Job of the weekend...remove old wood furnace...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
... Then fabricate new ductwork...

Disconnected the furnaces and got the old furnace out of the corner and the electric furnace back into it's corner.

Tomorrow have to build a ramp to get it over a seven inch rise...then start building duct for the first time.

IMG_20221020_174935171_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221020_181331837_HDR.jpg

Why would you remove a wood or gas furnace to replace it with electric? Your bills will rise & you will be screwed in a grid down situation. Putin is threatening to use nukes that will destroy the electric grid.

If you need to use electric to keep pipes from freezing when out of town, use a electric space heater or electric heat tape the pipes.

Well, I'm not envying you and I'm secure in believing that you'll do a great job.. whenever in doubt, no skimping

Unless it was FUBAR I would have left it in as a back-up heat source.

Did it have coal grates too, many of them did though they often got tossed.....A few bags of nut coal and you are set.

Looks as if space may have been a issue though a pick and shovel would have solved that. ;)

LOL.....I had to hack out a place for a oil furnace and hot water heater in my grandparents root cellar back in the 70s.....Instead of blocking it my granddad shored it up with cedar logs.

Why would you remove a wood or gas furnace to replace it with electric? Your bills will rise & you will be screwed in a grid down situation. Putin is threatening to use nukes that will destroy the electric grid.
They were run in series...but the bottom has burnt/rusted out of the old wood stove. We already have a new wood stove installed in the living room that heats the house as well as the old one.

Unless it was FUBAR I would have left it in as a back-up heat source.

Did it have coal grates too, many of them did though they often got tossed.....A few bags of nut coal and you are set.

Looks as if space may have been a issue though a pick and shovel would have solved that. ;)

LOL.....I had to hack out a place for a oil furnace and hot water heater in my grandparents root cellar back in the 70s.....Instead of blocking it my granddad shored it up with cedar logs.
It's fubar.

The bottom of the firebox let go.

Since the electric furnace was running though the heat exchanger of the wood furnace...70% of the electric heat was being blown into the cellar

Didn't discover it had given up the ghost until the 20° weather rolled in.

We bank the new wood stove at night...then let the electric furnace take over in the wee hours.

It was a rude awakening when that failed to keep the house warm.

I use 2 pieces of angle iron & a couple of clamps for a sheet metal brake to form ductwork.
:thup:

I have a thirty something inch manual metal brake from harbor freight in the shed from another project...but thanks for posting the Diy brake.

Whoever put in the original duct knew their craft. It is all costom made from sheet metal including the connectors.

A semi-lost art I suspect.

I bought Z channel for connecting.

You should put it on FaceBook market in Germany (assuming it's in tolerable working order). It would bring a good price over there.

It's fubar.

The bottom of the firebox let go.

Since the electric furnace was running though the heat exchanger of the wood furnace...70% of the electric heat was being blown into the cellar

Didn't discover it had given up the ghost until the 20° weather rolled in.

We bank the new wood stove at night...then let the electric furnace take over in the wee hours.

It was a rude awakening when that failed to keep the house warm.
Yep, time for it to go.

Whoever put in the original duct knew their craft. It is all costom made from sheet metal including the connectors.

A semi-lost art I suspect.

I bought Z channel for connecting.
Not a lost art. HVAC installers make them on a regular basis. Get a set of Right, Left & Straight cut Tin Snips, Folding Tool, Hand Seamers, Metal Brake & Crimpers, then you can make almost any duct or plenum.
image_25477.jpg

image_12936.jpg

61opNnYm1HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71waVoZG6RL._AC_UL640_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Not a lost art. HVAC installers make them on a regular basis. Get a set of Right, Left & Straight cut Tin Snips, Folding Tool, Hand Seamers, Metal Brake & Crimpers, then you can make almost any duct or plenum.
image_25477.jpg

image_12936.jpg

Yep...
Worked in a sheet metal shop for awhile when I was a youngster.
Learned a lot about fabricating with sheet metal,we made gutters,louvers and a bunch of other stuff.
Still have my tin snips and several other tools.

Good news and bad news.

The bottom of the expensive firebox seems to be intact...only the heat exchanger was damaged.

IMG_20221022_123342447.jpg

Bad news ... The door hinge broke off...

IMG_20221022_124753895.jpg

Now I have to build a cradle to catch it when I roll it over to keep from damaging it further as there is an opportunity to refurbish it and put it back into use.

image_25477.jpg

image_12936.jpg

I think I have most of those...I'm missing a standard red...but hopefully I won't be cutting any curves today.

IMG_20221022_134000685.jpg

KissMy

Quick question if you have time..

How long should the tabs be that the s-locks go on and the ones bent around for the drive cleats?

Forum List

Back