Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz (R) Seek to Cancel MLB By Introducing Legislation

AFrench2

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
I thought maybe put in Sports section, but it's probably more political than Sports since it involves Senators.

A group of Senators, including Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley introduced a bill to end Major League Baseball’s monopoly by eliminating their special antitrust exemption.

The group says the bill is an immediate reaction to MLB’s decision to relocate the All Star game from Georgia to Colorado.

Forbes says The antitrust exemption, which dates back to a 1922 Supreme Court case and has been held up in multiple subsequent cases, is the only one of its kind for a sports league. Its elimination would expose MLB to antitrust litigation and weaken the MLB’s power to reduce competition.

I thought maybe put in Sports section, but it's probably more political than Sports since it involves Senators.

A group of Senators, including Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley introduced a bill to end Major League Baseball’s monopoly by eliminating their special antitrust exemption.

The group says the bill is an immediate reaction to MLB’s decision to relocate the All Star game from Georgia to Colorado.

Forbes says The antitrust exemption, which dates back to a 1922 Supreme Court case and has been held up in multiple subsequent cases, is the only one of its kind for a sports league. Its elimination would expose MLB to antitrust litigation and weaken the MLB’s power to reduce competition.

Good idea. All for-profit entities should be subject to anti-trust laws. The Big Tech companies are next.

There used to be a NL and AL league. Then some brainiac decided to merge them together and now the game is such bullshit. I stopped watching when the first baseball strike happened where baseball players said they werent paid enough, while the vendors made 1/100th of their wages. Talk about income gap, fuck organized sports. May they all rot.

It's simply virtue signaling to their base. They don't have the numbers to pass the bill into law and override a presidential veto.

Good idea. All for-profit entities should be subject to anti-trust laws. The Big Tech companies are next.
Big Tech should be busted up like Standard Oil in another Era.

MLB is more like a single business with franchises.

What a pity you rightards only support that now out of spite because MLB is moving the all-star game out of Georgia and because Republicans are now pushing the idea...

... and not because of principles. Which you clearly lack.

Smells unconstitutional.

What a pity you rightards only support that now out of spite because MLB is moving the all-star game out of Georgia and because Republicans are now pushing the idea...

MLB has joined the ranks with the other fascist corporations pushing Democratic talking points, which are lies. They have cancelled themselves.

MLB has joined the ranks with the other fascist corporations pushing Democratic talking points, which are lies. They have cancelled themselves.
Great, show me when you complained about it before Republicans wanted to punish them for moving the all-star game out of Georgia.

When you can't, you'll be tacitly confessing I am right when I pointed out how you rightards are acting out like petulant toddlers and not out of principle...

Great, show me when you complained about it before Republicans wanted to punish them for moving the all-star game out of Georgia.

When you can't, you'll be tacitly confessing I am right when I pointed out how you rightards are acting out like petulant toddlers and not out of principle...
You are not worth answering. Next.

You are not worth answering. Next.
LOL

Apparently, you're too stupid to know you actually did answer that.

:dance:

"Only support that now"?

Where do you get that, MLB's antitrust exemption has always been controversial.

"Only support that now"?

Where do you get that, MLB's antitrust exemption has always been controversial.
I'm sure for a few, it has been. Sadly, not for the posters here who lash out on spite, not principles.

. . . And did you have an opinion on this? OP's are supposed to include a statement about the link, not just the link. We're all capable of going and reading the news for ourselves.

It's simply virtue signaling to their base. They don't have the numbers to pass the bill into law and override a presidential veto.

No, it's more than virtue signaling. It's also forcing the Democrats on the record as supporting monopolistic businesses when it suits their political agenda. Are you suggesting that the minority party in Congress should just do nothing whatsoever because they don't have the votes? They should just sit quietly in the corner?

Big Tech should be busted up like Standard Oil in another Era.

I'd say there's far more valid reason to go after huge monolithic business under antitrust laws now than there was back in Standard Oil's day, to be honest. Back then, the concern was protecting consumers from price-gouging. Now, the concern is protecting their fundamental rights from being nullified.

No, it's more than virtue signaling. It's also forcing the Democrats on the record as supporting monopolistic businesses when it suits their political agenda. Are you suggesting that the minority party in Congress should just do nothing whatsoever because they don't have the votes? They should just sit quietly in the corner?
You make a good point on getting people on record; however, I highly doubt that the position senators and reps have on this bill will ever become an issue when it is election time.

There are people who for years who have gotten tired of the massive salaries with many strikes for decades and cable TV increases and insane prices to go see games with your family. Capitulation point in sports happened for some. Then the sports turned political. Capitulation for a little more. The virus affected people. And the stands were almost empty. For me at this point I have stopped about 90% of my sports viewing and unless its paid for by someone else I will most likely not pay for a another game in any major league sport. And Progs are ruled by their god. the party is their god. They have Abrams and two brand new senators in Georgia and they take away an all star game from an area dominated by blacks. You cheated. And have been. By hook or by crook you will give us a Castro, Stalin, Mao type government whether we want it or not. And then the Mensheviks will become Bolsheviks and the deaths will pile up.

Forum List

Back