Jobs? Did you say 'jobs'?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by PoliticalChic, Aug 22, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,938
    1. "Willie Geist, MSNBC: What would you say to that same person that said, 'Well, that hasn't worked for four years. I haven't had the job over time, it's time for a change.'

Stephanie Cutter, Obama deputy campaign manager: Well, I think that worker probably has a good understanding of what's happened over the past four years in terms of the president coming in and seeing 800,000 jobs lost on the day that the president was being sworn in, and seeing the president moving pretty quickly to stem the losses, to turn the economy around, and over the past, you know, 27 months we've created 4.5 million private sector jobs. That's more jobs than in the Bush recovery, in the Reagan recovery, there's obviously more we need to do, and as I said to Mika at the at beginning of the program, I think that unemployed worker probably sees one person in this race trying to move the country forward and that's the president."
    Cutter: Obama Has Created More Jobs Than the Reagan Recovery | RealClearPolitics

And now for the truth:

2. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are fewer people employed now than back in January 2009 when Barack Obama was sworn in as President, and there are more people unemployed now than in January 2009.
    Back then, a reported 142 million people had jobs. In July 2011, 139.2 million people had jobs.
    In terms of employment, the private sector is smaller now than when Obama was sworn in. In January 2009, 110.9 million people were working in the (nonfarm) private sector, but by July 2011 there were only 109.9 million - despite the larger U.S. population in 2011.
    RealClearMarkets - More Unemployed Presently, Than In 2009

a. Employed, June 2012 142 million
    Employment Situation Summary Table A. Household data, seasonally adjusted

3. ZERO net job growth from 2009 through 2011
    Obama Claims 4 Million New Jobs « Inform The Pundits!

BTW....Population growth is about 1% annually.
    Population growth (annual %) | Data | Table

Proof that the Obama administration will make up any story....up to you to believe it or not.

So....population has increased.....jobs, not so much.

Another failure by the pretender in the people's house....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    U.S. Firms Move Abroad - Yahoo! Finance

More big U.S. companies are reincorporating abroad despite a 2004 federal law that sought to curb the practice. One big reason: Taxes.

Companies cite various reasons for moving, including expanding their operations and their geographic reach. But tax bills remain a primary concern. A few cite worries that U.S. taxes will rise in the future, especially if Washington revamps the tax code next year to shrink the federal budget deficit.

3. expat_panama

expat_panama Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    It's not that Obama was working really fast to be able to destroy a million jobs in a single day. It's that Cutter is able to make up daily labor reports all on his own that can tote the party line, sound impressive to the extreme left, and ignore reality.
    That 'Cutter Labor Report' may be somewhat closer to the truth actually. It's just that Cutter doesn't want to talk about all the jobs Obama destroyed during the other year and a half as president.

4. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I don't think anybody believes that 4.5 million jobs created number except for the mindblind liberal ideologues who lost touch with reality a long time ago. But maybe if you tell a big enough lie enough times maybe some people will think it must be true.

5. pinqy

pinqy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    Let's check:
    The interview was August 22 2012 and the claim was that in the last 27 months there was a gain of 4.5 million private sector jobs.
    The latest data at the time of the interview was for July 2012 and there were 111,317,000 private sector jobs (preliminary seasonally adjusted). 27 months earlier was April 2010 where there were 107,107,000. So "in the last 27 months" there was an increase of 4.21 million private sector jobs. Now, she possibly meant 29 months, as Feb 2010 was the low point in jobs, and it has been an increase of 4.5 million in the last 29 months.
    And now for the truth:

Whoa! Cutter was talking about April 2010 to July 2012 and you're rebutting that with Jan 2009 to July 2011????? How does that work? And not just that, but you're you've comparing different data sets. You can't compare the household survey with the establishment survey.

Right...from 2009 to 2011 there was zero net jobs. BUT from Feb 2010 to July 2012 there was a net gain of 4.5 million.

Yes, it can be confusing...2 different surveys for employment and jobs. But if you're going to rebutt a claim you have to look at the same time frame claimed. Now if you want to add on that the 4.5 million gain was right after a 4.2 million LOSS, that would be fine, and would show Obama is being a little disingeuous.

One more time: Jan 2009 there were 110,985,000 non-farm private sector jobs. By Feb 2010 it dropped to 106,773,000 and by July 2012 it was 111,317,000 (pre recession it was 115,647,000)

So....Have 4.5 million private sector jobs been gained in the last 29 months? Yes.
    Is that back up to the level when Obama took office? Yes.
    Is it back up to pre-recession levels? Hell, No.

Note that Obama is restricting the claims to PRIVATE sector. State and local governments have laid off a lot of people and if we look at Total non-farm jobs, it was 133,561,000 when he took office, dropped to 129,244,000 in Feb 2010 and is now up to 133,245,000, which is a gain of 3.5 million in the last 27 months (gee, wonder why they went with private sector?) and is still not up to the level of when Obama took office.

Note, I have not defended Obama's policies, I have specifically pointed out the misleading parts of the Obama campaign claims, and yet some idiot will still claim my post is biased or defending Obama. i've listed straight facts you can double check at Table B-1. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by industry sector and selected industry detail [In thousands]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,991
    Obama is lying about that three letter word: j-o-b-s!!

7. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,938
    "...the mindblind liberal ideologues..."

While I certainly agree with the essence of your post, and that the quote above represents the reliable Democrat voter, the Cutter-Obama ploy is to influence the voter not paying close attention.

The details are beyond any except for you, and I, and folks like friend pinqy whose post is above yours. Except for us, the rest is inside baseball.

So...and this is for pinqy, as well,....it is important to confront the generalization, and not just the time frame Cutter demands we use.

In short...Obama has not been a job creator.
    The import of her interview is a lie, whether or not the dates are.

8. EdwardBaiamonte

EdwardBaiamonte Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    While the population has grown 11 million since Barry took office!!

Perhaps this is one reason why Barry likes to talk about job creation rather than the unemployment rate of 8.2%.

9. Rshermr

Rshermr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Do you suppose, perhaps, that since the pres can not make law, or pass legislation, that the problem just might be that Congress, as in the repubs, have refused to pass ANY stimulus??? Or do you have an actual suggestion as to what SHOULD happen. Repubs say decrease taxes, decrease spending, and decrease regs. Can you point to a time when that has worked??? Just wondering, you know.

And by the way, PoliticalChic, you are trying really hard to prove the pres did not create any jobs. You probably know what the cbo says. So, I can believe you, being the impartial source that you are, or I can believe the cbo. What should I do????

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  10. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,938
    Well, first....when I observe your name....can I buy a vowel?

Further....try to be a bit more au fait, when it comes to current events....

"since the pres can not make law, or pass legislation,"

That no longer applies since we have a gent named Obama: he changes laws at will, e.g., the 1996 Welfare Reform Bill....