John Stossel Will Prove You Liberals Wrong Again

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
So Barbara Ehrenreich writes a tell-all book whining and complaining about how hard it is to break out of poverty, and even goes so far as to blame Wal-Mart for the poverty among un-skilled workers. Her book, Nickel and Dimed exemplies the typical handwringing by our Liberal friends.

In a superb book called Nickel and Dimed, soon to be published in Britain, the journalist Barbara Ehrenreich sets off to find work as a cleaner or waitress in various American cities, and to live off her wages. Of the many disturbing aspects of the book, perhaps the most eerie is her experience of disappearing. In her new role, she can no longer find a reflection of herself on TV or radio or in magazines, and even in real life, people literally cannot see her' Decca Aitkenhead, Guardian 'In this brilliant, gripping and extraordinarily timely book, Barbara Ehrenreich expertly peels away the layers of self-denial, self-interest and self-protection that insulate the rich from poor; the served from the servers, the housed from the homeless. This is a book about collective blindness that will change the way you see' Naomi Klein, author of No Logo 'She is now our premier reporter of the underside of capitalism' New York Times
Oh really...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-Not-Getting-America/dp/0805088385/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236889544&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America: Barbara Ehrenreich: Books[/ame]

I dare you to watch John Stossel's Bailouts and Bull special on ABC at 10 pm EST and observe how a college student proves Ehrenreich wrong when he demonstrates how he makes a good living working at a Wal-Mart. John Stossel in his usual relaxed, but inquiring manner confronts the author of Nickel and Dimed.

ABC News

She was whiney in that book. It was hard to take her seriously when she could walk away anytime she wanted to and only lived each "reality" she set up for about a month. I think she had a great opportunity to find out what being poor was really like, but instead used the whole thing for a political agenda. I don't think most poor people want or need a handout, they need better opportunities and ways to pull themselves up.

Reminds me of this:

American Experience | Eyes on the Prize | The Story of the Movement | PBS

INTRO
CONTEXT
PRESS
VIDEO
GALLERY
After Ronald Reagan wins the presidency in 1980, federal policies take a conservative turn. President Reagan promises to reduce the size of the government and restore powers to the states. His cuts in programs for the poor alarm activists working on the front lines against poverty and lack of opportunity.

In Chicago, black voters, feeling underrepresented and dissatisfied, help elect Jane Byrne the city's first woman mayor. Yet Byrne herself becomes a source of disappointment. A notorious public housing high-rise complex, Cabrini Green, where 14,000 people live within six city blocks, is plagued by unemployment, crime, and gangs. The complex is managed by the Chicago Housing Authority (CHA), which provides few services and no forums for law-abiding residents to voice their concerns. As a gesture of support, Byrne moves in to Cabrini Green for three weeks, alienating residents who are seeking something more concrete: black representation at the CHA. When Byrne then appoints three white people to the CHA board, and state legislators show little concern for their issues, the black community is further angered. To gain better political representation, they initiate a voter registration drive which will lead to the election of Harold Washington as mayor.

So Barbara Ehrenreich writes a tell-all book whining and complaining about how hard it is to break out of poverty, and even goes so far as to blame Wal-Mart for the poverty among un-skilled workers. Her book, Nickel and Dimed exemplies the typical handwringing by our Liberal friends.

In a superb book called Nickel and Dimed, soon to be published in Britain, the journalist Barbara Ehrenreich sets off to find work as a cleaner or waitress in various American cities, and to live off her wages. Of the many disturbing aspects of the book, perhaps the most eerie is her experience of disappearing. In her new role, she can no longer find a reflection of herself on TV or radio or in magazines, and even in real life, people literally cannot see her' Decca Aitkenhead, Guardian 'In this brilliant, gripping and extraordinarily timely book, Barbara Ehrenreich expertly peels away the layers of self-denial, self-interest and self-protection that insulate the rich from poor; the served from the servers, the housed from the homeless. This is a book about collective blindness that will change the way you see' Naomi Klein, author of No Logo 'She is now our premier reporter of the underside of capitalism' New York Times
Oh really...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-Not-Getting-America/dp/0805088385/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236889544&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America: Barbara Ehrenreich: Books[/ame]

I dare you to watch John Stossel's Bailouts and Bull special on ABC at 10 pm EST and observe how a college student proves Ehrenreich wrong when he demonstrates how he makes a good living working at a Wal-Mart. John Stossel in his usual relaxed, but inquiring manner confronts the author of Nickel and Dimed.

ABC News

I watched it with a liberal in the room, he said Stossel was just a partisan hack, typical........

True story:

John Stossel asked me a legal question at a Federalist Society gathering once.

In real life, he's pretty short.

Hah! I too met Stossel about five years ago or so when he was doing a book tour. I was part of a group helping set up the event and we had a chance to chat with him for about 20 minutes prior to the signing. Yes, he was a bit shorter than I thought he would be - and thin to the point of being frail. He was also a bit shy, but clearly a thoughtful and intelligent man, and once he became more comfortable he talks in quick little verbal jabs, and gets rather animated when making a specific point - glad to see him have a forum like 20/20 to share some common sense in the pool of liberal bias that is the mainstream media.

Folks should know - Stossel was once a darling of the liberal left when his career focused on exposing big business and government corruption. Now that he has also spent considerable time and effort exposing the ethical corruption of the liberal media, he is much maligned by most from the left. He is far more a Libertarian than Republican though - he is for legalized drugs, prostitution, open borders, etc. Very interesting gentleman.

Oh really...

ABC News

Adam Shepard proved she was a whiny idiot also.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0061714364/bookstorenow30-20]Amazon.com: Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream: Adam W. Shepard: Books[/ame]

The truth is never black and white... it's always many shades of grey... (I know, what a cliche .. and it rhymes, yaay!) While it's stupid to go on whining about how a poor person just can't make it, it is also unrealistic to state that everyone with $25 in their pocket in LA has a great chance in succeeding just like the young kid did... If one's a single mother without a family or a disabled person on a wheel-chair, I'm sure as hell that your chances and opportunities get drastically lowered... There are just too many things to be factored in... everyone's situation is simply different. There's quite a bit of an over-simplification on both sides...

Btw, making the whole liberal attribution here is quite close-minded... Ehrenreich wrote a book, you disagree with her - but why do you have to make this a liberal vs. conservative issue? It's really kind of annoying... and what more... totally pointless.

The truth is never black and white... it's always many shades of grey... (I know, what a cliche .. and it rhymes, yaay!) While it's stupid to go on whining about how a poor person just can't make it, it is also unrealistic to state that everyone with $25 in their pocket in LA has a great chance in succeeding just like the young kid did... If one's a single mother without a family or a disabled person on a wheel-chair, I'm sure as hell that your chances and opportunities get drastically lowered... There are just too many things to be factored in... everyone's situation is simply different. There's quite a bit of an over-simplification on both sides...

Btw, making the whole liberal attribution here is quite close-minded... Ehrenreich wrote a book, you disagree with her - but why do you have to make this a liberal vs. conservative issue? It's really kind of annoying... and what more... totally pointless.

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." -- Voltaire

Follow these rules and the results will be "good."

Graduate from high school
Hold a job for at least a year
And don't have children before you are married

No one said that these guarantee success, but statistically the results will be far better than the opposite.

It is the Liberal view vs. the Conservative view. Adam Shepard clearly states that Erenreich set out to fail and to validate the liberal concept that this is a nation of victims and no one can make it. That's why Liberals love big government. Because you can't take care of yourself.

I would be happy to post the Conservative view and you will be able to see the differences.

Last edited:
True story:

John Stossel asked me a legal question at a Federalist Society gathering once.

In real life, he's pretty short.

Hah! I too met Stossel about five years ago or so when he was doing a book tour. I was part of a group helping set up the event and we had a chance to chat with him for about 20 minutes prior to the signing. Yes, he was a bit shorter than I thought he would be - and thin to the point of being frail. He was also a bit shy, but clearly a thoughtful and intelligent man, and once he became more comfortable he talks in quick little verbal jabs, and gets rather animated when making a specific point - glad to see him have a forum like 20/20 to share some common sense in the pool of liberal bias that is the mainstream media.

Folks should know - Stossel was once a darling of the liberal left when his career focused on exposing big business and government corruption. Now that he has also spent considerable time and effort exposing the ethical corruption of the liberal media, he is much maligned by most from the left. He is far more a Libertarian than Republican though - he is for legalized drugs, prostitution, open borders, etc. Very interesting gentleman.

Agreed, he's a refreshing break from liberal lockstep in the big media.

Walmart sucks.

Cheap crap from China sold by right wing nuts from Arkansas.

New Topics

Forum List

Back