Jon Stewart Accuses J.K. Rowling of Antisemitism in 'Harry Potter'

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
RJMUGJXLWXCUDEFTMKPRL3RZOE.jpg

Jon Stewart pointed out what he described as an antisemitic trope in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, and questioned why there is not more outrage over the goblins in the franchise.

In response to coverage of his remarks going viral (in Newsweek, as well as Variety and Times of Israel), Stewart tweeted a video in which he states he is not accusing Rowling of being an antisemite.

Thousands Sign Petition in Solidarity With J.K. Rowling
He said his remarks were a lighthearted take on his experience as a Jewish man watching Harry Potter for the first time and how certain antisemitic tropes are seemingly deeply embedded in society.

I must admit, when I saw the bank goblins, my first thought was "it's a poke at the Jews."

Do you think there's anything to what Jon Stewart has said?

Judge not lest..
some people — people who have worked with him — do not care for or get along with Stewart. In 2012, comedy writer David Feldman said in an interview that Stewart's "a crowd pleaser and gives the illusion of taking chances. But he’s an impressionist and he’s trying to, uh…Well, I don’t want to talk about Jon Stewart because it’s like going after Christ." He claimed Stewart "fought his writers when they wanted to go union…. Everybody who has ever written for Jon Stewart will tell you that he hates his writers, and he’s abusive, and is anti-union. But nobody has the courage to take on Satan in Christ’s clothes."

Last edited:
I don't really care. The Jews are doing fine. I'm not going to feel bad if somebody makes a funny at their expense.

Jon Stewart pointed out what he described as an antisemitic trope in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, and questioned why there is not more outrage over the goblins in the franchise.

In response to coverage of his remarks going viral (in Newsweek, as well as Variety and Times of Israel), Stewart tweeted a video in which he states he is not accusing Rowling of being an antisemite.

He said his remarks were a lighthearted take on his experience as a Jewish man watching Harry Potter for the first time and how certain antisemitic tropes are seemingly deeply embedded in society.

I must admit, when I saw the bank goblins, my first thought was "it's a poke at the Jews."

I was more offended by Xiden calling Jewish people shylocks

No. I didn't think 'Jewish' at all, movies or books. What made you think of them?

Forum List

Back