "This comes from a president who can't even show or prove that he showed up for duty in the National Guard. And I'm not going to stand for it."

As Gibson continued to press Kerry for answers, the Democratic presidential candidate raised Bush's service record for a third time.

"George Bush has yet to explain to America whether or not - and tell the truth about whether he showed up for duty. I'm not going to get attacked on something that I did that is a matter of record."

Challenged on the discrepancy between what he told WRC and what he says now, Kerry told Gibson, "Back then, ribbons, medals were absolutely interchangeable," insisting that he never said he had returned his combat medals.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/...26/125135.shtml

Originally posted by jimnyc
DK, I'm convinced you won't be voting for Bush. But I'm also convincedy ou will be voting who will best bring the issues to the table that you feel strongest about. I respect you for the fact that you look at issues individually and see right and wrong with all candidates.

Personally, I think Dean, Clark & Kucinich all would make better candidates than Kerry. Of course that's my opinion based on what I think is best for the country.

Actually Jim, the Dems are doing all they can to prevent Nader from getting on the Texas ballot so I will most likely be reduced to two choices.....Bush or Kerry. I like Naders position on some things but he wouldn't be my top choice either so it looks like I'm going to be voting for Bush. (nobody make any jokes about this :bat: ) While I don't think bush is the best choice, kerry is pure disaster.

If I had my way, I think I would have liked Edwards, he seemed the most level headed person of the bunch, followed by clark.

Its not carved in stone yet that Kerry will be the demo. nom.

I would think the dems are concerned about how John is handling himself out there under pressure. They need to determine who would be the best democratic out there to run against Bush. The only thing Kerry has in his favour for them is that he is not Bush but come crunch time that wont be enough for the vote.

John Kerry cracks under pressure. He has a continually failed memory in certain parts of life that raise questions. He doesn't have a plan with details on how to get there so he covers up by bashing Bush and republicans.

I am wondering if the dems are seriously considering another candidate? If so than who????

I can't consider DK a lib anymore. He's conservative with a soft spot for retards.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
was that a joke? :p:

Nah, I wouldn't make that my sig. I applaud you for your honesty and personal integrity though. And yes, I would say the same if you said you were voting for Nader. I wouldn't say the same if you said "I'm voting for Kerry because I hate Bush".

Forum List

Back