Can a baby be born such that ...

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
... it is in constant pain? Like as a result of a birth defect, or injury, or infection, or malpractice? And if yes, what is its life expectancy?

... it is in constant pain? Like as a result of a birth defect, or injury, or infection, or malpractice? And if yes, what is its life expectancy?

Yes, of course its possible and not that uncommon.

Life expectancy depends on what is wrong.

Certainly. There are lots of conditions a child can be born with that have constant pain. Life expectancy depends on the condition.

Certainly. There are lots of conditions a child can be born with that have constant pain. Life expectancy depends on the condition.

Is the hospital bound to keep alive such a newborn? I am curious what is generally understood as a humane solution in such a situation. Or maybe is it entirely determined by the parents finances or insurance terms? I guess this is different from accidental injury or geriatric treatment plans, because the usual at fault parties can't be identified by a injury lawyer.

What makes you think of such a thing?!

Anyway, we can generally sedate babies and adults alike. Yea modernity!

I have a classmate who's friend had a baby which is in this category if I understand it correctly. I heard too that the baby is also blind in addition to being in pain. They don't yet know if it is medical malpractice or motherly misconduct, or other, but very interesting as a case. It must totally suck to be that baby.

About the sedation, can they keep that up for the entire life span of the baby?

Is the hospital bound to keep alive such a newborn? I am curious what is generally understood as a humane solution in such a situation. Or maybe is it entirely determined by the parents finances or insurance terms? I guess this is different from accidental injury or geriatric treatment plans, because the usual at fault parties can't be identified by a injury lawyer.

yes

it is up to the parents

yes

it is up to the parents

This is a scary part of civilization then, parents can be as selfish as laws can be cleverly evil.

I have a classmate who's friend had a baby which is in this category if I understand it correctly. I heard too that the baby is also blind in addition to being in pain. They don't yet know if it is medical malpractice or motherly misconduct, or other, but very interesting as a case. It must totally suck to be that baby.

long ago i established an adult foster care for three young adults born without hearing or sight

with varying degrees of mental functioning

they all had a good quality of life

yes

it is up to the parents

This is a scary part of civilization then, parents can be as selfish as laws can be cleverly evil.

from my perspective i would rather have a relative making that decision

other then the state deciding fates

yes

it is up to the parents

This is very complicated. I can imagine, that quality of life is so subjective that even the worst injury and birth defect can fail to make the patient take a second look.

Then this may be true for the family too. And then if this is different between the two parties, I guess the state could arbitrate, but the state's hands are now tied. Why should we keep the state's hand tied? I know that in China, the state will keep people alive without care and without even pain management, simply because this is the law there and the doctors get paid accordingly.

yes

it is up to the parents

This is very complicated. I can imagine, that quality of life is so subjective that even the worst injury and birth defect can fail to make the patient take a second look.

Then this may be true for the family too. And then if this is different between the two parties, I guess the state could arbitrate, but the state's hands are now tied. Why should we keep the state's hand tied? I know that in China, the state will keep people alive without care and without even pain management, simply because this is the law there and the doctors get paid accordingly.
it is not complicated at all it is a personal issue with the family

in fact it is criminal for providers to call or attempt to call the shots on who lives or dies

Born to a life of pain?

Yeah, a serious risk when both parents are liberal.

Life expectancy is a complex variable. Most such continue to consume precious air far longer than they ought.

long ago i established an adult foster care for three young adults born without hearing or sight

This has just occurred to me. How do you establish a quality of life for those patients that are both deaf and blind, like in your facility? That seems to be a sensory minimum. The only contact for them with reality is their skin. So do they get like a weekly massage or what to establish that? Mysterious.

with that said.....baby born here...under 2 lbs....i thought when i made the gofund me donations it would be for the babies funeral costs....(it was funding to allow mom to be with baby) well i will be damned according to facebook pics that little booger is growing and fighting....

This has just occurred to me. How do you establish a quality of life for those patients that are both deaf and blind, like in your facility? That seems to be a sensory minimum. The only contact for them with reality is their skin. So do they get like a weekly massage or what to establish that? Mysterious.

no mystery they communicate with hand in hand sign language plus those three have some verbalization skills

like anyone else they know when they are happy sad or hurt for example

yes

it is up to the parents

Ultimately, evil cannot be stopped. It can only be continuously fought.

New Topics

Forum List

Back