Jim Rice

My knowledge of the Rose scandal is dated, I'll admit. I was under the impression he bet against the Reds when he was coaching them. If he didn't, or it wasn't PROVEN so, I would be surprised if he didn't. You don't get much more of an inside opportunity to make some money on sports betting, then to actually be in control of a team you're betting on/against.

It would be nice to assume he was somewhat ethical in his actions, but I highly doubt it. When you have what amounts to a sure thing, why pass it up?

You know, same reason the players shot steroids? A sure thing?

Human nature. But I'm misanthropic in a lot of ways, so maybe it's just me.

My knowledge of the Rose scandal is dated, I'll admit. I was under the impression he bet against the Reds when he was coaching them. If he didn't, or it wasn't PROVEN so, I would be surprised if he didn't. You don't get much more of an inside opportunity to make some money on sports betting, then to actually be in control of a team you're betting on/against.

It would be nice to assume he was somewhat ethical in his actions, but I highly doubt it. When you have what amounts to a sure thing, why pass it up?

You know, same reason the players shot steroids? A sure thing?

Human nature. But I'm misanthropic in a lot of ways, so maybe it's just me.

i don't know that it was proven he bet against his team, but he definitely bet on his team. he claimed he bet on them winning. personally, i don't think it makes a difference.

As far as I know, he maintains he never did that and there exists no evidence to the contrary.

Evidence notwithstanding, it would be naive to assume he only bet on his team to win, in the face of something already as completely unethical as betting on the sport while you're a direct participant in it.

I realize that a mere suspicion alone shouldn't be used against him, but tell that to the writers who rejected McGwire.

So you don't think McGwire not getting in set the precedent?

And I'd love for you guys who think Rose should get in before the steroid players, to explain why. How is taking steroids worse than betting on your sport, and against your own team while you're managing it?

Or are you trying to claim some type of theoretical statute of limitations, and that it's been long enough?

Because personally, I think his actions were way more deplorable.

I think Rose should be in also.

The fact is though, Bonds is the all time home run leader and a multiple all star player with serveal gold gloves.

Also, he hasn't been convicted by MLB like Rose has.

Rose admitted to his actions in his book

McGwire hasn't been convicted either, and his numbers are automatic HOF.

Apparently the writers who vote, don't exclusively take into consideration only a conviction. Suspicion of use was definitely a factor in their decision. It will be with Bonds also. McGwire set the precedent. You can expect Palmiero, Clemens, Bonds, Sosa, etc, to all be left out.

Whether or not they continue to stay out, is the ultimate question.

McGwire hasn't been convicted either, and his numbers are automatic HOF.

Apparently the writers who vote, don't exclusively take into consideration only a conviction. Suspicion of use was definitely a factor in their decision. It will be with Bonds also. McGwire set the precedent. You can expect Palmiero, Clemens, Bonds, Sosa, etc, to all be left out.

Whether or not they continue to stay out, is the ultimate question.

It's all subjective...as it should be.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Rose. But I wouldn't vote for McGuire. Why? Because in my subjective opinion, McGuire's numbers without the juice wouldn't come anywhere near automatic. What Rose did as a player is unassailable.

:confused:

how can you say that? especially considering what the manager controls.

If he bet against his team, maybe it's as bad as steroids. betting on his team is bad enough, but a lifetime ban? What about allowing him in when he dies?

Forum List

Back