John "Chucky" Gruden is the new coach of the Raiders! Chucky gets $100million deal

The only time he had great success is when he went from the Raiders to coach the Succaneers, who were a defensive powerhouse at the time. Then he went to the Superbowl and faced his old team, which hadn't changed anything. He knew their plays, tendencies, and weaknesses. After that, his success rapidly tapered off. Doubt he will bring any more success to the team than Del Rio did.

And now they'll finally get back to 8-8 every year. Yay Gruden.

Derek Carr is looking more and more like his brother David. Good for a year or two then mediocrity while collecting ten more years of paychecks.

The only time he had great success is when he went from the Raiders to coach the Succaneers, who were a defensive powerhouse at the time. Then he went to the Superbowl and faced his old team, which hadn't changed anything. He knew their plays, tendencies, and weaknesses. After that, his success rapidly tapered off. Doubt he will bring any more success to the team than Del Rio did.

Del Rio was never that good
And now they'll finally get back to 8-8 every year. Yay Gruden.

Derek Carr is looking more and more like his brother David. Good for a year or two then mediocrity while collecting ten more years of paychecks.

Uh the Raiders only went 8-8 his first two years with them and considering his first year with the Raiders was with a washed up Jeff George as his starting quarterback,it was impressive that he turned them around and avoided having their fourth strait losing season that year..

Then the next season when he was with them when he had a good quarterback in Rich Gannon to work with,they should have finished 10 and 6 only going 8 and 8 because there were two games in which a holding penalty happened on a kickoff that brought a touchdown back which turned out to cost them both times. The player on that special teams unit is to blame for those two losses,not Gruden.

Then moron,his third year with them they went 12-4. Had it not been for that lard ass player of the Baltimore Ravens landing on Gannon and hurting his shoulder,the Raiders would have not only gone to be in the superbowl that year,but i have no doubt they would have won. Facing the Giants with Kerry Collins as their quarterback? I KNEW back then the superbowl was in the bag for the Ravens. not much of a challenge to beat a team like that.LOL

and the next year,his last year with them of course, they also went 11-5 dumbass.

True however in his third year as the Raiders head coach,when he had Rich Gannon as his quarterback who was in his second season with the Raiders,had Gannon not been injured early on in the AFC playoff title game against the Ravens unable to finish the game with a broken arm,his throwing arm,their offense would not have stunk up the joint as it did in that game and would have scored a lot more points against them and more than likely would have been the team from the AFC to be in the superbowl that year.I have no doubt whatsoever.

Had that happened,they would easily have beat the Giants in the superbowl same as the Ravens did. There was never a shread of doubt in my mind back then the Ravens were going to easily win that game facing Kerry Collins as the Giants quarterback? How the Giants made it that far with him is beyond me.:lmao:

Yeah Gruden instantly changed the culture of the Raiders.He wasnt just a lackey puppet for Al Davis with big Al being the REAL coach of the Raiders as he had been in previous years. Gruden came in and took full control of running the team from Davis and because he did so,he instantly earned the respect of the players.It was HIS team and not Davis's anymore.

I never could understand the hiring of Del Rio anyways.Last year was just a fluke for the Raiders.They had an easy schedule for the most part.This year with a tougher one he was exposed.

I never could understand the hiring of Del Rio.He was the coach of the jaguars for nine seasons and in those nine years had just a couple winning seasons thats it. He must have been special friends with the owner to have lasted as long as he did with them.

Gruden however did nothing special in winning the superbowl with the Bucs.That did not impress me at all because like you said,he was playing against a team where he knew their plays,tendencys,and weaknesses. PLUS he took over a team that Tony Dungy built.That was in reality Tony Dungys team that won the superbowl.Gruden was just the guy who got to take credit for them winning it all of course.

True however in his third year as the Raiders head coach,when he had Rich Gannon as his quarterback who was in his second season with the Raiders,had Gannon not been injured early on in the AFC playoff title game against the Ravens unable to finish the game with a broken arm,his throwing arm,their offense would not have stunk up the joint as it did in that game and would have scored a lot more points against them and more than likely would have been the team from the AFC to be in the superbowl that year.I have no doubt whatsoever.

Had that happened,they would easily have beat the Giants in the superbowl same as the Ravens did. There was never a shread of doubt in my mind back then the Ravens were going to easily win that game facing Kerry Collins as the Giants quarterback? How the Giants made it that far with him is beyond me.:lmao:

Yeah Gruden instantly changed the culture of the Raiders.He wasnt just a lackey puppet for Al Davis with big Al being the REAL coach of the Raiders as he had been in previous years. Gruden came in and took full control of running the team from Davis and because he did so,he instantly earned the respect of the players.It was HIS team and not Davis's anymore.

I never could understand the hiring of Del Rio anyways.Last year was just a fluke for the Raiders.They had an easy schedule for the most part.This year with a tougher one he was exposed.

I never could understand the hiring of Del Rio.He was the coach of the jaguars for nine seasons and in those nine years had just a couple winning seasons thats it. He must have been special friends with the owner to have lasted as long as he did with them.

Gruden however did nothing special in winning the superbowl with the Bucs.That did not impress me at all because like you said,he was playing against a team where he knew their plays,tendencys,and weaknesses. PLUS he took over a team that Tony Dungy built.That was in reality Tony Dungys team that won the superbowl.Gruden was just the guy who got to take credit for them winning it all of course.
The conspiracy theory going around at the time was that the Giants had rigged the field communication system so they could hear the opponents calls and know what to do. I don't buy into that theory, but the Giants did wipe the Vikings out in the NFC conference championship game 42-0. A high scoring Vikings team with Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Daunte Culpepper, and Robert Smith got shut out. Very improbable. I agree that the Raiders probably would have beaten the Giants too. The Ravens did have a historically great defense though.

The conspiracy theory going around at the time was that the Giants had rigged the field communication system so they could hear the opponents calls and know what to do. I don't buy into that theory, but the Giants did wipe the Vikings out in the NFC conference championship game 42-0. A high scoring Vikings team with Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Daunte Culpepper, and Robert Smith got shut out. Very improbable. I agree that the Raiders probably would have beaten the Giants too. The Ravens did have a historically great defense though.

Yeah I dont buy into it that they did what the CHEATRIOTS 'ALWAYS" do in big games at their home field.LOL

The Raiders/Bucs game reminds me of pete the cheat throwing the superbowl as the biggest most rigged superbowl ever.

I would like to have had Bill Callahan the raiders coach at the time same as carrol have to submit to a lie detector test,i guarantee they would BOTH fail.

Because if you look at the facts it is so obvious Callahan threw the game so the Bucs would win the superbowl.

You probably dodnt know any of this but jerry rice and tim brown and many other raider players of that team came out and said callahan threw that game. Rice and Brown are the only ones that will come out and public and say it though.privately the other players will agree though.

according to tim brown,Callahan drew up a game plan all the raider players were excited about leading up to the superbowl.It called for a major dose of the running game because that was the bucs weakness was in stopping the run.you dont try and throw against Lynch in those guys.Sheesh. But just a mere 48 hours before he gametime he mysteriously changed the game plan and called for most the plays to be passing plays.

WHY if you are trying to win the game do you change the gameplan like that? the Bucs weakness as i said,was stopping the run.why attack their strength trying to throw against them?:rolleyes:

WHY if you are trying to win the game,do you change a game plan in the final minutes leading up to the game all the players were excited about to a gameplan they were NOT excited about?:mad::cuckoo:

The players BEGGED callhand not to change it saying things like-please dont do this to me,please dont change it. yet he ignored them.

Also Callahan was never embraced by the Raider players there Brown said,he said he did not like the Raider players,he just came there for the ride because Gruden brought him along as the OC. He hated al davis as well same as gruden so he said callahan threw the game so that his pal Gruden could have his revenge against Davis since he hated Davis as well.

Makes complete sense to me,dont you agree? I mean that was unheard of for a coach to change the gameplan just mere 48 hours before the game started. In all his days going back to pop warner,high school,college and the pros,tim brown said a coach NEVER change the game plan at the last minute.

PLUS remember,the center of that team mysteriously left the team the day before the superbowl. would not be surprised in the least the reason why he left was to give Gruden the game plan would it you?

That would explain WHY the Oakland players after the game said that the players of tampa bay seems to know every play they were calling saying it was as though they were in the huddle there with them. Now granted that Gruden knew what to anticipate but come on,Callahan change the game plan a mere 48 hours before the game to a plan they all HATED.that was UNPRECEDENTED in the history of the game.

The game plan you work on all week is the one you use that sunday.you dont change it,again that was UNPRECEDENTED.

here is an interview with rice on it.

Chucky will do okay for the short term, not sure if he will continue to reach the players past that. You are going to play Chucky’s way or you will be gone. With a talented QB, Chucky can go far.

DelRio gave up on Carr near the end of the season after Carr couldn’t overcome his injuries, so if Gruden gets a healthy Carr 12-4 and a Super Bowl appearance is quite possible. Without Carr? 6-10 or worse.

damn didnt anyone see this last post of mine?

too long.

try again and keep it short.

okay in short if you look at the facts of what happend it is pretty obvious that bill callahan the coach of the raiders back then threw the superbowl to the tampa bay buccaneers same as pete the cheat did with the seahawks against new england.

Callahan drew up a game plan that all the players were excited about leading up to the superbowl and the reason the players were all excited about the gameplan the whole week he originally came up with is because it called for a heavy dose of the running game from the raiders,that was the Buccaneers weakness was stopping the run.

Then just a mere 48 hours before gameday,he mysteriously CHANGED the game plan where the majority of the plays drawn up called to pass against the Bucs which made no sense in the least because that was the buccanners STRENGTH was stopping the pass. You dont try and throw against Lynch in those guys.:cuckoo:

Tim Brown said that the Raider players BEGGED Callahan not to change the game plan. WHY change a game plan the players were all excited about and had confidance in to game plan the other players did NOT have confidance in? makes no sense in the least UNLESS of course you have taken a payoff as callahan obviously did to throw the superbowl.

In continuation-

Tim Brown said that all of the Raiders players hated the plan to change the game plan.Jerry Rice is the only other Raider player to come out and publicly say the same thing,that he agrees with Rice on Callahan throwing the game.The others dont want to get into it all knowing there is nothing that can be done about it now.

Brown said in all his years playing football going back to his days at pop warner,never in his lifetime from pop warner to high school to college,to the pros and all his time as an NFL player and all his time playing the game of football,no coach had EVER changed the game plan a mere 48 before the game,that they always went with the game plan they worked on the whole week. Jerry Rice said the same thing.

Here is a more in depth story of it in case your interested.

Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice, the Raiders' other starting receiver in the Super Bowl and now an ESPN analyst, backed Brown on his claims in comments to ESPN's "NFL Live" on Tuesday. He said the players found it "very unusual" to change everything at the last minute.

Rice said the Raiders' game plan did change on the Friday before the Super Bowl and the team was surprised by that, "because you worked all week long on running the football." On Friday, Callahan put in a new plan that had the team throwing the ball more than 60 times.

"Why would you wait to the last second to change the game plan?" Rice said.
We all called it sabotage ... because Callahan and Gruden were good friends. And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders. You know, only came because Gruden made him come. Literally walked off the field on us a couple of times during the season when he first got there, the first couple years.
Brown: Callahan 'sabotaged' Raiders in SB loss

Some Raider fans I knew back then THEY could not believe he did not run the ball more often,They brought up an excellent point that the steelers on a monday night game that same year,THEY pounded the ball against them in a game in tampa bay with most the plays being running plays,the Bucs could not stop them as a result. The Raider players offensive lineman greatly outweighed the Buccaneers defensive players at the line of scrimmage and the raider players offensive lineman excelled at the running game.

Callahan threw the game so his pal Gruden who hated Al Davis and Callahan hated as well,so that they would get the last laugh on Davis.Davis as you recall,HATED losing more than any NFL coach that ever lived. hense the JUST WIN BABY slogan he had.:biggrin:

Last edited:
You can understand now WHY I sure hope Gruden does not bring Callahan back as their offensive coordinater. Just like pete the cheat carrol,bill belicheat and shady brady,same as them,he is a criminal who belongs behind bars.

very true as well.

and let's not forget he wanted out of Oakland so bad, he is willing to go in debt to the tune of over 1 billion dollars. . .you read that right 1 billion dollars. . .100 mil to pay Gruden, 850 mil in loans plus the cost of infrastructure, parking etc, just so he can livin' la vida loca in Vegas. . .he is going to have to sell. . .hopefully someone will make him an offer he can't refuse and he will sell before 2020

If Davis had made half that effort to put that kind of money he gave Gruden to stay in Oakland,the raiders would be set to have a new stadium to be built in the future and none of this BS vegas relocation would be taking place.

Forum List

Back