Joe Montana is the best QB who has ever played

Did somebody say Brett Favre? :lol:

Not even top ten during his own era. :thup:

Are you kidding? I wouldn't put him as the very best but he'd be in the top 5 or 6 of his generation. He was a SB winner and 3-time MVP. He holds all sorts of records. He has something like only two losing seasons as a starting QB over 18, which is incredible. These are the best QBs of this era, in no particular order

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Who would you put above Favre?

I'd take any of these guys in their prime before I'd want Favre on my team:
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

Seriously, I think Favre is the most overrated professional athlete of all time.

Why? I don't think he's the greatest ever but I don't know many who think that either.

It's too early to say on Brees and Rodgers. Esiason and McMahon aren't even in the conversation. I can see the arguments for Kelly, Aikman and Young, but at his height, Favre played at a higher level than all of them. Aikman was a winner but never won the MVP. Kelly never won a SB nor an MVP. And unlike those three, there were times when Favre was all the Packers had and he carried them on his shoulders.

Are you kidding? I wouldn't put him as the very best but he'd be in the top 5 or 6 of his generation. He was a SB winner and 3-time MVP. He holds all sorts of records. He has something like only two losing seasons as a starting QB over 18, which is incredible. These are the best QBs of this era, in no particular order

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

Seriously, I think Favre is the most overrated professional athlete of all time.

Why? I don't think he's the greatest ever but I don't know many who think that either.

It's too early to say on Brees and Rodgers. Esiason and McMahon aren't even in the conversation. I can see the arguments for Kelly, Aikman and Young, but at his height, Favre played at a higher level than all of them. Aikman was a winner but never won the MVP. Kelly never won a SB nor an MVP. And unlike those three, there were times when Favre was all the Packers had and he carried them on his shoulders.

Favre had great physical skills, but he was reckless and absolutley horrible at reading defenses. And all else equal, I would still rather have Esiason or McMahon in their prime than Favre in his.

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

BOOMER ESIASON?????? Fucking BOOMER is better than Favre? Wow... that's just... wow!

I'm just wondering where Terry "I've got 4 superbowl rings" Bradshaw" and Bart "I've got 3 rings" Starr rate on these lists?

Tarkington set most of the records that others had to break. Then Marino, and then Favre. Peyton Manning deserves to be up there... Brady possibly so. Rodgers? Not yet. He needs more time in. Kelly, Elway, Aikman go without saying. McMahon? Not really... top 20..... hmmmmmm maybe. Behind Bernie Kosar.

But to the OP, Montana, best of all time? Hmmmmmm... Top three for sure... definitely the best field general there ever was. But overall.... I want to say yes, but I'm still not sure.

Montana is the best I have ever seen. The guy didn't have the tools of some other QBs, but all he did was win. With the game on the line, he had the best instincts I ever saw

Terry Bradshaw or Joe Namath.
When I was uh murkin I used to follow such idiocy.

Joe Namath is the most overrated QB of all time

Threw more interceptions than TDs, 50% completion rate, 65 QB rating

He won one Superbowl in which he led his team to one touchdown. The Jets Defense beat the Colts that day not Namath. Jets D held the Colts who averaged 30 pts a game to 7 points

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Jim Kelly
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Jim McMahon
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason

BOOMER ESIASON?????? Fucking BOOMER is better than Favre? Wow... that's just... wow!

I'm just wondering where Terry "I've got 4 superbowl rings" Bradshaw" and Bart "I've got 3 rings" Starr rate on these lists?

Tarkington set most of the records that others had to break. Then Marino, and then Favre. Peyton Manning deserves to be up there... Brady possibly so. Rodgers? Not yet. He needs more time in. Kelly, Elway, Aikman go without saying. McMahon? Not really... top 20..... hmmmmmm maybe. Behind Bernie Kosar.

But to the OP, Montana, best of all time? Hmmmmmm... Top three for sure... definitely the best field general there ever was. But overall.... I want to say yes, but I'm still not sure.

Boomer always played on shitty teams. He would've been just as successful as Favre in Green Bay, if not moreso IMO.

I didn't include Bradshaw, Starr, Tarkenton, Graham or Unitas because I was only listing QB's whose playing days overlapped with Favre's.

And yes, I'd add Kosar to the list of QB's I think were better than Favre. :thup:

Joe Namath is the most overrated QB of all time

Threw more interceptions than TDs, 50% completion rate, 65 QB rating

He won one Superbowl in which he led his team to one touchdown. The Jets Defense beat the Colts that day not Namath. Jets D held the Colts who averaged 30 pts a game to 7 points

I agree that anyone who lists him among the best is certainly overrating him. But I don't think very many people list him among the best.

Brady
Manning
Elway
Montana
Favre
Marino

We may put Aaron Rodgers

Notice that I didn't put Drew Bledsoe on my list of QB's better than Favre.

And I'm a die hard Pats fan.

When Montana destroyed a GOOD Southern California team 49-19 - (made it look easy) -thought this guy was something special...................

WTF - ND shouold get to to Final 4 and win - like they should have in 1978

Notice that I didn't put Drew Bledsoe on my list of QB's better than Favre.

And I'm a die hard Pats fan.
well at least your honest then and not a total homer. ;) And you didn't cite Steve Grogan either. LOL

I also didn't cite Don Majikowski.

Freaking injustice

cuase of refs gaffe - USC wins the game against ND gets a share of theNc

tell me im wrong
You're wrong.

A certain dude by the name of Francis set all the records that modern quarterbacks have chased after, back in the day when the running game ruled the league.

Tarkenton,Fran7.jpg

Man those were the good old days when the NFL was fun to watch when the vikings played outdoors.:clap2: I miss the goold old days when the NFL was fun and i got excited about it every weekend before the moronic advent of free agency,parity,domed stadiums,and these greedy selfish owners deserting their long time fans for greener pastures to move to another city.That brings back such fond memories seeing the vikings outdoors again at a home game the way it should be.:frown: hopefully after this season,they can get a new outdoor stadium again like the Seattle Seahawks wisely did.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back