Just how far behind the curve can we put our children?

Most advanced math really is useless unless the career you choose to go into requires it. Remember all the stuff you learned in school your teacher assured you you would use in the real world? Most of it was horseshit.

Well, that post certainly explains a lot about you and your beliefs.

Being snide is not a rebuttal.

That you don't grasp that shows your education is not nearly as advanced as you would like to think.

The poster I quoted does a lot of that himself, so go take some Prozac and stare at a lava lamp or something.

if you're applying for a student loan, you might want to do the math before you sign the note. it means that you should have learned in high school. it's also easier to learn in high school before your brain gets turned into bong water in college. it's unfortunate, however, because learning how to find the area under a curve is good exercise, even if you don't need it for your major. all the cosmos is the elegance of maths, there's a certain joy to being in nature and seeing how every living thing has some intelligence in it, and how much of humanity depends upon that. maths are the only subject in school that is truly universal, so if you take that away can you still call it university?

So math is out for our children, but diversity classes are in.
Wayne State drops math as general ed requirement
David Jesse, Detroit Free Press 4:45 p.m. EDT June 12, 2016
The move means students won't have to take math class to graduate unless their major requires it
635844739880781441-WSU-102708-PB-107.jp-1-1-4K9D2VTT-L532927184.JPG
Buy Photo

(Photo: Patricia Beck, Detroit Free Press)

Wayne State University has subtracted mathematics from the list of classes all students must take to graduate.
Wayne State drops math as general ed requirement

College students are not children

if you're applying for a student loan, you might want to do the math before you sign the note. it means that you should have learned in high school. it's also easier to learn in high school before your brain gets turned into bong water in college. it's unfortunate, however, because learning how to find the area under a curve is good exercise, even if you don't need it for your major. all the cosmos is the elegance of maths, there's a certain joy to being in nature and seeing how every living thing has some intelligence in it, and how much of humanity depends upon that. maths are the only subject in school that is truly universal, so if you take that away can you still call it university?

If we wanted students to get "well rounded" educations, we should not have let college costs skyrocket for the last 40 years.

Expanding your horizons is great.

But not if it means that you will be under crushing debt for years longer.

I know people that ended up not having kids because it took them so long to get their finances in order, that by the time they were ready, it was too late.

Colleges need to explain and defend the absurd cost explosion.

College curriculums do need to be streamlined a bit. My major required several math courses that ultimately proved to be useless. I'm glad I went to college because I've been able to make a nice career out of my major. But 4 years? Half the shit was useless. On the other hand, college does weed out the people that can't cut it when life gets rough.
The hardest thing about college is trying to make financial ends meet..........The curriculum was easy..

Colleges and Universities already have math for non-science and non-business majors, and have had them for as long as I can remember. They used to be an easy A for them, but the grade schools and high schools are miserably failing at teaching core basics to the point most colleges would have very few seat warmers if standards of education were raised to the modest standards of even the early 1970's, which in itself was a highly dumbed down standard due to the grade inflation of the 1960's and the popularity of college with draft dodgers and lazy Burb Brats who just wanted to screw off for a few years instead of having to get a job.

You don't have to have math all through college, yet it may help later on..Depends on what degree on is after.....

Most advanced math really is useless unless the career you choose to go into requires it. Remember all the stuff you learned in school your teacher assured you you would use in the real world? Most of it was horseshit.

Well, that post certainly explains a lot about you and your beliefs.

Being snide is not a rebuttal.

That you don't grasp that shows your education is not nearly as advanced as you would like to think.

The poster I quoted does a lot of that himself, so go take some Prozac and stare at a lava lamp or something.

I don't even know who you are.

Forum List

Back