Just got a 17HMR

warf

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2014
I took my new Savage 17HMR to the range for the first time.

I'm amazed! It is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, right out of the box.

It took about 10 shots to zero the scope and then I started working at 100 yards. All 5 shot groups were under an inch. Most were around 3/4 inch.

The trigger seemed fine with no adjustment needed. It seemed smooth with no roughness and light enough. But I was benching. I'll see how it is when I shoot off hand.

Now that it's zeroed and had 100 rounds through it I'm anxious to try it at 200 yds.

this caliber is perfect for prairie dogs. it's got the sort of crack that doesn't seem to make all of the picketpins dive for their holes, for 1/4 mile away, like the 223 seems to do.

ballistics charts say that that bullet is barely 2000 fps remaining at 200 yds, yet it still has plenty of effect, obviously, despite the small diameter and very lw bullet

but if you use the silencer, the 223 is QUIETER than the .17 rimfire, and with the .22lr conversion unit and subsonic 22lr ammo, it sounds like a BB gun. With a folding blind and your framepack or a sitting bipod, you can set up in the center of a prairie dog town, wipe out a 70 yd radius, move 140 yds and repeat. :)

You really are obsessed with suppressed weapons, aren't you?

But at least this time you weren't on about STHF. I don't see spending an extra $1k to suppress a .17HMR, when you could buy and accessorize another rifle for that.

Anyone have any experience with the 17 wsm? Benn thinking of buying but there never is any ammo around in the stores

There is not likely to be any ammo and after a while the guns for the ammo will disappear too.

This is a cartridge that is an answer without a question. It might be good for varmint control and short range target duty but it is, at the same time, just a faster version of other small caliber cartridges that suffer from the effects of wind which limit its effective range even more than its lack of performance in terminal ballistics.

Forum List

Back