Joe Montana is the best QB who has ever played

I wouldnt go that far.Rivers isnt quite as good as Favre yet.He's close but not quite there yet.Its going to be a lot tougher for him to get to the superbowl now since those idiots in management got rid of L.T and Norv is just a an average so/so coach.He's got to find a way to get there first before I can rank him as good as Rodgers but he is vey close to being almost as good as Rodgers.You got to remember Rivers doesnt have a an outstanding receiving core to throw to like Rodgers does.Rodgers has so many weapons to throw to while Rivers really only has Gates so the comparison is kind of unfair.

The Chargers defense has gone downhill the last couple years as well while The Packers have an excellent defense.You got to remember Rivers had to carry that team on his shoulders this year.He had no running game with the loss of L.T and again the defense is not that great.Put him on the packers squad as the starter with a good coach like Rodgers has, and he would have had them in the superbowl as well this year easily.

Rivers is just like Dan Fouts and John Hadyl. Easy to do in San Diego

Puts up big numbers in the regular season and folds in the playoffs. Until he puts up big numbers in a big game....I count him out

well to that logic you got to take Dan Marino off the list as well then.Dont remember Hadyl,but he was just like Fouts as well.Every big game he was in,he stunk up the joint and he never won a superbowl,Favre did. Put Rivers and Marino in his prime on that Packers team that Rodgers had this year,they get the same result Rodgers did and thats another Qb I would also take over Favre as well is Fouts.Like Marino,he was a great quarterback in his prime.

Also dont forget,Rivers played hurt in that AFC loss against the patriots that year when the pats went 16-0 and undefeated till they lost the superbowl.the three best players of the chargers of that game,Rivers,Gates and L.t were ALL hurt otherwise that game against the 16-0 patriots would have been much closer.

added that last paragraph on.How did he lose to the jets at home? Welll that wasnt his best game no doubt but again He isnt ENTIRELY to blame for that loss.Its a team game.The offensive line and others contributed as well.again its not like he was entirely to blame for that loss unlike that QB Dieter Brock of the LA Rams was in that 85 NFC loss to the bears whom that idiot John Robinson loved so much he thought he was a better qb than reliable Jeff Kemp.:lol: Being a die hard LA Rams fan,i remember that very well-"hate them the most now since they moved,may that owner suffer and burn in hell for that." or Marc Wilson was the same year in the Raiders first round loss ironically to the patriots that same year as well.

and have you already forgotten that kicker of theirs always chokes in big games? He did that as well another time also when Bree's was their quarterback losing the first round game to the jets back then.you havent all ready forgotten that have you? you cant win close games when your kicker chokes all the time as Brees found out when he was there.:lol:

You didnt address Dan Marino though.again if Rivers is a bad quarterback for not putting up big numbers in a big game,then so is Dan Marino.:lol:

Thats like saying Rod Carew wasnt one of the greatest baseball players in major league baseball history because he never made it to the world series.:lol:

Last edited:
Rivers is just like Dan Fouts and John Hadyl. Easy to do in San Diego

Puts up big numbers in the regular season and folds in the playoffs. Until he puts up big numbers in a big game....I count him out

well to that logic you got to take Dan Marino off the list as well then.Dont remember Hadyl,but he was just like Fouts as well.Every big game he was in,he stunk up the joint and he never won a superbowl,Favre did. Put Rivers and Marino in his prime on that Packers team that Rodgers had this year,they get the same result Rodgers did and thats another Qb I would also take over Favre as well is Fouts.Like Marino,he was a great quarterback in his prime.

Rivers has had some great teams and great chances and folded

How did he lose to the Jets at home?

Just addressed this in my last post since I added on some more to it about Rivers in the last paragraph there.

Why not add Trent Dilfer while you're at it ? ......

I know your joking putting Big Ben in the same catagory as Trent Dilfer.:lol::lol:

That year the Ravens went to the superbowl with Trent Dilfer and the year the bears went to the superbowl with Rex Grossman,are the only two cases in history where a team with a bad quarterback made it to the superbowl because they both had such dominating defenses that teams had an extremely difficult time scoring touchdowns against them,the defense carried those two teams to the superbowl so I KNOW your joking.:lol:

Who quarterbacked the Tampa Bay team that beat the Raiders in the SB?

:eusa_whistle:

oh yeah.I forgot about Brad Johnson.It can happen where you get to the superbowl with a lousy qb as this was another one of those rare cases.I now dont fault Dennis Green for demoting Gannon to the bench instead of Johnson.Gannon was pretty much entirely to blame for that loss in the superbowl.He picked the worst possible time to have his worst game ever in his career.All of his interceptions resulted in touchdowns for the bucs,if he had just thrown the ball away at least giving his team a chance,it would have at least been a closer game.Man it took me YEARS to get over that loss.

Not a Raiders fan,just was a Gannon fan then-a friend of mine is firneds with him.man he let me down big time.I have tried to forget that game for years so thats why I forgot that one.Green did know what he was doing making Johnson the starter for the vikings back then and Gannon backing him up.Johnson didnt make the stupid mistakes Gannon did in his biggest game of his life.

Just remembered something.How can you leave Ben Rothlesberger off that list? He is the MVP of that team and turned that organization around FINALLY bringing back a superbowl championship to Pittsburgh since Bradshaws days winning two out three for them and was the x factor in the victory against the cardinals. Should have won this last oneas well.His teammates made critical mistakes at the wrong time,they basically beat themselves in that game. I would take Esiason off that list and Put Rothlesbergers name there.

Why not add Trent Dilfer while you're at it ? ......

I know your joking putting Big Ben in the same catagory as Trent Dilfer.:lol::lol:

That year the Ravens went to the superbowl with Trent Dilfer and the year the bears went to the superbowl with Rex Grossman,are the only two cases in history where a team with a bad quarterback made it to the superbowl because they both had such dominating defenses that teams had an extremely difficult time scoring touchdowns against them,the defense carried those two teams to the superbowl so I KNOW your joking.:lol:

Jeff Hostetler won a SB with the Giants, let's remember.

The Favre/Rodgers debate is the 2000's answer to the Montana/Young debate.

Just addressed this in my last post since I added on some more to it about Rivers in the last paragraph there.

OK. Then where is Rivers signature victory?

Any QB can put up big numbers in San Diego

Nonsense.

At times this season, the Chargers first five starting receivers were out injured. Rivers is the Chargers.

And Rivers played in the AFC Championship, losing to the then 17-0 New England Patriots with Tomlinson on the bench.

I'll answer that when YOU answer this question that I have to ask you now for the THIRD time which is since Rivers is like Marino,puts up big numbers but hasnt won the big game yet,how is it okay for Marino to be up there on that list of Qb's better than Favre but Rivers cant be up there.:lol:cant have it both ways,either both Rivers and Marino are not better than Favre,or they are both better than he is,which one,is Marino now off that list? Marino doesnt have his signiture victory yet either.and I got to repeeat for you again,that according to your logic,Rod carew is not one of the best baseball players ever either since he never made it to the wolrd series. dude think about what you have been saying in all your posts.:lol::lol::lol:

I'll answer that when YOU answer this question that I have to ask you now for the THIRD time which is since Rivers is like Marino,puts up big numbers but hasnt won the big game yet,how is it okay for Marino to be up there on that list of Qb's better than Favre but Rivers cant be up there.:lol:cant have it both ways,either both Rivers and Marino are not better than Favre,or they are both better than he is,which one,is Marino now off that list? Marino doesnt have his signature victory yet either.and I got to repeeat for you again,that according to your logic,Rod carew is not one of the best baseball players ever either since he never made it to the world series. dude think about what you have been saying in all your posts.:lol::lol::lol:

I'll answer that when YOU answer this question that I have to ask you now for the THIRD time which is since Rivers is like Marino,puts up big numbers but hasnt won the big game yet,how is it okay for Marino to be up there on that list of Qb's better than Favre but Rivers cant be up there.:lol:cant have it both ways,either both Rivers and Marino are not better than Favre,or they are both better than he is,which one,is Marino now off that list? Marino doesnt have his signature victory yet either.and I got to repeeat for you again,that according to your logic,Rod carew is not one of the best baseball players ever either since he never made it to the world series. dude think about what you have been saying in all your posts.:lol::lol::lol:

Rivers is not comparable to Marino. He is the latest incarnation of Dan Fouts and John Hadl. San Diego QBs who put up awesome numbers and couldn't win in the play offs. Big passing numbers come with playing in San Diego. So does failing in the play offs

Rod Carew is not an all time great. He is not even top 20. Singles hitter who got 3000 hits. Since we are talking San Diego, Tony Gwynn was much better than Carew

Last edited:

Rivers is not comparable to Marino. He is the latest incarnation of Dan Fouts and John Hadl. San Diego QBs who put up awesome numbers and couldn't win in the play offs. Big passing numbers come with playing in San Diego. So does failing in the play offs

Rod Carew is not an all time great. He is not even top 20. Singles hitter who got 3000 hits. Since we are talking San Diego, Tony Gwynn was much better than Carew

I tell ya,

Same clown;
Different circus.

Phil Rivers wasn't even the starting QB until Brees was traded.

Marino started every year of his storied career; heres a sampling...
Awards
1984 NFL AP MVP
1984 NFL PFWA MVP
1984 NFL Newspaper Ent. Assoc. MVP
1984 NFL Bert Bell Award (Player of the Year)
1984 NFL AP Offensive Player of the Year
1994 NFL AP Comeback Player of the Year
1998 NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year

Pro Bowls (Back when every single 1st string player wasn't bowing out and it meant something)

Passer Rating
1983 NFL 96.0 (3)
1984 NFL 108.9 (1)
1985 NFL 84.1 (5)
1986 NFL 92.5 (2)
1987 NFL 89.2 (4)
1988 NFL 80.8 (10)
1990 NFL 82.6 (8)
1991 NFL 85.8 (7)
1992 NFL 85.1 (7)
1994 NFL 89.2 (3)
1995 NFL 90.8 (8)
1996 NFL 87.8 (6)

Passing TD
1984 NFL 48 (1)
1985 NFL 30 (1)
1986 NFL 44 (1)
1987 NFL 26 (2)
1988 NFL 28 (2)
1989 NFL 24 (6)
1990 NFL 21 (8)
1991 NFL 25 (4)
1992 NFL 24 (2)
1994 NFL 30 (3)
1995 NFL 24 (8)
1996 NFL 17 (10)
1998 NFL 23 (7)
Career 420 (2)

420 Freaking touchdown passes. Yeah Phil Rivers dreams of being 1/2 the player Marino was.

Montana may be the greatest QB of the SB era, but I find it hard to argue against Otto Graham as the greatest of all time. In 10 professional seasons (4 with the AAFL, 6 with the NFL) he went to 10 championship games, and won 7. He even played a season of professional basketball, and won a championship! His record as a starting QB was 57-13-1, which I believe is still the best winning percentage ever.

It's hard to compare such different eras of football, but that kind of success is unrivaled.

Montana may be the greatest QB of the SB era, but I find it hard to argue against Otto Graham as the greatest of all time. In 10 professional seasons (4 with the AAFL, 6 with the NFL) he went to 10 championship games, and won 7. He even played a season of professional basketball, and won a championship! His record as a starting QB was 57-13-1, which I believe is still the best winning percentage ever.

It's hard to compare such different eras of football, but that kind of success is unrivaled.

You are right.....It is hard to compare different eras.

Otto Graham won wherever he played and was a great leader. But one thing you have to remember is the NFL had two divisions and ten teams. Once you won your division you played one game to win the championship.
Now you have to win the division (or wildcard) then win three (or four) games against playoff quality teams to win the Superbowl. You have to beat out thirty one other teams rather than nine other teams. It is a lot harder

You really need to get off this san diego trip.Rivers has won some playoff games so whats your point? :cuckoo:Your the one that keeps talking about putting up big numbers but cant win the big game so AGAIN,Marino is in the same boat as Rivers is if you are going to keep saying he isnt as good as Rodgers for not winning the superbowl.:cuckoo:

and you got to be joking about Carew,he is easily an all time great.maybe not in the top 20 but for sure in the top 30 which is still a great accomplishment..One of the best clutch hitters ever.again you need to get off this san diego trip thing,but since you bring up Gwynn,he wasnt that great a hitter either then according to you since he never made it to the world series.:cuckoo: this is really getting tiresome going round and round with you on this.

Nonsense.

At times this season, the Chargers first five starting receivers were out injured. Rivers is the Chargers.

And Rivers played in the AFC Championship, losing to the then 17-0 New England Patriots with Tomlinson on the bench.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

agreed.I think he is the best modern day quarterback to have played the game but yeah its hard to compare to the all time greats.Yeah I would say Otto Graham and Johnny Unitas are probably the best "all time greats."

You really need to get off this san diego trip.Rivers has won some playoff games so whats your point? :cuckoo:Your the one that keeps talking about putting up big numbers but cant win the big game so AGAIN,Marino is in the same boat as Rivers is if you are going to keep saying he isnt as good as Rodgers for not winning the superbowl.:cuckoo:

and you got to be joking about Carew,he is easily an all time great.maybe not in the top 20 but for sure in the top 30 which is still a great accomplishment..One of the best clutch hitters ever.again you need to get off this san diego trip thing,but since you bring up Gwynn,he wasnt that great a hitter either then according to you since he never made it to the world series.:cuckoo: this is really getting tiresome going round and round with you on this.

Rivers is a very good QB. There is one thing holding him back from being an all time great QB....He never led his team to a championship. More than a first baseman who gets five plate appearances a game, A QB touches the ball on every snap. He is the one, fairly or not, who is judged on "winning the big one"
Over time, Rivers may put up numbers comparable to Marino. Maybe win an MVP. But like Marino, he would be considered a very, very good QB, but not an all time great

Marino had better skills than Montana, Staubach, Elway, Bradshaw but never had that huge highlight in a big game to be his signature play. Rivers is in the same boat

Rivers is a very good QB. There is one thing holding him back from being an all time great QB....He never led his team to a championship. More than a first baseman who gets five plate appearances a game, A QB touches the ball on every snap. He is the one, fairly or not, who is judged on "winning the big one"
Over time, Rivers may put up numbers comparable to Marino. Maybe win an MVP. But like Marino, he would be considered a very, very good QB, but not an all time great

Marino had better skills than Montana, Staubach, Elway, Bradshaw but never had that huge highlight in a big game to be his signature play. Rivers is in the same boat

You mean Marino was a better pure passer?

Forum List

Back