John Stossel Will Prove You Liberals Wrong Again

Discussion in 'Media' started by PoliticalChic, Mar 12, 2009.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,936
    So Barbara Ehrenreich writes a tell-all book whining and complaining about how hard it is to break out of poverty, and even goes so far as to blame Wal-Mart for the poverty among un-skilled workers. Her book, Nickel and Dimed exemplies the typical handwringing by our Liberal friends.

Oh really...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-Not-Getting-America/dp/0805088385/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236889544&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America: Barbara Ehrenreich: Books[/ame]

I dare you to watch John Stossel's Bailouts and Bull special on ABC at 10 pm EST and observe how a college student proves Ehrenreich wrong when he demonstrates how he makes a good living working at a Wal-Mart. John Stossel in his usual relaxed, but inquiring manner confronts the author of Nickel and Dimed.

ABC News

2. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    She was whiney in that book. It was hard to take her seriously when she could walk away anytime she wanted to and only lived each "reality" she set up for about a month. I think she had a great opportunity to find out what being poor was really like, but instead used the whole thing for a political agenda. I don't think most poor people want or need a handout, they need better opportunities and ways to pull themselves up.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Reminds me of this:

American Experience | Eyes on the Prize | The Story of the Movement | PBS

4. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    True story:

John Stossel asked me a legal question at a Federalist Society gathering once.

In real life, he's pretty short.

5. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,936
    And so is Tom Cruise, and your point is?

6. driveby

driveby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    I watched it with a liberal in the room, he said Stossel was just a partisan hack, typical........

7. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    God, I'm for once glad I'm old enough not to have been forced to read her book. Stossel made her look like the complete and whining dumbass that she is.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005

Hah! I too met Stossel about five years ago or so when he was doing a book tour. I was part of a group helping set up the event and we had a chance to chat with him for about 20 minutes prior to the signing. Yes, he was a bit shorter than I thought he would be - and thin to the point of being frail. He was also a bit shy, but clearly a thoughtful and intelligent man, and once he became more comfortable he talks in quick little verbal jabs, and gets rather animated when making a specific point - glad to see him have a forum like 20/20 to share some common sense in the pool of liberal bias that is the mainstream media.

Folks should know - Stossel was once a darling of the liberal left when his career focused on exposing big business and government corruption. Now that he has also spent considerable time and effort exposing the ethical corruption of the liberal media, he is much maligned by most from the left. He is far more a Libertarian than Republican though - he is for legalized drugs, prostitution, open borders, etc. Very interesting gentleman.

9. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Adam Shepard proved she was a whiny idiot also.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0061714364/bookstorenow30-20]Amazon.com: Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream: Adam W. Shepard: Books[/ame]

10. Neser Boha

Neser Boha upgrade your gray matter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +434
    The truth is never black and white... it's always many shades of grey... (I know, what a cliche .. and it rhymes, yaay!) While it's stupid to go on whining about how a poor person just can't make it, it is also unrealistic to state that everyone with $25 in their pocket in LA has a great chance in succeeding just like the young kid did... If one's a single mother without a family or a disabled person on a wheel-chair, I'm sure as hell that your chances and opportunities get drastically lowered... There are just too many things to be factored in... everyone's situation is simply different. There's quite a bit of an over-simplification on both sides...

Btw, making the whole liberal attribution here is quite close-minded... Ehrenreich wrote a book, you disagree with her - but why do you have to make this a liberal vs. conservative issue? It's really kind of annoying... and what more... totally pointless.