Just One Of 300,000

Looks like an Amish lad, a member of a different subculture.

There's always less latitude as one approaches the extremes of a normal distribution curve.

There's always less latitude as one approaches the extremes of a normal distribution curve.

When a NYC kid shows up to school dressed like an Amish kid, then he's really making a statement about individuality. A NYC kid who wants to be an individual and so becomes goth isn't being an individual, he's fitting into a specific culture where he is like every other goth kid.

Same dynamic applies to thinking. Adopting liberalism as a teenager is NOT a sign of a free and critical thinker, it's group-think, it's going along with the crowd. The free and critical thinker is the kid who challenges liberal dogma, who understands why liberalism is a faith-based dogma resistant to disconfirming evidence. When his liberal peers yammer on about "Diversity is our Strength" he's the one who points out that there is a marked difference between the liberal expressed positions and their revealed positions by pointing to their housing choices, their schooling choices, their social networks, etc. He's the one who makes unpopular but extremely well defended arguments that unsettle his dogmatic peers. That's what critical thinking is about. Regurgitating liberal dogma is not free and critical thinking.

When a NYC kid shows up to school dressed like an Amish kid, then he's really making a statement about individuality. A NYC kid who wants to be an individual and so becomes goth isn't being an individual, he's fitting into a specific culture where he is like every other goth kid.

Same dynamic applies to thinking. Adopting liberalism as a teenager is NOT a sign of a free and critical thinker, it's group-think, it's going along with the crowd. The free and critical thinker is the kid who challenges liberal dogma, who understands why liberalism is a faith-based dogma resistant to disconfirming evidence. When his liberal peers yammer on about "Diversity is our Strength" he's the one who points out that there is a marked difference between the liberal expressed positions and their revealed positions by pointing to their housing choices, their schooling choices, their social networks, etc. He's the one who makes unpopular but extremely well defended arguments that unsettle his dogmatic peers. That's what critical thinking is about. Regurgitating liberal dogma is not free and critical thinking.

Being for a better environment doesn't mean one has to renounce all manufactured products, live barefoot and naked in the woods, using leaves as toilet paper.

On the other hand..over generalized, long winded diatribes.... well...meaningless...

My favorite of the whole bunch Skooks is::

Cookies must be enabled. The Australian
Now that's a policy I can support.. :lol:

I bet only 2% of the 300,000 understand that solar energy only works for 6 hours a day.

6,000 informed protesters wouldn't be bad.. Just knowing that Kennedy is behind this tells me all I need to know.. His face has been all over the circus.. Just wait until the walk-outs at the end of the Climate Summit. THAT will be a "demonstration"..

Being for a better environment doesn't mean one has to renounce all manufactured products, live barefoot and naked in the woods, using leaves as toilet paper.

On the other hand..over generalized, long winded diatribes.... well...meaningless...

Why do liberal indulgences get a pass while they seek to deny others their indulgences? If I wish to drive a Hummer why is that frowned up when an environmentalists jets into NYC to protests for a cleaner environnment? The watermelon is actually doing more harm than I would driving a Hummer for 6 months rather than an Escape Hybrid.

What high carbon indulgences do you believe are specific to liberals? I think I can guarantee you that travel by air isn't one of them.

There is no law against your Hummer but I hope you will remain aware that you are using more than your share of the world's fuel and that you are putting more than your share of pollution into the air that we all share.

Unofficial estimates put the number of marchers attending today's Peoples Climate March at 300k. An impressive number.

My unbelievably perfect 18 y/o daughter was there among them. Thankfully, we've got no shortage of forward thinking........wise young people ready to do what's right for this planet and those who inhabit it.

One step at a time.

It's always good to see kids thinking about more than just themselves and getting out there to do something beneficial, regardless of the cause. I'll be proud if any of my daughters do this when they are old enough.

I'm not sure this crowd is going to be good for her overall though. Have you seen the ignorance on display at the marches these days? It's astounding.

Not to mention the terrible stewardship this march had for the local environment:

xclimate-trash.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ht0xESNCEX.jpg

Far Left Climate Activists Leave Mounds of Trash For Cities to Deal With The Gateway Pundit

What high carbon indulgences do you believe are specific to liberals? I think I can guarantee you that travel by air isn't one of them.

There is no law against your Hummer but I hope you will remain aware that you are using more than your share of the world's fuel and that you are putting more than your share of pollution into the air that we all share.

Let's explore your thinking here because I'm very curious to understand how you arrived at your conclusions.

If I drove a Hummer how does that tell you anything about my share of the world's fuel?

The floor is yours.

People actually claim that environmentalism isn't a religion. Don't believe them.

tumblr_ncb4czrNMu1r7p8tto1_r1_500.png

I saw that pic posted somewhere else and it didn't surprise me in the least...other than that it only showed a dozen or so bowing before gaia or whoever the hell that is rather than the entire couple of hundred thousand of them.

I bet if you wander into your local theatre, you can find even more amazing images - with exactly as much significance.

And how many Americans go to their favorite churches every Sunday and perform these same sorts of rituals - with infinitely more sincerity than we find in this piece of play-acting - with images of men nailed to crosses, with stars of David, with stars and crescents? 150 million? More?

And if you'd paid attention to the context, these people aren't worshiping some new totalitarian leader, they are pretending to be YOU.

I bet if you wander into your local theatre, you can find even more amazing images - with exactly as much significance.

And how many Americans go to their favorite churches every Sunday and perform these same sorts of rituals - with infinitely more sincerity than we find in this piece of play-acting - with images of men nailed to crosses, with stars of David, with stars and crescents? 150 million? More?

And if you'd paid attention to the context, these people aren't worshiping some new totalitarian leader, they are pretending to be YOU.

Keep talking...you just keep revealing more and more about what makes you tick...why you are as you are becomes more clear every day.

Liberalism is to free and critical thinking as goth is to individualism.

Goths.jpg

This is the free and critical thinker, the one who doesn't go along with fashionable nonsense.

3fd2aeef9203302057ef13e360e5aa0a.jpg

Ummmm, you know that the Amish dress much the same, too, right? You just didn't catch this kid in a crowd.

You're right. So, are you deciding that my son accepts and regurgitates liberal dogma? Or that he's goth?

Your point is muddled. It almost feels like you're trying to insult my family without being caught.

You're right. So, are you deciding that my son accepts and regurgitates liberal dogma? Or that he's goth?

I'm not deciding, I'm guessing. You've revealed you're a liberal from NYC (or I picked up that impression along the way) and NYC is a liberal monoculture, so I'm presuming that you're a proud mom because your son goes along with the fashionable nonsense and you've mistakenly attributed his fitting in with the culture as arsing from his "free and critical thinking" because liberals have a lot of ego invested in believing that they are free and critical thinkers, unlike the mouth-breathing conservatives in fly-over country.

I know enough liberals, because I'm surrounded by them at work, that I detect their behavioral quirks. All I'm doing is working with general knowledge and using it to devise a parsimonious explanation. If your son was Alex P. Keaton and you were boasting about his being a free and critical thinker, then I'd have to eat my words and give kudos to mom for raising a kid who bucks family tradition and the cultural environment of his city/school/social network, for that kid would have had to arrive at his world view without family or social support, in other words, he'd have had to have followed a free and critical thinking path to be the stand-out.

I'm not deciding, I'm guessing. You've revealed you're a liberal from NYC (or I picked up that impression along the way) and NYC is a liberal monoculture, so I'm presuming that you're a proud mom because your son goes along with the fashionable nonsense and you've mistakenly attributed his fitting in with the culture as arsing from his "free and critical thinking" because liberals have a lot of ego invested in believing that they are free and critical thinkers, unlike the mouth-breathing conservatives in fly-over country.

I know enough liberals, because I'm surrounded by them at work, that I detect their behavioral quirks. All I'm doing is working with general knowledge and using it to devise a parsimonious explanation. If your son was Alex P. Keaton and you were boasting about his being a free and critical thinker, then I'd have to eat my words and give kudos to mom for raising a kid who bucks family tradition and the cultural environment of his city/school/social network, for that kid would have had to arrive at his world view without family or social support, in other words, he'd have had to have followed a free and critical thinking path to be the stand-out.

Have fun with your guessing game.

Unofficial estimates put the number of marchers attending today's Peoples Climate March at 300k. An impressive number.

My unbelievably perfect 18 y/o daughter was there among them. Thankfully, we've got no shortage of forward thinking........wise young people ready to do what's right for this planet and those who inhabit it.

One step at a time.

I'll be damned. My highly intelligent, not-to-mention handsome (and nice) son was there, too!
My three fantastic, brighter than average kids were not there. They were laughing at them though ;)

Forum List

Back