Just an Idea that came up and I decided to put it to use

Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Where the wild things are
Not long ago on a thread we discussed the general idea of language. So I thought as a way of getting do discuss something in a polite manner which will not include bashing or sluring, but simple idea which means to help, I'll start a "little thread" which is dedicated to my mother tongue- Hebrew.

If you're interested, I'll start by explaining the simple things, if not, tell me and I'll simply leave it and not continue.

--------------

So, the simple things you need to know for starters, is that in Hebrew there are 22 letters. two kinds of writing. We call it the "Dfus" letters ("printing letters") and the Khtav letters ("writing letters")

hebrewc.gif

Dfus letters

TEKEN2.jpg

Khtav letters (informal writing)

The first letter in hebrew, is "Aleph":

16k964z.jpg

This letter can appear in two situations. The "regular" Aleph, which is pronounced as the English letter "A" like in the name "Abraham". Other situation is where the Aleph is "silent" where its sound is unheard.

Second letter will be "Beit":

2akcvwg.jpg
or
2unyj2f.jpg

The first is prounaunces "Beit" like in the word "Boy" and the second, the one without the tiny dot, is prounanced "Veit" like in the word "Vegas":D

In Hebrew there is no difference between B and V in letters. For both the letter will be "Beit".

The tiny dot symbolizes the difference between the way of speech.

Third letter will be "Gimel"-

sdpbpd.jpg

Gimel also has two ways of pronouncing. First will be the regular "Gimal" like in the word "Goal". Second will be when above the letter there is a small comma, which will turn it into sounding like a "J". like "Jack".

In Hebrew the letter J and letter G are both "Gimel".

Next will be "Dalet"

ifzfgn.jpg

Said like letter "D". I don't think there's anything special about this one:)

Next will be "Hei":

w7zqbk.jpg

This letter is said like an "H". It also has two situations. Pronounced "Hei" and the silent "Hei". pronounced will be like in the word "Harbe", "הרבה" which means "a lot", and silent like in the word "Neshika", "נשיקה" which means "touch" or "kiss".

In Hebrew, the letter "Hei" stands also for the God of Israel.

Next in line is "Vav"

2vv47dh.jpg

Vav is the letter of many options:tongue:. It stand for 3 basic shapes of saying. Simple Vav will be similar to the English letter "V". Vav with the tiny dot inside (Like seen in letter "Beit") will be pronounced like U, or OO, as in the word "Baloon". Vav will be also said as an "O" when the dot will not be in its middle but on top of the letter.

Number seven is "Zayin"-

k2lrgk.jpg

Will be pronounced as the English letter "Z".

Next is Cheit

1zn661g.jpg

Hebrew, like Arabic, is called "Language of the throat" and not "of the tongue". Letter Cheit, will have the sound of "kh", or like in spanish "J" or "X".

Next is the letter Tet

33dflsh.jpg

For non-Natural Hebrew speakers, this letter will be frustrating. It's a letter exactly like the letter "T", and pronounced exactly like the finale Hebrew letter "Taf"(ת), up to the point that its not very clear why it exists in the first place. It simply does:cool:

Difference is with spelling. There are Hebrew words which can be used only by letter "Tet", like the word "Tavas", "טווס", which means "peacock". Other words will be always used by "Taf", like the word "Te'om","תאום" which means "twin". But there are words which can be used either by Taf or Teit, and it won't be considered a spelling mistake. Such is the word "Turkey"(state). It can be written by "Taf"- תורכיה, or "Tet"- טורקיה

number 10 will be "Yod":

wtj729.jpg

This letter will be standing for both "Y" and "U".

Next in line is "Kaf":

nog9aw.jpg
or
kyr1d.jpg
or
2qavc6t.jpg

Letter with a few options, as well. When the dot appears in middle of the letter it will be pronounced as "Kaf", like a "K". example will be the word "Kelev", "כלב" which is "dog". In the second example this letter will have the sound of "Kh" like the letter "Cheit", like the word "Kahal","כחל" which is a specific bird species. Third example will be "ך" which is the "finale" shape of the letter "Kaf". It will be used in the words which end with "Kaf" like "Anach","אנך" which means "a straight line".

We have Alef, He and Kaf in Arabic language/grammar.

The He is more of a Heen though.

Not long ago on a thread we discussed the general idea of language. So I thought as a way of getting do discuss something in a polite manner which will not include bashing or sluring, but simple idea which means to help, I'll start a "little thread" which is dedicated to my mother tongue- Hebrew.

If you're interested, I'll start by explaining the simple things, if not, tell me and I'll simply leave it and not continue.

--------------

So, the simple things you need to know for starters, is that in Hebrew there are 22 letters. two kinds of writing. We call it the "Dfus" letters ("printing letters") and the Khtav letters ("writing letters")

hebrewc.gif

Dfus letters

TEKEN2.jpg

Khtav letters (informal writing)

The first letter in hebrew, is "Aleph":

16k964z.jpg

This letter can appear in two situations. The "regular" Aleph, which is pronounced as the English letter "A" like in the name "Abraham". Other situation is where the Aleph is "silent" where its sound is unheard.

Second letter will be "Beit":

2akcvwg.jpg
or
2unyj2f.jpg

The first is prounaunces "Beit" like in the word "Boy" and the second, the one without the tiny dot, is prounanced "Veit" like in the word "Vegas":D

In Hebrew there is no difference between B and V in letters. For both the letter will be "Beit".

The tiny dot symbolizes the difference between the way of speech.

Third letter will be "Gimel"-

sdpbpd.jpg

Gimel also has two ways of pronouncing. First will be the regular "Gimal" like in the word "Goal". Second will be when above the letter there is a small comma, which will turn it into sounding like a "J". like "Jack".

In Hebrew the letter J and letter G are both "Gimel".

Next will be "Dalet"

ifzfgn.jpg

Said like letter "D". I don't think there's anything special about this one:)

Next will be "Hei":

w7zqbk.jpg

This letter is said like an "H". It also has two situations. Pronounced "Hei" and the silent "Hei". pronounced will be like in the word "Harbe", "הרבה" which means "a lot", and silent like in the word "Neshika", "נשיקה" which means "touch" or "kiss".

In Hebrew, the letter "Hei" stands also for the God of Israel.

Next in line is "Vav"

2vv47dh.jpg

Vav is the letter of many options:tongue:. It stand for 3 basic shapes of saying. Simple Vav will be similar to the English letter "V". Vav with the tiny dot inside (Like seen in letter "Beit") will be pronounced like U, or OO, as in the word "Baloon". Vav will be also said as an "O" when the dot will not be in its middle but on top of the letter.

Number seven is "Zayin"-

k2lrgk.jpg

Will be pronounced as the English letter "Z".

Next is Cheit

1zn661g.jpg

Hebrew, like Arabic, is called "Language of the throat" and not "of the tongue". Letter Cheit, will have the sound of "kh", or like in spanish "J" or "X".

Next is the letter Tet

33dflsh.jpg

For non-Natural Hebrew speakers, this letter will be frustrating. It's a letter exactly like the letter "T", and pronounced exactly like the finale Hebrew letter "Taf"(ת), up to the point that its not very clear why it exists in the first place. It simply does:cool:

Difference is with spelling. There are Hebrew words which can be used only by letter "Tet", like the word "Tavas", "טווס", which means "peacock". Other words will be always used by "Taf", like the word "Te'om","תאום" which means "twin". But there are words which can be used either by Taf or Teit, and it won't be considered a spelling mistake. Such is the word "Turkey"(state). It can be written by "Taf"- תורכיה, or "Tet"- טורקיה

number 10 will be "Yod":

wtj729.jpg

This letter will be standing for both "Y" and "U".

Next in line is "Kaf":

nog9aw.jpg
or
kyr1d.jpg
or
2qavc6t.jpg

Letter with a few options, as well. When the dot appears in middle of the letter it will be pronounced as "Kaf", like a "K". example will be the word "Kelev", "כלב" which is "dog". In the second example this letter will have the sound of "Kh" like the letter "Cheit", like the word "Kahal","כחל" which is a specific bird species. Third example will be "ך" which is the "finale" shape of the letter "Kaf". It will be used in the words which end with "Kaf" like "Anach","אנך" which means "a straight line".

Wow that reminded me of my Hebrew School days!!:eusa_angel:

Next is "Lamed":

r9hmvk.jpg

Will be similar to the letter "L". Nothing special about it.

Next is the letter "Mem":

2iqddu8.jpg
or
iwou8h.jpg

Will be said like letter "M" in English. First is the regular "M", like in the word "Mango", "מנגו". Second is the "finale Mem", like in the word "Olam", "עולם" which means "world" or "globe".

Next is "Nun"

s45j04.jpg
or
2z8vpsi.jpg

Will stand for the letter "N" in English.regular version, like the word "Noun", and Second version is the "final" version of the letter "Nun", like the word "Katan", "'קטן" which means "tiny".

Coming next is "Samech":

2i1nqyt_th.gif

Will stand for the letter "S" in English. One of the two which stand for that letter. the Other one will be "Shin".

Next is the letter "Ayin":

332miz5.jpg

Another one of the "throat letters", Ayin will have the sound of "aa", said from the throat. Just like the word "Ma'ayan" which means "pond"

Next is letter "Pe"("Pei"):

2wom49j.jpg
or
view.php
or
view.php

Letter "Pei" has also more than one version of use. When coming with the tiny dot, it will be pronounced as "P", like in the word "popcorn","פופקורן". at some cases will be used as an "f", like the word "פן", "fan". It also has a "final" letter, "Fei" like in the word "Of","עוף" which means "chicken".

Next in line is "Tzade":):

view.php
or
166lssk.jpg

Most israelis call it "Tzadik":D. This letter pronounced like "Ts" or "Tz". like in the word "Tzipor","ציפור",which means "bird". Also has a final version letter like "Ilutz", "אילוץ" which means "by force".

Next is "Kuf" ("Koof"):

wtbpsj_th.gif

Heard and said like a "K", for example the word "Kof", "קוף" which means "monkey".

Now, approaching the end, is the letter "Reish":

27xpl41.jpg

Just like and "R" in English. for example the word "Rishon", "ראשון", which means "first".

One before last is "Shin":

351u1km.jpg

It has two ways of pronouncing. The "dot", when appears on the right side of the letter, means it shold be said "Shin", as in "Sh". When it is on the LEFT side, it will be said as an "S". Shin, like the word "Sha'a", "שעה" which means "hour", or "Sin", like the word "Sikha" which mans "a conversation".

Last one is "Taf" (Or "Tav")

2z6z775.jpg

Is similar to the "T" and most common used to use the "T" sound. Like the word "Tapuah", "תפוח" which means "apple".

And those are the Hebrew letters! Yaaay!:tongue:

---------

To the next part:

In the first step for readers, when children just begin to study, it is almost always happens that there is a high use of the Hebrew punctuation.

Since readers at first cannot tell the difference of how a word shold be red, the panctuation helps-

From right to left-

731etd.jpg

"Chataf Patah", "Hataf Segol", and "Hataf Kamatz", are the point marks appearing underneath the letters. All sign those should be red as "Aaaa".

29ekqqg.jpg

"Patah" and "Kamats" also tell us those should be read as "aa". Will usually appear at the beginning of the word.

59zy87.jpg

"Tzere" and "segol" tell us those should be said as an "E" like "Melekh","מלך", which means "king".

vih2xf.jpg

"Cholam" tells us the letter should be pronounced as "O".

"Shuruk" tells us the letter should be pronounced as "oo".

And the "Dagesh" is to "bold" the word, turning the "Vav" into "U" and the "Veit" into "Beit".

In Hebrew there is a difference between male and female.

Unlike in English.

The word "You", will be said differently between male and female".

If I adress to a man, I will say "Ata", "אתה", which means "you".

If I adress to a lady, I wil say "At","את", which also stands for "you".

When I adress to myself, I, as a female, add the letter "Hei" to any verb I say. The "Hei" will be the silent, and will be heard like a simple "a" at the end of what I say.

If I am a man, I will say "Ani Yachol", "אני יכול", or "I can".

If I am a woman, I wil say "Ani Yechola", "אני יכולה", which will mean "I can" for female.

----------

Two are the main confusing issues in Hebrew, which are the idea of understanding the difference between male and female way of speech.

Usually, when we ad the letter "Hei" to a noun, or and object, sounds like "a", it means we're adressing a female.

"Ish" (man) will be "Isha" (woman)

"Yeled" (Boy) and "Yalda" (girl)

"Pil" (elephant) and "Pilla" (female elephant)

"Na'ar" (young man) and "Na'ara" (young lady)

"Ole" (rising up) and "Ola" (*she* is rising up)

And so on and so forth....

NOT the situation when it comes to numbers:p!

When it comes to numbers, all added "Hei", "a" to the end of the word, means that the object spoken of is mail.

"Arba" (four) girls, "Arba'a" (four) boys {Classic example in which over 90% of the Israelis keep saying wrong! grr}

When it comes to numbers:

To male (from 1 to 7): To Female (from 1 o 7):

Echad Achat

Shnayim Shtayim

Shlosha Shalosh

Arba'a Arba

Hamisha Hamesh

Shisha Shesh

Shiv'aa Sheva

We have Alef, He and Kaf in Arabic language/grammar.

The He is more of a Heen though.

I know the "Cheit" in Arabic and the "J" "G" are similar, but the punctuation is different, right?

Cheit? You mean cheieen? And Arabic doesn't really have a G and J....it's more like a aaaa and gggaaa. You are correct though. Just different punctuation and then here are different ways of using it so you also might need add more punctuation depending in what you say.

Here they are though:

ع غ

Hebrew usuful Phrases:

Shalom- Hallo, peace- שלום

Lehitraot- See you- להתראות

Boker Tov- Good morning- בוקר טוב

Erev Tov- Good evening-ערב טוב

Toda- Thank you- תודה

Ma Nishma?- How are you? - מה נשמע

Eich Ata Margish- Are you feeling well? -?איך אתה מרגיש

Tov- Good- טוב

Ani Yachol La'azor Lecha? -Can I help you? -?אני יכול לעזור לך