I'd take any of these guys in their prime before I'd want Favre on my team:
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

Seriously, I think Favre is the most overrated professional athlete of all time.

Why? I don't think he's the greatest ever but I don't know many who think that either.

It's too early to say on Brees and Rodgers. Esiason and McMahon aren't even in the conversation. I can see the arguments for Kelly, Aikman and Young, but at his height, Favre played at a higher level than all of them. Aikman was a winner but never won the MVP. Kelly never won a SB nor an MVP. And unlike those three, there were times when Favre was all the Packers had and he carried them on his shoulders.

Favre had great physical skills, but he was reckless and absolutley horrible at reading defenses. And all else equal, I would still rather have Esiason or McMahon in their prime than Favre in his.

Well even though like i said earlier before,this thread starter has made this exact thread at LEAST once before already in the past, here goes since everybody else is replying to it..totaly agree.could not have said it better myself.Favre while he always made some incredible plays,also made a lot of boneheaded decisions in big games those other quarterbacks you listed did not.That costly interception against the saints in the NFC game was typical of Favre over his entire career.It wasnt just that one game where he made such a boneheaded decision that cost them a game.When he played on the road in the playoffs,most the time,that was typical of his play being so reckless and undisiplined.Thats what kept him from advancing to more superbowls in the playoffs was his recklessness.

Did somebody say Brett Favre? :lol:

Not even top ten during his own era. :thup:

Are you kidding? I wouldn't put him as the very best but he'd be in the top 5 or 6 of his generation. He was a SB winner and 3-time MVP. He holds all sorts of records. He has something like only two losing seasons as a starting QB over 18, which is incredible. These are the best QBs of this era, in no particular order

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Who would you put above Favre?

We may put Aaron Rodgers

Too early. The guy has only been a starter for three years. Phillip Rivers is as good as Rodgers but the Packers are loaded with talent.

Are you kidding? I wouldn't put him as the very best but he'd be in the top 5 or 6 of his generation. He was a SB winner and 3-time MVP. He holds all sorts of records. He has something like only two losing seasons as a starting QB over 18, which is incredible. These are the best QBs of this era, in no particular order

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

Seriously, I think Favre is the most overrated professional athlete of all time.

:clap2::clap2: totally agree.I also would take all of those quarterbacks any day of the year on any given sunday on my team over Favre except for Esiason and McMahon.Only reason I would not take McMahon over Favre is because of how injury prone he was.If he had been as durable as Farve,The Bears would have been in a few more superbowls.Thats why they havent won the superbowl since then is because they havent had a good quarterback since then.Grossman got them there but it was the defense that carried them that far.Once he got to the superbowl,Grossman's true colors were exposed which is why he is a bench warmer now.

Last edited:

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

We may put Aaron Rodgers

Too early. The guy has only been a starter for three years. Phillip Rivers is as good as Rodgers but the Packers are loaded with talent.

One more Superbowl and he has Favre beat......could be a good run and he has the tools. Not as reckless as Favre

We may put Aaron Rodgers

One more Superbowl and he has Favre beat......could be a good run and he has the tools. Not as reckless as Favre

Good point.He is young and has an excellent chance of winning at least one more before his career is over.He is more disiplined and not reckless like Favre so I can easily see that happening.Thats why I laughed at the people who were either drunk or on drugs predicting The Bears to not only go to the superbowl,but to win it all.:lol::lol:

Thats why I did not laugh at the people who predicted The Packers to win the superbowl even though I thought for sure The Steelers would win it easily with no problems because I knew the packers at least had a chance to win though and wasnt TOO surprised they won because I did not laugh at the people for picking the packers to win the superbowl like I did the ones picking The bears to beat the packers because the packers at least have a good quarterback.:lol:

Last edited:
Phillip Rivers is as good as Rodgers...

No freaking way dude.

You must be a soccer fan or something. :cool:

I wouldnt go that far.Rivers isnt quite as good as Rodgers yet.He's close but not quite there yet.Its going to be a lot tougher for him to get to the superbowl now since those idiots in management got rid of L.T and Norv is just a an average so/so coach.He's got to find a way to get there first before I can rank him as good as Rodgers but he is vey close to being almost as good as Rodgers.You got to remember Rivers doesnt have a an outstanding receiving core to throw to like Rodgers does.Rodgers has so many weapons to throw to while Rivers really only has Gates so the comparison is kind of unfair.

The Chargers defense has gone downhill the last couple years as well while The Packers have an excellent defense.You got to remember Rivers had to carry that team on his shoulders this year.He had no running game with the loss of L.T and again the defense is not that great.Put him on the packers squad as the starter with a good coach like Rodgers has, and he would have had them in the superbowl as well this year easily.

Last edited:
I disagree about Rivers.

He'll no doubt have ample opportunity to prove me wrong, but so far he's looked like absolute dog shit when the game is on the line. Reminds me of Bledsoe (and Favre) in that regard.

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

Just remembered something.How can you leave Ben Rothlesberger off that list? He is the MVP of that team and turned that organization around FINALLY bringing back a superbowl championship to Pittsburgh since Bradshaws days winning two out three for them and was the x factor in the victory against the cardinals. Should have won this last oneas well.His teammates made critical mistakes at the wrong time,they basically beat themselves in that game. I would take Esiason off that list and Put Rothlesbergers name there.

Phillip Rivers is as good as Rodgers...

No freaking way dude.

I wouldnt go that far.Rivers isnt quite as good as Favre yet.He's close but not quite there yet.Its going to be a lot tougher for him to get to the superbowl now since those idiots in management got rid of L.T and Norv is just a an average so/so coach.He's got to find a way to get there first before I can rank him as good as Rodgers but he is vey close to being almost as good as Rodgers.You got to remember Rivers doesnt have a an outstanding receiving core to throw to like Rodgers does.Rodgers has so many weapons to throw to while Rivers really only has Gates so the comparison is kind of unfair.

The Chargers defense has gone downhill the last couple years as well while The Packers have an excellent defense.You got to remember Rivers had to carry that team on his shoulders this year.He had no running game with the loss of L.T and again the defense is not that great.Put him on the packers squad as the starter with a good coach like Rodgers has, and he would have had them in the superbowl as well this year easily.

Rivers is just like Dan Fouts and John Hadyl. Easy to do in San Diego

Puts up big numbers in the regular season and folds in the playoffs. Until he puts up big numbers in a big game....I count him out

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

Just remembered something.How can you leave Ben Rothlesberger off that list? He is the MVP of that team and turned that organization around FINALLY bringing back a superbowl championship to Pittsburgh since Bradshaws days winning two out three for them and was the x factor in the victory against the cardinals. Should have won this last oneas well.His teammates made critical mistakes at the wrong time,they basically beat themselves in that game. I would take Esiason off that list and Put Rothlesbergers name there.

Because I'd rather lose with Favre than win with a rapist. :thup:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

Because I'd rather lose with Favre than win with a rapist. :thup:

you got to remember Favre is no saint either with women.:lol:

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

Why not add Trent Dilfer while you're at it ? ......

No freaking way dude.

I wouldnt go that far.Rivers isnt quite as good as Favre yet.He's close but not quite there yet.Its going to be a lot tougher for him to get to the superbowl now since those idiots in management got rid of L.T and Norv is just a an average so/so coach.He's got to find a way to get there first before I can rank him as good as Rodgers but he is vey close to being almost as good as Rodgers.You got to remember Rivers doesnt have a an outstanding receiving core to throw to like Rodgers does.Rodgers has so many weapons to throw to while Rivers really only has Gates so the comparison is kind of unfair.

Puts up big numbers in the regular season and folds in the playoffs. Until he puts up big numbers in a big game....I count him out

well to that logic you got to take Dan Marino off the list as well then.Dont remember Hadyl,but he was just like Fouts as well.Every big game he was in,he stunk up the joint and he never won a superbowl,Favre did. Put Rivers and Marino in his prime on that Packers team that Rodgers had this year,they get the same result Rodgers did and thats another Qb I would also take over Favre as well is Fouts.Like Marino,he was a great quarterback in his prime.Also dont forget,Rivers played hurt in that AFC loss against the patriots that year when the pats went 16-0 and undefeated till they lost the superbowl.the three best players of the chargers of that game,Rivers,Gates and L.t were ALL hurt otherwise that game against the 16-0 patriots would have been much closer.

Last edited:
Montana biggest games were against USC, Texas and Houston.

Had one loss in that series - and that was a crock......................................

Any thing in the NFL was nothing

I recall John Madden saying about Montana whe he went in to spell Steve DeBerg in a game in 1980: "He s
been in the areana."

Last edited:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

I know your joking putting Big Ben in the same catagory as Trent Dilfer.:lol::lol:

That year the Ravens went to the superbowl with Trent Dilfer and the year the bears went to the superbowl with Rex Grossman,are the only two cases in history where a team with a bad quarterback made it to the superbowl because they both had such dominating defenses that teams had an extremely difficult time scoring touchdowns against them,the defense carried those two teams to the superbowl so I KNOW your joking.:lol:

well to that logic you got to take Dan Marino off the list as well then.Dont remember Hadyl,but he was just like Fouts as well.Every big game he was in,he stunk up the joint and he never won a superbowl,Favre did. Put Rivers and Marino in his prime on that Packers team that Rodgers had this year,they get the same result Rodgers did and thats another Qb I would also take over Favre as well is Fouts.Like Marino,he was a great quarterback in his prime.

Rivers has had some great teams and great chances and folded

How did he lose to the Jets at home?

I know your joking putting Big Ben in the same catagory as Trent Dilfer.:lol::lol:

That year the Ravens went to the superbowl with Trent Dilfer and the year the bears went to the superbowl with Rex Grossman,are the only two cases in history where a team with a bad quarterback made it to the superbowl because they both had such dominating defenses that teams had an extremely difficult time scoring touchdowns against them,the defense carried those two teams to the superbowl so I KNOW your joking.:lol:

The last two SB's Pittsburgh won, the refs performance helped the Stealers more than Jenny Rapistberger's .....

Who quarterbacked the Tampa Bay team that beat the Raiders in the SB?

:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back