Julianne Moore and Ellen Page's Lesbian Drama Barred From Shooting at Catholic School

Nobody should be forced to have their property used as a filming location against their wishes.

They should be able to find another place.

A Catholic school is not exactly open to the public or involved in commerce .

The women aren't really gay. They are pretending to be gay. There is no right of a film studio to use private property for its own purposes.

The women aren't really gay. They are pretending to be gay. There is no right of a film studio to use private property for its own purposes.

Ellen Page is in fact gay but Julianna Moore is not. Both of them are very good actresses though.

Obviously this thread was going to devolve into a convoluted discussion about Public Accommodation Laws. These laws are not that hard to understand and yet so many people get it wrong.

So they just knocked at the front door without asking first? Did they show up at the front step saying: hi, we came to film here? If they did then the school has right to decline entering and it's no ones business. But if the crew got school's permission first and when board discovered it was about lesbians and changed their mind - then they're full of horse c**p. If the movie crew asked and got a 'no' response then again: it's fair and square and shouldn't be made news.

Ellen Page is in fact gay but Julianna Moore is not. Both of them are very good actresses though.

I have not actually heard of Ellen Page before. Were the two women actually going to be married, or was that just a fake story?

Totally within their rights. Next.

How is this within their rights, and the baker/minister can be forced to do things against their will?
Is the Catholic school IN THE BUSINESS (with a business license and everything) of renting out their property to film crews?

They may be. In that case are they now wrong for denying a permit?
No..because it isn't their business...they don't have a business license to rent out their property for movie sets. You can clearly see that, I'm sure.

I have not actually heard of Ellen Page before. Were the two women actually going to be married, or was that just a fake story?

That is a shame, she is a pretty strong actress. They weren't actually going to be married. It's a movie based off of a true story that I've never heard of before.

Julianna Moore is still gorgeous. I've always had a thing for red heads.

How is this within their rights, and the baker/minister can be forced to do things against their will?
Is the Catholic school IN THE BUSINESS (with a business license and everything) of renting out their property to film crews?

They may be. In that case are they now wrong for denying a permit?
No..because it isn't their business...they don't have a business license to rent out their property for movie sets. You can clearly see that, I'm sure.

Actually they have let people shoot movies and TV shows there in the past. Here they object to the content of the film. Maybe the locality does not require permits for shoots entirely on private property.

Because the private school is not a public accommodation. They are not generally open to commercial filming and can give or withhold permission for whatever reason.

bakers under contract and ministries are not public accommodations either.

Because the private school is not a public accommodation. They are not generally open to commercial filming and can give or withhold permission for whatever reason.

Not true. Bakers own and operate a public business and must follow their respective state laws that deal with public accommodation. Being a minster and owning a public doesn't absolve you from following public accommodation laws. I am sure you are referring to the Hitching Post case which isn't a church and is a for profit business. They are nothing more then a hall rental location which happens to owned by a minster. Being a minster isn't an excuse for breaking the law.

Not true. Bakers own and operate a public business and must follow their respective state laws that deal with public accommodation. Being a minster and owning a public doesn't absolve you from following public accommodation laws. I am sure you are referring to the Hitching Post case which isn't a church and is a for profit business. They are nothing more then a hall rental location which happens to owned by a minster. Being a minster isn't an excuse for breaking the law.

There shouldn't be a law like that in the first place. Not everything is a public accommodation, but you guys sure as hell want everything to be. Lets you be nice little government jackbooted stooges.

Forum List

Back