Joint Chiefs chairman reiterates security threat of high debt

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Pentagon leaders, the military services and defense contractors must work together to cut bureaucratic bloat and unnecessary programs, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said Thursday.
Adm. Mike Mullen also renewed his warning that the nation’s debt is the biggest threat to U.S. national security.
“I was shown the figures the other day by the comptroller of the Pentagon that said that the interest on our debt is $571 billion in 2012,” Mullen said at a breakfast hosted by The Hill. “That is, noticeably, about the size of the defense budget. It is not sustainable.”
Defense Secretary Robert Gates has initiated an effort to free up $100 billion over the next five years to maintain current fighting forces and to modernize weapons systems.

Joint Chiefs chairman reiterates security threat of high debt - TheHill.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJ1qzG0Ewk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Mullen: Debt, a security threat[/ame]

Maybe this will get some attention from both sides of the aisle.

Pentagon leaders, the military services and defense contractors must work together to cut bureaucratic bloat and unnecessary programs, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said Thursday.
Adm. Mike Mullen also renewed his warning that the nation’s debt is the biggest threat to U.S. national security.
“I was shown the figures the other day by the comptroller of the Pentagon that said that the interest on our debt is $571 billion in 2012,” Mullen said at a breakfast hosted by The Hill. “That is, noticeably, about the size of the defense budget. It is not sustainable.”
Defense Secretary Robert Gates has initiated an effort to free up $100 billion over the next five years to maintain current fighting forces and to modernize weapons systems.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJ1qzG0Ewk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Mullen: Debt, a security threat[/ame]

That's odd. Earlier today, a wingnut swore that the military brass have no input on making policy. Yet, here they are talking about policy

I was unaware that talking about policy was making it.

I talk about policy all the time. I guess I have alot more power than I realized. Shame none of the policy I "make" ever seems to be implimented.

I talk about policy all the time. I guess I have alot more power than I realized. Shame none of the policy I "make" ever seems to be implimented.

Lobbying is a part of making policy.

So you're saying that the Joint Chiefs needs to lobby the President to get anything accomplished?

So you're saying that the Joint Chiefs needs to lobby the President to get anything accomplished?

NO, I'm saying "Lobbying is a part of making policy"

Can't you read?

Are the Joint Chiefs willing to acknowledge the militaries contribution to that debt?

Admiral Mullen is a pencil-pushing puppet for Obama.

Besides...if you ask the White House......returning Iraqi and Afghan vets are the greatest threat to national security.

Are the Joint Chiefs willing to acknowledge the militaries contribution to that debt?

Last time I looked the Treasury is beyond the reach of the military according to the constitution.

You'd love to blame them but Congress could simply refuse to fund them if they chose to...but they don't.

The Military puts in a budget every year. If the current deficit is as big a threat to national security as they say...is the military willing to bite the bullett and accept major cuts?

We have two major wars going on. Is the military willing to pull the plug, declare "mission accomplished" and go home?

We have the strongest military machine in history. Are they willing to cut it down to reduce the deficit?

All we need to do to alleviate this security threat is to sell off yet more of the USA to foreign interests to lower our debt.

Last time I looked the Treasury is beyond the reach of the military according to the constitution.

You'd love to blame them but Congress could simply refuse to fund them if they chose to...but they don't.

The Military puts in a budget every year. If the current deficit is as big a threat to national security as they say...is the military willing to bite the bullett and accept major cuts?

We have two major wars going on. Is the military willing to pull the plug, declare "mission accomplished" and go home?

We have the strongest military machine in history. Are they willing to cut it down to reduce the deficit?

The military isn't in charge...the President is.

The military can't spend a friggen dime without the okay from Congress and the Secretary of Defense at the behest of the President.

The military can't spend a friggen dime without the okay from Congress and the Secretary of Defense at the behest of the President.

The military puts in a budget every year.

The less they spend, the less Congress authorizes. Lower military budget= less deficit

Take away two wars.....does the Army still need ten Divisions?
Does the Navy still need 11 carrier groups when no other nation has one?
Does the Air Force need modernization when no other nation threatens air superiority?
Do we need to maintain a nuclear force that can destroy our biggest threat 100 times over?

Last edited:

The less they spend, the less Congress authorizes. Lower military budget= less deficit

Does the Air Force need modernization when no other nation threatens air superiority?
Do we need to maintain a nuclear force that can destroy our biggest threat 100 times over?

The military could submit a budget of $6 trillion.

It is up to the Congress and the President to approve it or not.

If Congress and Obama only approve $10 million, it is up to the Joint Chiefs to find a way to live within that approval limit. They will have no other choice than to "cut it down".

If they don't have the funding they want given to them, they will have to pull out without even a "mission accomplished".

The budget is a civilian function, it's as simple as that.

The military could submit a budget of $6 trillion.

It is up to the Congress and the President to approve it or not.

If Congress and Obama only approve $10 million, it is up to the Joint Chiefs to find a way to live within that approval limit. They will have no other choice than to "cut it down".

If they don't have the funding they want given to them, they will have to pull out without even a "mission accomplished".

The budget is a civilian function, it's as simple as that.

Unfortunately the military budget is never simple.

They don't submit a dollar number they submit a budget comprised of individual expenditures. Individual expenditures are funded on a case by case basis

You are absolutely correct that the military needs to cut the budget, so why don't you write to your Congressman and Senators and tell them not to add stuff to the budget that the military does not want or need?

Joint Strike Fighter: A $3 Billion Boondoggle? - ABC News

Forum List

Back