Jewish settlements accused of using Palestinian child labor

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012
I've often read the phrase that Israel would be "A light amongst Nations in the ME ,"
As one can clearly see, the ethnocentricity not only steals land but now their children for exploitation...A blight amongst Nations, indeed!

What kind of People are these?

Jewish settlements accused of using Palestinian child labor - Yahoo Finance
JERUSALEM (AP) — A leading international human rights group on Monday accused Jewish settlements in the West Bank of using Palestinian child labor in farming, calling it a violation of international law.

Human Rights Watch said the settlement farms, most of them in the Jordan Valley, employ children as young as 11, pay them low wages and subject them to dangerous working conditions. In a 74-page report, the New York-based group said hundreds of children work in the settlement farms, often in high temperatures, carrying heavy loads and are exposed to hazardous pesticides.

Israel captured the West Bank from Jordan in the 1967 war and has built dozens of settlements there since. Palestinians from nearby villages often find employment there in construction and agriculture.

Human Rights Watch said it interviewed 38 children and 12 adults in Palestinian communities in the Jordan Valley. According to the report, Palestinian children often drop out of school to pick, clean and pack asparagus, tomatoes, eggplants, sweet peppers, onions and dates, among other crops.

HRW says international law, as well as Israeli and Palestinian law, sets 15 as the minimum age of employment, though many of the children interviewed by the group said they began working at 13 or 14.

Last edited:
"Israel's settlements are profiting from rights abuses against Palestinian children," said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch. "Children from communities impoverished by Israel's discrimination and settlement policies are dropping out of school and taking on dangerous work because they feel they have no alternatives, while Israel turns a blind eye."

I've often read the phrase that Israel would be "A light amongst Nations in the ME ,"
As one can clearly see, the ethnocentricity not only steals land but now their children for exploitation...A blight amongst Nations, indeed!

JERUSALEM (AP) — A leading international human rights group on Monday accused Jewish settlements in the West Bank of using Palestinian child labor in farming, calling it a violation of international law.

Human Rights Watch said the settlement farms, most of them in the Jordan Valley, employ children as young as 11, pay them low wages and subject them to dangerous working conditions. In a 74-page report, the New York-based group said hundreds of children work in the settlement farms, often in high temperatures, carrying heavy loads and are exposed to hazardous pesticides.

Israel captured the West Bank from Jordan in the 1967 war and has built dozens of settlements there since. Palestinians from nearby villages often find employment there in construction and agriculture.

Human Rights Watch said it interviewed 38 children and 12 adults in Palestinian communities in the Jordan Valley. According to the report, Palestinian children often drop out of school to pick, clean and pack asparagus, tomatoes, eggplants, sweet peppers, onions and dates, among other crops.

HRW says international law, as well as Israeli and Palestinian law, sets 15 as the minimum age of employment, though many of the children interviewed by the group said they began working at 13 or 14.

Isn't it just awful PBel? How can we help free the Palestinian squatters from Israel? Do you think maybe Mecca might be a nice place for a Palestinian State?

Isn't it just awful PBel? How can we help free the Palestinian squatters from Israel? Do you think maybe Mecca might be a nice place for a Palestinian State?

You have it wrong , the squatters are the Israelites. Why don't the Russians, Poles, and Germans go back to their countries. I hear a lot of them go to Germany as they cost of living is better. With the 1 million Russians going to Israel since 1990 we can call it little Russia, like we do in the states, aka little Odessa.

You have it wrong , the squatters are the Israelites. Why don't the Russians, Poles, and Germans go back to their countries. I hear a lot of them go to Germany as they cost of living is better. With the 1 million Russians going to Israel since 1990 we can call it little Russia, like we do in the states, aka little Odessa.

Oh now I get it. The Muslim Palestinians built Solomon's Temple. Take that you Zionists.

pbel, et al,

Let's not over dramatize this, or take it out of proportion.
  • 3.6% of children aged 10-17 years are employed: 4.9% in the West Bank and 1.6% in Gaza Strip.
SOURCE: Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) Press Release on the Results of the Labour Force Survey (October– December, 2013)​

Human Rights Watch is most probably right in terms of Palestinian Children dropping out of school to work. But it is only 3.6%... In comparison, the US drop-out rate is stated:

Status dropouts are no longer attending school (public or private) and do not have a high school level of educational attainment. Based on data from the Current Population Survey, the status dropout rate decreased from 12 percent in 1990 to 7 percent in 2012, with most of the decline occurring after 2000 (when it was 11 percent). However, there was no measurable difference in the rate between 2011 and 2012.
SOURCE: National Center for Education Statistics

In the US, there are many factors that put a student at risk to dropping out of school. Many times not all risk factors apply to all students. However, research has consistently indicated the following risk factors as variables that lead to a student dropping out of school: (3 REASONS STUDENTS DROPOUT OF HIGH SCHOOL)
  • Lack of parent engagement
  • Poor academic performance
  • Work/Family economic needs
  • Lack of a supportive adult
  • Disconnect between school academics and work
  • Not enough individualized attention
  • Low student engagement
In the US, the high school drop-out rate alone is about 7% --- with one of the major reasons being to contribute financially to family needs.

(COMMENT)

It should be noted that the unemployment rate among Palestinian Drop-outs ---- aged 15 years and above ---- in Palestine was 23% (About 270,000 persons). West Bank was 19% (≈ 141,000); compared with 33% in Gaza Strip (≈ 129,000). In this --- it is important to remember that the Palestinians Adults (Palestinian middlemen, who are responsible for hiring, transporting, and paying workers.) play a key role in child labor:

Settler employers do not contract directly with Palestinian agricultural workers, but work through Palestinian middlemen, who are responsible for hiring, transporting, and paying workers. Each middleman – whom workers refer to in Arabic as a was it, or in Hebrew as a kablon, or contractor – is typically paid around 75 to 100 shekels ($28.50) per day by the employer, and in addition, deducts fees of around 15 to 25 shekels ($4.25 to $7.14) from the daily wages of each worker for whom he or she is responsible, in part to cover transportation and other expenses. SOURCE: HRW Report April 2015 --- Ripe for Abuse Palestinian Child Labor in Israeli Agricultural Settlements in the West Bank
This problem is NOT an exploitation issue by the Israeli's alone --- but starts with the Palestinian who is exploiting such underage and high school drop-outs children by first allowing them to even enter the labor exchange market. Even the Human Rights Watch admits this on page 32 of their report.

There is also a question of exploitation:

“The contractor came to my house and asked me if I wanted to work. Work is better than school, my family needs me to work. There are six in my family, three boys and one girl and my parents. I’m the oldest boy, and me and my father work. My family wants me to finish school and also to work on weekends, and I do too.” SOURCE: HRW Report April 2015 --- Ripe for Abuse Palestinian Child Labor in Israeli Agricultural Settlements in the West Bank

Examine this statement and ask yourself, is it better for the Palestinian Family that the child be denied an income for the sake of the Humanitarian effort. What happens if the child is accepted into the work exchange and is given a wage; --- "versus" --- what happens if the child is denied a wage???
  • Who benefits?
  • Who loses?
  • What advantage does the family achieve?
Even in the US, Child Labor Laws vary and are confusing. Since the HRW Report concentrated on Agricultural Work, in the comparison, I will use US Minimum Age Standards for Agricultural:

What are the Minimum Age Standards for Agricultural Employment?
  • Youths ages 16 and above may work in any farm job at any time.
  • Youths aged 14 and 15 may work outside school hours in jobs not declared hazardous by the Secretary of Labor.
  • Youths 12 and 13 years of age may work outside of school hours in non-hazardous jobs on farms that also employ their parent(s) or with written parental consent.
  • Youths under 12 years of age may work outside of school hours in non-hazardous jobs with parental consent, but only on farms where none of the employees are subject to the minimum wage requirements of the FLSA.
  • Local youths 10 and 11 may hand harvest short-season crops outside school hours for no more than 8 weeks between June 1 and October 15 if their employers have obtained special waivers from the Secretary of Labor.
  • Youths of any age may work at any time in any job on a farm owned or operated by their parents.

Most Respectfully,
R

At least the teenagers are willing and able to work while the men do nothing but hold out their hands for free shit. I and all my childhood friends worked from at least age 12 to 18. No big deal. That's how I got my first car at age 16.

Hardly a valid source now is it, after all it is the word of islamonazi liars and anti semitic liars that you are posting. How about a non partisan source for the truth ?

"Israel's settlements are profiting from rights abuses against Palestinian children," said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch. "Children from communities impoverished by Israel's discrimination and settlement policies are dropping out of school and taking on dangerous work because they feel they have no alternatives, while Israel turns a blind eye."

Even the founder of HRW has stated that is has become anti semitic

Criticism of Human Rights Watch - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

And how about a non partisan link to prove your fanciful claims

You know anyone can edit Wiki, but even if true.

Of course any criticism of Israel is antisemitic according to ZioNutters.. But when HRW criticizes a Muslim country they are not anti-Muslim. LOL

HRW is despised by most countries that commit human rights abuses.

What about Amnesty International, are they antisemitic when they criticize Muslim countries or only when they criticize Israel?

You know anyone can edit Wiki, but even if true.

Of course any criticism of Israel is antisemitic according to ZioNutters.. But when HRW criticizes a Muslim country they are not anti-Muslim. LOL

HRW is despised by most countries that commit human rights abuses.

What about Amnesty International, are they antisemitic when they criticize Muslim countries or only when they criticize Israel?

Why don't you look closer at the evidence Abdul and see just what is happening

that was debunked already. Israel already pays higher wages and farms are not going to risk their export licenses. There are enough workers needing work already, they don't need to hire children.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back