Jogging/Running, Need Help

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Cain, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    So, I have never had a real regime for jogging/running, and that is 60% of the Air Force Physical, which is driving me insane. I need help guys, I need motivation. I have the information, and the technology (running shoes) but need the motivation.

My goal is to be able to jog 5 miles non-stop before I ship out, but right now I'd be happy with a 3 mile jog that is a accelerated jog, not just a jog. So, any motivation is helpful, thanks for the help.

2. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    The Air Force is a fine alternative to military service.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Music, get an ipod, and loose yourself in the run.
    Terrain, find someplace that has a peaceful suroundings and get lost in the sceenery.

I like to use them both. The army requires a two mile run under time.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    The Air Force only requires a 1.5 mile run right? So all you need to do really is 2 miles. Get P90X and you won't have to do all that jogging, which is real boring anyway. Or you could do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Get on an exercise bike, warm up for a few minutes then do one minute of pedaling your ass of as fast as you can then relaxed pedaling for a minute. Do that for say 10 or so intervals and you'll see your stamina and endurance increase.

Plus, if you haven't already done so you may need to change your running style. Make sure you're running heel to toe. If you're running on your toes you'll increase the chance of getting shin splints.

Good luck!

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Agreed. Just go as far as you can first time out, then go again until you reach your distance/time. When I started running years ago, I got winded in under a mile. Now 6 is no problem.

I am pretty reliant on the ipod, though. I even wear them in races when you're not supposed to. If your body doesn't move listening to "Rock 'n Roll Train" by AC/DC, you need help.

Also, I recommend New Balances. More expensive than some other brands, but they're good quality.

Running is a world of benefits: clears your head, gets your cardio going, keeps your gut in check, probably good for mental health, releases endorphins, you name it. Running is good.

http://ririanproject.com/2007/10/22/10-benefits-of-running-and-how-to-do-it/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  6. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have Nike running shoes, but will probably get a new pair of shoes to jog in soon. I am focusing mainly on just DOING cardio, I am terrified I am going to fail to lose the weight, or fail a class I need to graduate, and if I do, idk, talk about life changing. Thanks for the help people. Also, I do HIIT with a bike, they call it "Sprint 8" it's intense, but I need jogging/running to prepare for BMT and to just help burn my fat but.

7. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    Do a calorie restricted diet. Consume say only 2500 calories a day and the weight should melt off a young guy like you with a high metabolism.

Or just stop eating junk food for a while.

8. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have stopped eating junk food, a while ago. I am on a -500 to -800 calorie deficit, currently my body burns on average 2091 Calories per day, and I burn on average 300 calories in Cardio, so I am able to eat around 1200 calories a day.

I just hope my recruiter will start doing PT's weekly, I asked him if he would, he said as long as I drive up to the city to run with him he'd do it, but lately (path month) he hasn't been able too, I am hoping he will say he can this week after PT on Tuesday, but idk. I am really hoping to show him I am trying and he is a great inspiration when it comes to running.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  9. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    It's really easy...

You put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be jogging across the floor.

You put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be running out the door.

10. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    I loved that cartoon when I was a kid! Alright, alright, I still do! :lol: