Justice Hillary Clinton?

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Obama and Clinton have wound up agreeing on nearly every major issue during the campaign; at the end of the day, they share many orthodoxies. Unless the Supreme Court were to get mired in minuscule details of what constitutes universal health care, Obama could assume that he'd be pleased with most Clinton votes, certainly on major issues such as abortion.

Obama could also appreciate Clinton's undeniably keen mind. Even Clinton detractors have noted her remarkable mental skills; she would be equal to any legal or intellectual challenge she would face as a justice. The fact that she hasn't served on a bench before would be inconsequential, considering her experience in law and in government.

James Andrew Miller - Next Stop, Supreme Court? - washingtonpost.com

While I realize this article is a few months old, I felt like that given how close we are to the end of the election it was time to revisit this issue. I have given this much thought and on the surface it would make complete sense with the low key nature of Hillary Clintons support for Barack Obama in this election. However on the other side of the coin, she would have IMHO an extremely difficult time getting through any confirmation process.

I see here more in a cabinet postion! But we will see! I have a feeling she is going to stay a senator and run for President again in four or eight years!

Obama and Clinton have wound up agreeing on nearly every major issue during the campaign; at the end of the day, they share many orthodoxies. Unless the Supreme Court were to get mired in minuscule details of what constitutes universal health care, Obama could assume that he'd be pleased with most Clinton votes, certainly on major issues such as abortion.

Obama could also appreciate Clinton's undeniably keen mind. Even Clinton detractors have noted her remarkable mental skills; she would be equal to any legal or intellectual challenge she would face as a justice. The fact that she hasn't served on a bench before would be inconsequential, considering her experience in law and in government.

James Andrew Miller - Next Stop, Supreme Court? - washingtonpost.com

While I realize this article is a few months old, I felt like that given how close we are to the end of the election it was time to revisit this issue. I have given this much thought and on the surface it would make complete sense with the low key nature of Hillary Clintons support for Barack Obama in this election. However on the other side of the coin, she would have IMHO an extremely difficult time getting through any confirmation process.
Not with a supermajority of Dems. But she already said she wasn't interested.

Do you think if offered Hillary would turn down an appointment to the Court? That would be a hard one I believe. As for the Supermajority thing, even though I did not vote for McCain or Obama, it is my hope that if anything happens in this election there is NO supermajority.

Do you think if offered Hillary would turn down an appointment to the Court? That would be a hard one I believe. As for the Supermajority thing, even though I did not vote for McCain or Obama, it is my hope that if anything happens in this election there is NO supermajority.
I thought you were for McCain! Did you change your mind or did I just think wrong?

I don't know. If she wants another shot a being president, she'll turn it down.

I don't think there's much we can do at this point...it's very likely the Dems will have a chokehold on the government for a couple of years...at least in Congress.

I don't think so. Why be a Supreme Court Justice when you can be President? She'll be able to run again in 2016. I'll bet she's been promised a big cabinet position.

Not with a supermajority of Dems. But she already said she wasn't interested.

Are we sure she is "not interested"? Lot's of things go on behind closed door's until the hammer falls. And the new guys/gals move in to town :confused:

Was she interested in the Vice President position? NO!!!!! Everyone in the country, with the exception of Sarah, knows that the Veep - does nothing unless required to break a tie in the Senate, and stepping in to be President .... :eusa_pray: God Forbid :eusa_pray: .... But there are many. many more places in Obama's Whitehouse where Hillary wound and could shake a lot of stuff up! It could even include "secret talks" that include Slick Willy ... if they can keep in his cage, under lock and key. :eusa_eh:

I say becoming a Justice is not a position she is looking for either.

My opinion only.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Why be a Supreme Court Justice when you can be President? She'll be able to run again in 2016. I'll bet she's been promised a big cabinet position.
Exactly what I think! There is no way she is going to give up the chance to run for President!

I thought you were for McCain! Did you change your mind or did I just think wrong?

Luissa that was a long time ago, while I have been a life long Republican I withdrew my support for McCain when he supported the "bailout" bill.

Luissa that was a long time ago, while I have been a life long Republican I withdrew my support for McCain when he supported the "bailout" bill.
Long time ago, so a month! lol I am sorry for the mistake! :razz:
I guess I haven't talked to you to much lately!

Personally, I think Hillary missed her window on the White House unless two things happen. One is Obama losses this race and to be quite honest, I see that as a remote possibility, or Two, Obama's Administration is such a complete disaster after 4 years Hillary can come swooping in in 4 years with the see I told you so message. I rather doubt Hillary would take any position on a cabinet level in an Obama Administration , that would really surprise me.

I don't think Hillary would like being one of nine. I think she'd prefer to be Senate Majority Leader at some point. Believe it or not, I see Bill on the Supreme Court, but not her.

Personally, I think Hillary missed her window on the White House unless two things happen. One is Obama losses this race and to be quite honest, I see that as a remote possibility, or Two, Obama's Administration is such a complete disaster after 4 years Hillary can come swooping in in 4 years with the see I told you so message. I rather doubt Hillary would take any position on a cabinet level in an Obama Administration , that would really surprise me.
I can't really disagree with you here.

I'm kind of shocked at the turn of events. I honestly thought Obama would have a tough time running against McCain, but no one ever foresaw his mistake in picking Palin.

Maybe sec of state! And if Mccain is elected will Palin's friend be Sec of Ag. just kidding!
I see her staying in the senate for awhile!

I don't think Hillary would like being one of nine. I think she'd prefer to be Senate Majority Leader at some point. Believe it or not, I see Bill on the Supreme Court, but not her.

I see neither under Obama. Being a Constitutional scholar I would suspect Obama would want to get something who has spent a life doing legal work, not doing politics.

I see neither under Obama. Being a Constitutional scholar I would suspect Obama would want to get something who has spent a life doing legal work, not doing politics.

Oh I'm sure he would like a constitutional scholar there. But I don't know what he promised the Clintons in exchange for working with him.

You know I honestly think this election would not be even this close, had the democrats selected Hillary Clinton as their pick. However, my reason for posting it was not to actually agree with the contents of the article, in fact, I tend to think Hillary is going to lay low for a bit. Given Barack Obama's social agenda he needs to have some pretty big names in Health and Human Services, Education, and I can assure you that EPA will be filled with every hard core environmentalist from here to the North Star which is going to really helpful in that energy independance thing. I honestly am not going to be paying as much attention to the presidential race as I am the Senate and House races.

Oh I'm sure he would like a constitutional scholar there. But I don't know what he promised the Clintons in exchange for working with him.

I doubt he would promise them something he doesn't know if he can deliver...Hillary would get filibustered in the Senate, and who knows when Stevens will resign or die. I sort of think he will only get one appointment to the bench.

And Bill's no slouch.

Neither of them are...they are both brilliant, but they should be selecting respected jurists for the USSC, not politicians.

Forum List

Back