Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz (R) Seek to Cancel MLB By Introducing Legislation

The police use bullets that are banned in war.
Yeah but they don't use military grade weapons...such as military grade CS gas, that Clinton thought was to dangerous for combat, but ok to use on American citizens...including children
First there is no such thing as military grade CS. That's a misnomer applied because of how the military applied higher standards when it came to weapons of war than the general public did to similar products. But that no longer holds. The civilian version of the jeep, was vastly superior to the military version. And a military shotgun would be laughed out compared to the quality of civilian shotguns.

And for banning chemicals in war, that has been going on under the geneva convention for years. Due to the rules of law being stricter than those of law enforcement.

Tear gas is actually banned for use in wartime, because the Geneva Convention notably prohibits the use of chemical or biological weapons during war.

The Chemical Weapons Convention bans the use of riot control agents – including tear gas – in warfare, but U.S. law enforcement can still use them against civilians.

I never said he used banned weapons...
LOL

Now you're lying to cover for other lies you spew...

Sure there was military grade...and it was banned in combat in 1993...that however didn't keep the Clinton Admin from using it on civilians, when he order the military to raid the Waco compound

[emphasis mine to highlight your lies]
That's when Clinton wanted it banned in combat...in 1993...but still felt the need to gas his own people, including children, with it.

and you continue to defend this Saddam like behavior...come to think of it, maybe that's why you all were so good with Obama turning a blind eye to Assad gassing his own people too
LOL

You literally said CS being banned didn't prevent Clinton from using it on civilians when in fact, it was banned 4 years after the Waco raid. And now you're trying to deny saying what you said.

You really are fucked in the head. :cuckoo:
Yep...the ban that he signed off on, the ban that he went over article by article, knowing full well how dangerous and deadly it was, and why the world was so against it...that didn't stop him from using it on his own people.

Saddam, Clinton? Was there really a difference? This court explain why he turned a blind eye to Bin Laden, and punted on Saddam...

The police use bullets that are banned in war.
Yeah but they don't use military grade weapons...such as military grade CS gas, that Clinton thought was to dangerous for combat, but ok to use on American citizens...including children
First there is no such thing as military grade CS. That's a misnomer applied because of how the military applied higher standards when it came to weapons of war than the general public did to similar products. But that no longer holds. The civilian version of the jeep, was vastly superior to the military version. And a military shotgun would be laughed out compared to the quality of civilian shotguns.

And for banning chemicals in war, that has been going on under the geneva convention for years. Due to the rules of law being stricter than those of law enforcement.

Tear gas is actually banned for use in wartime, because the Geneva Convention notably prohibits the use of chemical or biological weapons during war.

The Chemical Weapons Convention bans the use of riot control agents – including tear gas – in warfare, but U.S. law enforcement can still use them against civilians.
I agree it no longer hold since the ban.

Smells unconstitutional.

In what way?

Corporations are classified as individuals, thus, citizens. Citizens have a right to Freedom of Speech. This legislation could be seen as a form of retaliation for said speech by government lawmakers which seems like a clear violation of 42 U.S. Code 1983 which is a civil action for depravation of rights.

And that's not even getting into the antitrust/monopoly aspect of it.

LOL

Sure there was military grade...and it was banned in combat in 1993...that however didn't keep the Clinton Admin from using it on civilians, when he order the military to raid the Waco compound

That's when Clinton wanted it banned in combat...in 1993...but still felt the need to gas his own people, including children, with it.

and you continue to defend this Saddam like behavior...come to think of it, maybe that's why you all were so good with Obama turning a blind eye to Assad gassing his own people too
LOL

You literally said CS being banned didn't prevent Clinton from using it on civilians when in fact, it was banned 4 years after the Waco raid. And now you're trying to deny saying what you said.

Yep...the ban that he signed off on, the ban that he went over article by article, knowing full well how dangerous and deadly it was, and why the world was so against it...that didn't stop him from using it on his own people.

Saddam, Clinton? Was there really a difference? This court explain why he turned a blind eye to Bin Laden, and punted on Saddam...
He signed off on it in 1997 after it was passed in Congress. You do realize April, 1997 was 4 years later than April, 1993, don'tcha? :ack-1:

Corporations are classified as individuals, thus, citizens.

That needs to be dealt with, btw.

Think we have to go all the way back to Santa Clara County versus Pacific Railroad to undo that legal fallacy, though.

The whole fallacy is premised completely upon a simple clerical error as I recall.

Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or Other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare. The 1925 Geneva Protocol prohibits the use of chemical and biological weapons in war.

Corporations are classified as individuals, thus, citizens.

That needs to be dealt with, btw.

Think we have to go all the way back to Santa Clara County versus Pacific Railroad to undo that legal fallacy, though.

The whole fallacy is premised completely upon a simple clerical error as I recall.

Agreed. But the law is what it is presently...

Don't edit my posts. -marvin martian

Oh, okay.

Look, whatever your political beliefs - Baseball is as American as Apple Pie or Supersize meals. Nobody touches my MLB.

MLB is all about whoring for China, just like the Biden family.

...huh?

Did you not know that MLB whores for money from the oppressive, anti-civil rights, tyrannical communist government of China, just like the Biden family has done for decades?
Your bullshit is so exhausting, dude.

I thought maybe put in Sports section, but it's probably more political than Sports since it involves Senators.

A group of Senators, including Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley introduced a bill to end Major League Baseball’s monopoly by eliminating their special antitrust exemption.

The group says the bill is an immediate reaction to MLB’s decision to relocate the All Star game from Georgia to Colorado.

Forbes says The antitrust exemption, which dates back to a 1922 Supreme Court case and has been held up in multiple subsequent cases, is the only one of its kind for a sports league. Its elimination would expose MLB to antitrust litigation and weaken the MLB’s power to reduce competition.

Good idea. All for-profit entities should be subject to anti-trust laws. The Big Tech companies are next.
What a pity you rightards only support that now out of spite because MLB is moving the all-star game out of Georgia and because Republicans are now pushing the idea...

... and not because of principles. Which you clearly lack.
YOU people are the spiters and HYPOCRITES----Jan 6th is a perfect example ---out of MANY

LOL

LOL

He signed off on it in 1997 after it was passed in Congress. You do realize April, 1997 was 4 years later than April, 1993, don'tcha? :ack-1:
He submitted it in 1993 to Congress, after negiating it and reading off article by article..the Senate didn't ratifify what Clinton submitted until 1997

Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or Other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare. The 1925 Geneva Protocol prohibits the use of chemical and biological weapons in war.
Cool, I am talking about the agreement Clinton sent to the Senate in 1993, and then ratifited by Congress in 1997

Remember when Republicans stood for property rights?

They certainly don't give a shit about property rights now.

It's all about culture grievance and culture wars.
I am not sure how making sure MLB is treated like every other business and industry in the USA is an attack on property rights.

This legislation doesn't attack anyone from owning a MLB team...in fact it might open the door so that other people can own other professional baseball teams, outside of the MLB

Cool, I am talking about the agreement Clinton sent to the Senate in 1993, and then ratifited by Congress in 1997
And the Geneva convention made CS illegal in war, long before it was again codified in 1993.

And the Geneva convention made CS illegal in war, long before it was again codified in 1993.
oh ok...so it was banned in combat, already...wow...just wow... and Clinton still used it on his own people.

Thanks for clearing that up

Legislation against monopoly is generally far more harmful than helpful.

It's government that gives the power to these big companies in the first place.

You have government regularly interfering with a business whose success is a result of satisfying their market demand by coming in and saying, no, you're too big. But then how many failing companies does government come in and subsidize?

Try to draw up a voluntary contract, btw, and see how quickly the government steps in and tells you what you can and can't do.

Now there's a long-lost, forgotten term. Voluntary contract....

In this case, though, the suggestion isn't to break MLB up at all. It's simply to remove the very government power you're talking about, and let them do without that protection of their monopoly, just like so many other businesses have to do.

I guess what I was getting at is that there is a remarkable difference between a ''free-market monopoly'' and a ''market monopoly.''

Clarification is necessary. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a free-market monopoly. Market monopoly is a consequence of the distortion that is so rabid, thanks to government intrusion.

But, yeah. Noted, Cecilie. I see the point you're making.

I don't think a free-market monopoly is really possible. I think the only way one gets a monopoly in a free market is for the government to put its thumb on the scales on behalf of the business. Barring government intervention, a business might gain a huge market share for a while - which I have no problem with, because the only legal way to do that is by providing consumers with what they want - but it doesn't last forever. The company inevitably misjudges a coming trend and gets edged out by people who saw it coming.

Forum List

Back