Just Got My New Rates for 2017...350% Increase! Are You Kidding?

The letter from Florida Blue arrived yesterday and my insurance premiums will have a 350% increase starting this January. Affordable Care Act? Thanks Barry! Thanks Harry! Thanks Nancy! Thanks Democrats!

What the hell happened to my savings of $2,500 a year?

Yeah, blame Obamacare. Don't blame those who have pushed for all the corruption.

How much do you have to pay just for the insurance company? A completely UNNECESSARY waste of space, and you have to pay loads just for them to do something useless and then make profits on it.

How much do you pay in drugs costing too much? Doctors choosing the most ridiculously expensive drug when a cheap one would do? How much do you have to pay for hospital profits, and for them to charge you for anything and everything.

The UK spends half what the US pays for healthcare, and people in the UK have complained (mostly the rich) that it costs too much. If you paid more than the UK pays for healthcare you'd have a decent system, AND pay less.

But no, blame Obama for trying to get poor people having insurance.

First, while there is some amount of corruption, there isn't nearly as much as you think. The ObamaCare bill was not pushed by the companies. It was pushed by Obama.

The costly regulations that have been driving up health care costs for decades were not pushed by the companies, they were pushed by the left.

The health insurance and hospitals didn't call up Obama and say "hey let's screw up the health care industry with costly stupid regulations!"

No, Obama called up the health care industry and said "I'm going to screw up the health industry with regulations. Do you have any suggestions?".

Second, if insurance companies were in fact unnecessary and a waste, then we would never have used them to start with. Funny how the Canadians actually sued their own government for the right to have private insurance, and France, Germany and numerous other countries, all have private insurance on top of their expensive gov-care system.

So oddly it would seem that most of the people in 1st world countries all believe insurance isn't a waste.

Third, while you claim that the UK spend half as much on health care, that isn't entirely true.

They spend less, because they get less. It's easy to say then spend half as much, when they don't get nearly as much.

25 cancer drugs to be denied on NHS

But hey... it keeps costs down.

Can I demand a specific treatment? - Health questions - NHS Choices

Straight from the NHS web site:
Remember that:
some types of treatment aren't available on the NHS

But at least it's cheaper! In fact not getting treatment is universally cheaper.

'I went abroad for prostate cancer therapy... and I'm sending the NHS

"While the NHS acknowledges the benefits of proton therapy and plans to build its own centres, many patients are given inferior treatments simply because the cost of sending patients to the US for this treatment – well over £100,000 - is too high.”

There you go. Yeah, we'll get that treatment here.... eventually.... but for now the cost is just too high, so you get this inferior treatment, and hope you live. Yeah, maybe you'd like a say in that, but since we're footing the bill, we'll make that call for you.

You know.... so we keep cost down. Wouldn't want to be as expensive as the US.

This is the problem dude. Comparing US to the UK health care, is not an apples to apples comparison. Never has been.

ZaJfvDUzBPZQGpDWCPgCflgTVVuS0dlUyZRZDFLRvOsuJIcRLkP186lHxdbRdyh6Vj2kEuGiGawRH9k19ZILls-vnRz7xoSY5m46zRksQ_tihsxvJvVWsEodxMnFbpUgW6SGifzYvXEecCBJiqW6G_-leFtyAbz8CoLakCMXaMIkqcW7YxQQoLoDrege9AaX_0eSKxPmh9yeZ51skhbSnl9lb5I9Zivpy7dXATMLkLGYyfmQZI3ozeJ_VL-12EkJ3tSnJXivjvFtVwiYlwe3fjxuSXS2PX-71n3Wwhyeow8-KkNZd28ZnaVnj4QnO2DXQ1LQI7leo0ykg5SIIi_tRPR1UhMie6_n-VizbJi3khbn1LNeuOAJPBlNrRG0PhuS1RIomUfW73sZ_n2i80LJBrfkqKy7gfSYTAx-ATOtvKSvsOuJlnABmWOwKAs1j0vf238T4v1GbNsp14j1y1jCq2IhtOZEuk8oqT2pL4ZN2hJcpJ-ZbCZpA10tuPCr3vMfStUy1QgfBHE2Zu92rD8UEeVyClyW5y6ipPftZqw0Q_S6gex9YHPEea3iR5jsZeemKEC0wJEt0Ebl99iqasbmmNNhFHjzRw0yoYIPY5vlo6NLTfxZ=w447-h640-no

Every time they have compared real survival rates on nearly everything, the US does better, and by a wide margin.

Do you really want to cut costs and risk dying more? You really want to cause literally millions of people to die, to save a few bucks?

Oh my God, you literally copied and pasted half a post. Seriously dude, I'm not dealing with that shit. I'm not searching your post to try and find which bits are new or not. Either repost without repeating whole chunks of something you probably copied from someone else in the first place, or just don't bother.

Left-wing debating strategy....

"You literally copied and pasted links, and quotes directly relevant to the discussion at hand that contradict my stated position and claims!....... Seriously dude, I'm not dealing with that shit."

arguingwithliberals.jpg

:rolleyes: Ok dude. No problem.

The letter from Florida Blue arrived yesterday and my insurance premiums will have a 350% increase starting this January. Affordable Care Act? Thanks Barry! Thanks Harry! Thanks Nancy! Thanks Democrats!

Yeah, blame Obamacare. Don't blame those who have pushed for all the corruption.

How much do you have to pay just for the insurance company? A completely UNNECESSARY waste of space, and you have to pay loads just for them to do something useless and then make profits on it.

How much do you pay in drugs costing too much? Doctors choosing the most ridiculously expensive drug when a cheap one would do? How much do you have to pay for hospital profits, and for them to charge you for anything and everything.

The UK spends half what the US pays for healthcare, and people in the UK have complained (mostly the rich) that it costs too much. If you paid more than the UK pays for healthcare you'd have a decent system, AND pay less.

So I shouldn't blame Obama for lying to me about what the ACA would cost? I shouldn't blame Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi for rushing an absolutely horrible piece of legislation through Congress before the representatives that the people elected to stop them could be seated? The liberal wing of the Democratic Party owns ObamaCare and owns it's failure. They wrote the law. They passed the law.

How much is the ACA costing you? How much of the increase has nothing to do with the ACA? How much of that increase is due to insurance companies putting prices up, hospitals putting prices up, pharma companies putting prices up?

ted_20101101.png

There was already an increase. A doubling in 10 years. So you tell me how much the ACA is costing you, and how much is just down to this "normal" increase.

Two problems.

You claim it's a normal increase. But is that in fact true?

In 2006, I got an insurance policy that was $67 a month. Today the cheapest is $250+.

That's not "a normal increase" by any measure I know of.

Here's what happened. I had a basic catastrophic coverage insurance policy. It was simple, and perfect for my needs.

Thanks to ObamaCare, you can't get those types of policies anymore. They simply don't exist. As a result, the left-wing idiots are comparing the full coverage expensive plans of 2006 to the expensive full coverage plans that ObamaCare requires by government regulation.

Yeah, if you compare expensive to expensive, then wow... the increase is only 11%.

Problem is, in the real world, where some of us had cheaper lower coverage insurance, going from $67 to $250, is not "only a normal increase".

The second problem is, while you are in fact correct the insurance premiums increased faster than inflation, what you never bother to ask is 'why?'.

The typical left-wing logic is:
1 never ask questions
2 cite the fact prices have gone up
3 demand a government program and regulations
4 and blame the rich.

But in reality the entire reason health care prices have gone up, is specifically because of government programs and regulations.

I'll give you the most obvious and well documented example.

6IIBW1xvLyPTzRb-7Wb-hEC9jfovImLbqo2v7hf4jigyQjf5-wads3x2vjBBM-fJGp0t4z5zKBSe7yzYOLRXZ9KcOUS4BPctJudf1gW0oGapH0XqpVnpk6NA2IFYhDm9aj2ZyzRB7prTNoMKUMfD6sl3ETIqoLwp54AGc9SAcg_fT8oEfPuydJdcxYNNnUPuF_XJS_Ueg9MMQiS8VKoHLjK3-LY9NPE0EXn3UChkfX37GYsZMmtvLBGlXwXGw_aoFQjkX-cd33TjPYVVdEnqoI2sJB0U6HMEyRg5nPOq7Pm-Aa8492LAo82YugWRDJFowvbdJqwdGZg4pYFNQQrF09l6pSHMgikI1T4jf8hs6tD-LItgGtsBOpvuK7RT6_ZsMCEE2UQNZcAl2lHniEarP3k6u7PDNTl6kzofLD2L-MrQjyqZMYWMvNidX9A_4lwNZ1j5bxzRaIvQHuyGAn95-U_5fCdyq25tHlmbfniI-ac7RbLH1LKzHw9WOGW4Os0XJHKheqidpwwCp0_RIfsl_TIUQ7ulKCvmwOeL1X5uZ5vN5ngwt_I4Iyakj5BF5AZbwtO7shA93JYTpDHZCfx2PuPvxk-tGp6FhOOufDjP1xSPzc0x=w619-h350-no

Medicare, and Medicaid both (medicaid being the worst of the two), pay less than the cost of treatment.

So as you can see from the graph, as Medicare and Medicaid reduce their prices, the money lost to health care providers goes up. As a result you can see the green line is private costs goes up, when payouts from Medicare and Medicaid go down.

This is called cost shifting. They are shifting the money lost on gov-patients, to private patients. We have to pay a much higher price than real cost of care, so that Medicare and Medicaid patients pay a lower price. There is no free lunch. There is no 'regulation to savings' system. Someone has to pay the bill.

This is because of government programs and government regulations.

So what did the left-wing do? They looked at a price increases caused by government regulations and government programs, and immediately jumped to the standard default left-wing response to all problems, and demanded more regulations and more government programs.

And then when the endless programs and regulations didn't have the result they wanted.... now they are saying "well obviously it's corruption and greed".

Then they come on forums like this, and wonder why we're blaming ObamaCare for making it worse. Well what did ObamaCare do? Drastically increase Medicaid, and increased Medicare, and drastically increased costly regulations on the insurance industry, which as you can see from the graph naturally results in cost shifting towards private insurers...... which is us.

First, while there is some amount of corruption, there isn't nearly as much as you think. The ObamaCare bill was not pushed by the companies. It was pushed by Obama.

The costly regulations that have been driving up health care costs for decades were not pushed by the companies, they were pushed by the left.

The health insurance and hospitals didn't call up Obama and say "hey let's screw up the health care industry with costly stupid regulations!"

No, Obama called up the health care industry and said "I'm going to screw up the health industry with regulations. Do you have any suggestions?".

Second, if insurance companies were in fact unnecessary and a waste, then we would never have used them to start with. Funny how the Canadians actually sued their own government for the right to have private insurance, and France, Germany and numerous other countries, all have private insurance on top of their expensive gov-care system.

So oddly it would seem that most of the people in 1st world countries all believe insurance isn't a waste.

Third, while you claim that the UK spend half as much on health care, that isn't entirely true.

They spend less, because they get less. It's easy to say then spend half as much, when they don't get nearly as much.

Remember that:

But at least it's cheaper! In fact not getting treatment is universally cheaper.

"While the NHS acknowledges the benefits of proton therapy and plans to build its own centres, many patients are given inferior treatments simply because the cost of sending patients to the US for this treatment – well over £100,000 - is too high.”

There you go. Yeah, we'll get that treatment here.... eventually.... but for now the cost is just too high, so you get this inferior treatment, and hope you live. Yeah, maybe you'd like a say in that, but since we're footing the bill, we'll make that call for you.

This is the problem dude. Comparing US to the UK health care, is not an apples to apples comparison. Never has been.

ZaJfvDUzBPZQGpDWCPgCflgTVVuS0dlUyZRZDFLRvOsuJIcRLkP186lHxdbRdyh6Vj2kEuGiGawRH9k19ZILls-vnRz7xoSY5m46zRksQ_tihsxvJvVWsEodxMnFbpUgW6SGifzYvXEecCBJiqW6G_-leFtyAbz8CoLakCMXaMIkqcW7YxQQoLoDrege9AaX_0eSKxPmh9yeZ51skhbSnl9lb5I9Zivpy7dXATMLkLGYyfmQZI3ozeJ_VL-12EkJ3tSnJXivjvFtVwiYlwe3fjxuSXS2PX-71n3Wwhyeow8-KkNZd28ZnaVnj4QnO2DXQ1LQI7leo0ykg5SIIi_tRPR1UhMie6_n-VizbJi3khbn1LNeuOAJPBlNrRG0PhuS1RIomUfW73sZ_n2i80LJBrfkqKy7gfSYTAx-ATOtvKSvsOuJlnABmWOwKAs1j0vf238T4v1GbNsp14j1y1jCq2IhtOZEuk8oqT2pL4ZN2hJcpJ-ZbCZpA10tuPCr3vMfStUy1QgfBHE2Zu92rD8UEeVyClyW5y6ipPftZqw0Q_S6gex9YHPEea3iR5jsZeemKEC0wJEt0Ebl99iqasbmmNNhFHjzRw0yoYIPY5vlo6NLTfxZ=w447-h640-no

Every time they have compared real survival rates on nearly everything, the US does better, and by a wide margin.

Do you really want to cut costs and risk dying more? You really want to cause literally millions of people to die, to save a few bucks?

Oh my God, you literally copied and pasted half a post. Seriously dude, I'm not dealing with that shit. I'm not searching your post to try and find which bits are new or not. Either repost without repeating whole chunks of something you probably copied from someone else in the first place, or just don't bother.

Ok ok ok ... hold on....

My apology. I assumed you were being deflective, because I missed your response.

I didn't actually cut and paste anything, which is why I assumed that.

The problem is I wrote that post at 4 AM. I don't know if you know this, but the forum has a maintenance cycle at 4 AM, and when you click on post... nothing happens.

So nothing happened, I realized how late it was, and went to bed. When I woke up I clicked post. What I didn't know is that it actually did post at 4 AM. Just didn't show up on my computer.

So it's not a cut paste, it's a duplicate post.

Honest mistake. My bad. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.... like you did. J/K! :)

Remember that:

Left-wing debating strategy....

"You literally copied and pasted links, and quotes directly relevant to the discussion at hand that contradict my stated position and claims!....... Seriously dude, I'm not dealing with that shit."

View attachment 96016

:rolleyes: Ok dude. No problem.

Did you, or did you not post the same thing in two different posts?

Yes you did. Don't fucking try and come at me and complain this is "left wing debate strategy", you did it, and it's pretty fucking clear you did it.

So I shouldn't blame Obama for lying to me about what the ACA would cost? I shouldn't blame Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi for rushing an absolutely horrible piece of legislation through Congress before the representatives that the people elected to stop them could be seated? The liberal wing of the Democratic Party owns ObamaCare and owns it's failure. They wrote the law. They passed the law.

How much is the ACA costing you? How much of the increase has nothing to do with the ACA? How much of that increase is due to insurance companies putting prices up, hospitals putting prices up, pharma companies putting prices up?

ted_20101101.png

There was already an increase. A doubling in 10 years. So you tell me how much the ACA is costing you, and how much is just down to this "normal" increase.

Two problems.

You claim it's a normal increase. But is that in fact true?

In 2006, I got an insurance policy that was $67 a month. Today the cheapest is $250+.

That's not "a normal increase" by any measure I know of.

Here's what happened. I had a basic catastrophic coverage insurance policy. It was simple, and perfect for my needs.

Thanks to ObamaCare, you can't get those types of policies anymore. They simply don't exist. As a result, the left-wing idiots are comparing the full coverage expensive plans of 2006 to the expensive full coverage plans that ObamaCare requires by government regulation.

Yeah, if you compare expensive to expensive, then wow... the increase is only 11%.

Problem is, in the real world, where some of us had cheaper lower coverage insurance, going from $67 to $250, is not "only a normal increase".

The second problem is, while you are in fact correct the insurance premiums increased faster than inflation, what you never bother to ask is 'why?'.

The typical left-wing logic is:
1 never ask questions
2 cite the fact prices have gone up
3 demand a government program and regulations
4 and blame the rich.

But in reality the entire reason health care prices have gone up, is specifically because of government programs and regulations.

I'll give you the most obvious and well documented example.

6IIBW1xvLyPTzRb-7Wb-hEC9jfovImLbqo2v7hf4jigyQjf5-wads3x2vjBBM-fJGp0t4z5zKBSe7yzYOLRXZ9KcOUS4BPctJudf1gW0oGapH0XqpVnpk6NA2IFYhDm9aj2ZyzRB7prTNoMKUMfD6sl3ETIqoLwp54AGc9SAcg_fT8oEfPuydJdcxYNNnUPuF_XJS_Ueg9MMQiS8VKoHLjK3-LY9NPE0EXn3UChkfX37GYsZMmtvLBGlXwXGw_aoFQjkX-cd33TjPYVVdEnqoI2sJB0U6HMEyRg5nPOq7Pm-Aa8492LAo82YugWRDJFowvbdJqwdGZg4pYFNQQrF09l6pSHMgikI1T4jf8hs6tD-LItgGtsBOpvuK7RT6_ZsMCEE2UQNZcAl2lHniEarP3k6u7PDNTl6kzofLD2L-MrQjyqZMYWMvNidX9A_4lwNZ1j5bxzRaIvQHuyGAn95-U_5fCdyq25tHlmbfniI-ac7RbLH1LKzHw9WOGW4Os0XJHKheqidpwwCp0_RIfsl_TIUQ7ulKCvmwOeL1X5uZ5vN5ngwt_I4Iyakj5BF5AZbwtO7shA93JYTpDHZCfx2PuPvxk-tGp6FhOOufDjP1xSPzc0x=w619-h350-no

Medicare, and Medicaid both (medicaid being the worst of the two), pay less than the cost of treatment.

So as you can see from the graph, as Medicare and Medicaid reduce their prices, the money lost to health care providers goes up. As a result you can see the green line is private costs goes up, when payouts from Medicare and Medicaid go down.

This is called cost shifting. They are shifting the money lost on gov-patients, to private patients. We have to pay a much higher price than real cost of care, so that Medicare and Medicaid patients pay a lower price. There is no free lunch. There is no 'regulation to savings' system. Someone has to pay the bill.

This is because of government programs and government regulations.

So what did the left-wing do? They looked at a price increases caused by government regulations and government programs, and immediately jumped to the standard default left-wing response to all problems, and demanded more regulations and more government programs.

And then when the endless programs and regulations didn't have the result they wanted.... now they are saying "well obviously it's corruption and greed".

Then they come on forums like this, and wonder why we're blaming ObamaCare for making it worse. Well what did ObamaCare do? Drastically increase Medicaid, and increased Medicare, and drastically increased costly regulations on the insurance industry, which as you can see from the graph naturally results in cost shifting towards private insurers...... which is us.

No, I didn't say it was a normal increase. I said increases were normal.

What you've said is that it was X amount in 2006 and now it's X+Y amount today, but nowhere have you shown me that this has anything to do with Obamacare. You're just expecting me to believe you. Why would I just believe you?

Is it thanks to Obamacare, or is it thanks to the Insurance Companies? Who took these policies away? But luckily for you, you can hop onto a plane to London and get healthcare free. So.....

For fuck's sake, you're throwing "this is left wing tactics" at me again. Stop it, it doesn't do anything, you do it again, i'm not going to reply.

You're accusing me of not asking questions, when I've asked you questions.
You're accusing me of citing FACTS. Fucking hell. It's a "left wing tactic" to cite facts? Well I'd fucking hope so.
You're accusing me of wanting the govt to sort out the problem. What, so you don't want the problem solved? Fucking hell.
Blame the rich? Er... Trump is blaming the rich and loads of Republicans are going to vote for him for that. Who controls govt? Oh, the rich. But it's not their fault that they're controlling it, whose fault is it then? Your fault? Fine, next time I'll just blame you for everything.

Your example means what? It means that health insurance sucks and is a bad way of dealing with healthcare. Often the govt run programs pay less than what the hospitals charge because the hospitals charge way too fucking much.

You think it's about more govt regulation? No, I'm saying go for total govt control so that all people can get medical care without having to deal with the leeches that are insurance companies which cost you an absolute fortune. If insurance companies cost you 28% of your healthcare costs, you pay $250 a year, you're paying $70 a year just to the insurance companies every year for them to do nothing worthwhile. The reality is 50% of what you are spending you wouldn't be spending in the UK, even in 2010 when the NHS was good. And you're complaining it costs too much, without actually looking at why it costs too much.

You like paying $70 a year to insurance companies to basically do nothing worthwhile?

Remember that:

Ok ok ok ... hold on....

My apology. I assumed you were being deflective, because I missed your response.

I didn't actually cut and paste anything, which is why I assumed that.

The problem is I wrote that post at 4 AM. I don't know if you know this, but the forum has a maintenance cycle at 4 AM, and when you click on post... nothing happens.

So nothing happened, I realized how late it was, and went to bed. When I woke up I clicked post. What I didn't know is that it actually did post at 4 AM. Just didn't show up on my computer.

So it's not a cut paste, it's a duplicate post.

Honest mistake. My bad. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.... like you did. J/K! :)

Oh, right. I noticed the bottom half was different though, there was some chart, so I assumed you were just throwing the same thing at me.

And why are you not blaming insurers?

Health care costs went up every single year before Obamacare.

I swear, you people are gullible. You believe wingnut media over your own past experiences.

Mine went up 350% you buffoon! 350%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would like to see the letter you got. I think you are not being honest.

I swear, you people are gullible. You believe wingnut media over your own past experiences.

Stories abound all over the country like that. You are a brainwashed leftist that no longer owns your own mind.

Actually Ravi...I'm the only one being honest in this discussion! You progressives lied to us about being able to keep your plan if you liked it. You lied to us about being able to keep your doctor if you liked them. You lied to us about the average Middle Class family saving $2,500 a year in premiums.

I lost my old plan because it was no longer offered. My old doctor opted out of taking ACA patients so I now have someone new.. My healthcare premiums are going up 350% in January. Yet you doubt MY honesty? Why don't you go fuck yourself!

Actually Ravi...I'm the only one being honest in this discussion! You progressives lied to us about being able to keep your plan if you liked it. You lied to us about being able to keep your doctor if you liked them. You lied to us about the average Middle Class family saving $2,500 a year in premiums.

I lost my old plan because it was no longer offered. My old doctor opted out of taking ACA patients so I now have someone new.. My healthcare premiums are going up 350% in January. Yet you doubt MY honesty? Why don't you go fuck yourself!
What are ACA patients? Are you saying your doctor stopped taking all patients who have health care insurance? So he only takes cash, or Medicare???

I didn't think you'd produce it.

What is with you people? You rabidly support something that you seem to know nothing about. Is it sheer stupidity or are you willfully ignoring reality?

In the case of my previous doctor he made the decision to drop people on ObamaCare because he was getting paid less for services for them then he was for those with private insurance plans. I couldn't "keep" my doctor because he wouldn't take my plan! Do you really not know that people all over the country are having a hard time finding doctors that accept ObamaCare patients?

In the case of my previous doctor he made the decision to drop people on ObamaCare because he was getting paid less for services for them then he was for those with private insurance plans. I couldn't "keep" my doctor because he wouldn't take my plan! Do you really not know that people all over the country are having a hard time finding doctors that accept ObamaCare patients?
do you have some kind of link with proof that the insurance companies on the Exchange pay less to doctors for specific procedures than they do with their insurance policies they offer off of the exchange?

do you have some kind of link with proof that the insurance companies on the Exchange pay less to doctors for specific procedures than they do with their insurance policies they offer off of the exchange?

You really ARE that clueless about what's going on with the ACA...aren't you, Care?

"The Affordable Care Act increased insurers’ costs by forbidding denial of coverage to consumers with pre-existing conditions and by imposing taxes and fees to fund aspects of the new law. To make up for ACA costs and keep premiums low, Blue Shield asked its doctors and hospitals to accept payments from the insurer at rates reduced up to 30 percent.

Not surprisingly, some doctors and hospitals rejected Blue Shield’s reduced payment rates and decided not to re-sign contracts with the insurer. At least three major Los Angeles hospitals previously covered by Blue Shield — UCLA, Cedars Sinai and Good Samaritan — have opted out of the insurer’s new network, said Lindy Wagner, corporate communications manager of Blue Shield."

How Obamacare Leaves Some People Without Doctors | Huffington Post

Forum List

Back