June 12

Discussion in 'History' started by PoliticalChic, Jun 12, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,028
    On this day, in 1987

In front of the Brandenburg Gate in West Berlin, President Ronald Reagan declared, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.” It took two years before the wall came down.

With vision and strength of will, this President defeated the 'Evil Empire' without firing a shot.

Put Ron on the Rock.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    :rolleyes:

3. Truthseeker420

Truthseeker420 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    :cuckoo:

4. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    he's dead and they closed alcatraz a long time ago.

5. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    And in other news June 12, 1967.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM5A8kiNA6o]"Loving" and the Fight for Marriage Equality - YouTube[/ame]

6. MaryL

MaryL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,968
    I think Ronald Regan was responsible for terror attacks on 9-11. He helped the Taliban and the fledgling Al queda (bin Laden) with all sorts of support to fight the Russian occupation of Afghanistan, their loss was heralded as Russia's "Vietnam". I believe we would have been better served IF the Russians had WON.... Ronald Regan worked to destroy unions. Ronald Regan's administration fought for Amnesty for our much maligned illegal aliens back in 88'...Food for thought. BYTW, we are doing pretty much what the Russians were doing in Afghanistan... an occupying force buttressing our concerns...Regan wasn't much of anything.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  7. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,028
    Mary....I found your post charming...no, wrong word....appealing.
    It was a well-put summary of the Left's view of President Reagan.

Of course, in the grand sweep of history, it is factually incorrect. While I have no illusion that a post or two will alter a view based on a lifetime of Liberal propaganda, let me offer a couple of points.

1. "Ronald Regan was responsible for terror attacks on 9-11."
    I can see where you are coming from, as Reagan supported the Russian's enemies, but the basis for that is the following:
    It was the great British Foreign Secretary, Lord Palmerston, who pointed out that great powers had "no eternal friends, only eternal interests".

a. If you need a focus for Islamofascism, it was Democrat Jimmy Carter who installed the ayatollah and his regime in Iran. This was the impetus for the movement.

2. "I believe we would have been better served IF the Russians had WON."

I wonder if this is in your calculation:
    "One Soviet surrogate, North Vietnam, had beaten the United States in Southeast Asia. Another, Cuba, had anchored Soviet-bloc power in the darkest heart of Africa, in Angola. America had just lost Iran to the Islamists led by Ayatollah Khomeini, and with it, one of Washington's key allies in the Middle East. Finally, as Carter's America was being humiliated by Iranian hostage-takers and held up to ridicule by botched rescue gambits, the Soviets were forging into Afghanistan--as Alexander the Great had done on his imperial march to India. What would have happened had Western Europe finally buckled, had it refused to station INF (Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces) ? Moscow's boldest dream would have come true: to separate Western Europe from its transatlantic protector, to create zones of inferior security and, thus, to end up dominating the entire continent."
    The "amazing and mysterious" life of Ronald Reagan - page 3 | National Interest, The

3. "Ronald Regan worked to destroy unions."
    Ronald Reagan, after all, had fired 11,000 traffic controllers, even though their union was one of the few that had supported him in 1980. He fired them because he said he would if they walked off their jobs.
    That's one union.

Results of a recent Rasmussen poll found that 9% of nonunion workers were interested in joining a union. For public school grads, that means that 91% have no such interest. In fact, maybe that means that 9% are public school grads who didn’t learn to read on their own. (Just 9% of Non-Union Workers Want to Join Union - Rasmussen Reports™)
    Rasmussen found that even workers in companies who were in danger of losing their jobs, it was still only 9%. What do the 91% know about union membership that the 9% don’t? One can only conjecture.

Seems that is unions that worked to destroy unions.

4. I'm certain that you don't want to include the amazing turn-around in the economy that Reagan orchestrated.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    USA!
    USA!
    USA!

[​IMG]

USA!
    USA!
    USA!

9. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    ... I married my ex in 1981. A day that will live in infamy.

10. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,028
    OMG!!

No body warned you???
    You had the same look-out as Pearl Harbor!