Just A Thought

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    President-elect Obama won last Tuesday, I wrote then that I hoped he'd do better than my apprehensions. I meant that, I still do. He won with over 50% of the vote, by about 6 points. No way was whatever fraud that occurred, going to exceed those 6 points. No question, he was the winner, fair and square.

Well, that was the same as GW back in 2004, while not 6 points, it was over 3, again an amount that fraud couldn't explain, thus definitive.

For the past 3 days all I've seen are Obama partisans, either gloating, threatening, or browbeating those they assume are conservatives. They complain that many are not as ready to let the new administration exist without criticism.

I was on this board a lot in 2004. The conservatives at the time, (for the most part, there are always the blowhards/bullies/nasties), which were overwhelmingly the majority, offered empathy with the liberal posters, asked them to give it a chance, acknowledged that they'd picked up many congressional seats, and said we needed to 'pull together' as a country. In the main the more liberal responded that they'd just begun to fight. They were getting rid of the chimp and going to get him impeached.

Then came 2006, it got worse. They felt that will the majority in the House, they should impeach Bush. The anger became overwhelming, seriously it was tangible.

Now here we are. You are in control, near total. While there really are few specifics you can lay at the feet of your leadership, the real agenda seems to be 'payback.' Whether it's 'the rich are going to pay!' or 'Because we CAN' or 'Fairness Doctrine', it's all about the Republicans. Not a winning strategy, in the sense of building a consensus. Not one person here has said, "Look, here's some points that we could work together on, or rather we could all encourage our representatives to do so." No, it's 'because we now have the power, see how you like it.'

Interestingly I considered writing this post while at school, I came home to find the 'Republicans are Bullies' thread. Seriously entertaining, sad, but entertaining. Inclusiveness seems lost upon too many on the left. There are those on the right that are like that, but fewer and mostly ignored by the mainstream conservatives.

I'm continuing my own mindset, like it or not, Obama is in and has near complete control over Congress. With Emanuel's help, he'll do what he can with the Democrats. I hope whether they choose from the center or the left, it works out for the country. I'll encourage representatives though to point out every misstep, misspeak, wrong policy, loudly and publicly. It should be daily, the President and his minions have so much too do, the mistakes are continuous, they need to be hammered. The image of inexperience and mean spiritedness of the Democrats must be constructed, fired, and hammered home. Not one success should be a given, all should be challenged and a better alternative put out there, once that is easy to understand and the people can connect with.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    You are absolutely right, Kathianne. This is not a time for gloating or 'cramming the liberal agenda' down anybodies throat. This nation faces some serious shit and partisan politics from either side must not be tolerated.

It is up to us. The people who share news stories on boards like this and encourage our fellow posters to write those emails to congress. We need to be especially watchful of the democratic leadership in congress and help our new president call 'bullshit' on any legislation or shenanigans that even has the perception of partisan politics as its motive.

The worst thing about Bush was his disinterest in opposing viewpoints. This trait branded him as a selfish wielder of power and not a leader. In the unlikely event that Obama follows in the footsteps of rewarding friends like Bush rewarded 'loyal Bushies' we need to call 'bullshit' on him.

Anyway you look at it, it is up to us to keep them honest.

-Joe

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Agreed, but I would also say that it is in the eye of the beholder. Example, why are there already "impeach obama" sites (an excellent idea to show how silly the whole impeachment thing is anymore) ... and you certainly must recall how it was considered 'unpatriotic' to oppose the war in 2001/2002/2003? THAT was when the right said "you must support this guy he is your president or else you hate america"

After 2004, which I disagree was legitimate, the right called any evidence I would show of electronic rigging "sour grapes." That was hardly compassionate.

Still, I wish the left had class at this point. I like hearing Willow's opinions and Paperboy's posts and stuff - and I cringe when I see the left telling them to STFU. Dissent is patriotic. The opposition party has a real role and thank god for it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    :clap2:
    :eusa_clap:

-Joe

5. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I'm surprised you saw gloating as Gunny specifically forbids it.

I think the difference between Obama's 6 point win v. Bush 3 point win is that Obama's was accompanied by over 350 Electoral votes and didn't hinge on ONE state in particular whereas Bush's victory hinged on OH where there was a Republican Sec of State and massive reports of voter irregularities, much like in 2000 when his victory also hinged on a Repub Sec of State and voter irregularities.

You'll never convince most Democrats that Bush won those two elections fairly and I'm not sure why you'd even try to since the past can't be undone and our opinions didn't matter then anymore than they matter now.

Just like anyone who believes Obama somehow stole 7 states away from the Republican party are entitled to their opinion and their opinions won't change the results.

as for pointing out Obama's mistakes please don't be so disingenuous as to try to convince anyone that you wouldn't do it anyway, even if the Libs on this board were throwing rose petals at your feet and begging you to join them in singing "give peace a chance"

The reality is we, as liberals have had to sit back and watch as Bush ruled with an iron fist. he steamrolled over the Democrats after 9/11 and the media helped him wholeheartedly. Anyone who dared speak out against the bush administration was cut down like a sappling tree. It was disgusting.

How anyone can deny the damage done to our country by the Bush administration is beyond me. Look at how the world views us.

So, yes, please do point out mistakes and missteps. It's what we expected anyway. No big deal.

6. USJD

USJD Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well said again....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Look at all the attacks on Obama already by the right. He hasn't even gotten into office and their complaining.

8. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Oh and that SOS was head of the Ohio Bush Reelection committee.

9. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    so was Katherine Harris in 2000 :eusa_whistle:

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Again, I would direct you to the 'past is past' and we are supposed to be one country. Whatever your feelings or mine, like it or not we are both citizens, with a vested interest in this country.

To disagree is normal, especially if you believe, no matter how absurd, you've been shafted. On the other hand, attributing malice on the opposition, regardless of party affiliation, is an exercise in futility. It also leads to a hardening of positions, rather than finding a way to work through differences. That was my point. I'm not saying it would have happened, if the 'left' would have wanted to work together, it may have flown apart anyways, but the right tried. Now I'm seeing no 'hands out', rather an attitude of 'you deserve everything we can throw at you.' Want to talk about payback, if fortunes turn? The filibusters of the last 2 years are a result of what came before. If the same can be done with judicial appointments, do you think they wouldn't?

The sense of civility has been lost throughout our country, including the Senate which used to be a saving grace. If we don't change what's going on, we'll all be in more trouble than just the current economic mess.