Jewish prayer songs and Hebrew songs (popular/classic)

No thread about Jewish Music would be complete without this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHx0XdVuq4A]Bloch : Servizio Sacro (Avodath Hakodesh) ????? ????? -Parte I-II-III - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPoGNcJNLfE]Bloch : Servizio Sacro (Avodath Hakodesh) ????? ????? Parte IV-V - YouTube[/ame]

Ernst Bloch's ADOVATH HAKODESCH - in all five parts.

1959 Recording, New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein, Conductor.

The immortal Robert Merrill, arguably the great Baritone who ever lived, Soloist.

The is THE cornerstone work of classical Jewish repertoire and some of the most incredible choral writing ever. I have conducted this work, coached pro choruses, done analyses of it. Just an amazing thing. This is great one to bookmark and sometime, when you are doing chores around the house and have an entire hour to listen while doing stuff, this is the work to listen to.

In the first video, in Part III (17:35 into the video, there is the "Silent Meditation" - yihyu l'ratson im refii.... just incredible, one of the most breathtaking moments in all of a cappela history).

Shabbat shalom everyone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGK9Vf32VWw]Shabat shalom medley - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH8gtdDA5x0]Jerusalem of Gold - Yerushalayim shel Zahav -Ofra Haza- with English Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]
Jerusalem of Gold" (Hebrew: ירושלים של זהב*, Yerushalayim Shel Zahav) is a popular Israeli song written by Naomi Shemer in 1967. The original song described the Jewish people's 2000-year longing to return to Jerusalem; Shemer added a final verse after the Six-Day War to celebrate Jerusalem's unification under Israeli control.

At that time, the Old City was under Jordanian rule; Jews had been barred from entering, and many holy sites had been desecrated. Only three weeks after the song was published, the Six-Day War broke out. The song was the battle cry and morale booster of the Israeli troops. Shemer even sang it for them before the war and festival, making them among the first in the world to hear it. On 7 June, the Israel Defense Forces captured the eastern part of Jerusalem and the Old City from the Jordanians. When Shemer heard the paratroopers singing "Jerusalem of Gold" at the Western Wall, she wrote a final verse, reversing the phrases of lamentation found in the second verse. The line about shofars sounding from the Temple Mount is a reference to an event that actually took place on 7 June.

Last edited:
This brings back special memories for me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbflT6G9DMs]????? ????????- ?? ?????????? - YouTube[/ame]

Song from the Moshav Band called Come Back. Anyone who is toying with the idea of aliyah will get one or two tears in their eyes at this one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56hyhPs-4Vc]Follow Me to Israel (Come Back) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sokC2Vo0YY]Esther Ofarim - Ve'ulay - ???? ?????? - ????? - YouTube[/ame]

VE'ULAI
AND PERHAPS
(Kinneret Sheli) (My Kinneret)

Ve'ulai - lo hayu hadvarim me'olam
Ve'ulai - lo hishkamti im shachar lagan
Le'avdo beze'at apay...

Me'olam - bayamim arukim veyokdim
(arukim veyokdim) shel katsir
Bimromei agalah amusat alumot
Lo natati koli bashir

Me'olam lo taharti bitchelet shoktah
uvatom

Chorus
Shel Kinneret sheli,
hoy Kinneret sheli
Heyayit, o chalamti chalom?

(repeat)

And perhaps - these things never happened
And perhaps - I never rose at dawn to plant
the fields with my own hands...

Never - on the long days
(long) of harvest

I did not give my voice to sing.

Never did I purify myself in your azure waters
with innocence

Chorus
Of my Kinneret,
oh my Kinneret.
Perhaps it was a dream.
(repeat)

A gift for [MENTION=25505]Jroc[/MENTION] and [MENTION=44172]Sweet_Caroline[/MENTION]

3 short prayers:

Ki his'bya
Yi'yu l'ratson imrefi (known usually as the silent meditation)
Tsur Yisrael (Rock of Israel)

https://soundcloud.com/statistikhengst/2004-04-26-010-gooding1

The composer is David Gooding, from Cleveland, Ohio.

Modern stuff, but interesting. Hard to sing. :)

Last edited:
Shabbat Shalom everyone. Here is the opening song the Saturday Shabbat service in synagogue.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNvTOiJcvfE]Rachel Hyman sings Ma Tovu - YouTube[/ame]

Ma Tovu (Hebrew for "O How Good" or "How Goodly") is a prayer in Judaism, expressing reverence and awe for synagogues and other places of worship.

The prayer begins with Numbers 24:5, where Balaam, sent to curse the Israelites, is instead overcome with awe at God and the Israelites' houses of worship.

Its first line of praise is a quote of Balaam's blessing and is thus the only prayer commonly used in Jewish services that was written by a non-Jew. The remainder of the text is derived from passages in Psalms relating to entering the house of worship and preparation for further prayer (Psalms 5:8; 26:8; 95:6; and 69:14). In this vein is the prayer recited by Jews upon entering the synagogue.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XiUREOUGpw]Yerushalaim is not for sale by mordechai ben david - YouTube[/ame]

Shabbat Shalom everyone. Here is the opening song the Saturday Shabbat service in synagogue.

Rachel Hyman sings Ma Tovu - YouTube

Ma Tovu (Hebrew for "O How Good" or "How Goodly") is a prayer in Judaism, expressing reverence and awe for synagogues and other places of worship.

The prayer begins with Numbers 24:5, where Balaam, sent to curse the Israelites, is instead overcome with awe at God and the Israelites' houses of worship.

Its first line of praise is a quote of Balaam's blessing and is thus the only prayer commonly used in Jewish services that was written by a non-Jew. The remainder of the text is derived from passages in Psalms relating to entering the house of worship and preparation for further prayer (Psalms 5:8; 26:8; 95:6; and 69:14). In this vein is the prayer recited by Jews upon entering the synagogue.

This is the version of the same prayer as above that we sing at the start of every Shabbat service on a Saturday. The above is a modern version but in our synagogue we are more traditional with most of our prayer singing, singing the version below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB9K-z-nABo]Mah Tovu by Louis Lewandowski - YouTube[/ame]

The Lord Bless You And Keep You (Aaronic Blessing) - YouTube

Y' va-re-che-cha Adonai v'yish-mire-cha
Ya-er Adonai panav elei-cha vihu-necha

Yi-sah Adonai panav elei-cha
V'ya-sem l'cha shalom v'ya-sem l'cha shalom

The Lord bless you and keep you
May the Lord shine His Face upon you

And be gracious unto you; may the Lord look upon you
And give you peace, and give you peace

V'ya-sem l'cha shalom and give you peace

unbelievably peaceful.

What a beautiful blessing! Awesome, Stat.! May the LORD bless you. You're a real blessing. :eusa_angel:

- Jeri

The Lord Bless You And Keep You (Aaronic Blessing) - YouTube

Y' va-re-che-cha Adonai v'yish-mire-cha
Ya-er Adonai panav elei-cha vihu-necha

V'ya-sem l'cha shalom v'ya-sem l'cha shalom

The Lord bless you and keep you
May the Lord shine His Face upon you

And be gracious unto you; may the Lord look upon you
And give you peace, and give you peace

unbelievably peaceful.

What a beautiful blessing! Awesome, Stat.! May the LORD bless you. You're a real blessing. :eusa_angel:

- Jeri

Todah Rabah, Chavver!!!

This is the version of the same prayer as above that we sing at the start of every Shabbat service on a Saturday. The above is a modern version but in our synagogue we are more traditional with most of our prayer singing, singing the version below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB9K-z-nABo]Mah Tovu by Louis Lewandowski - YouTube[/ame]

Great arrangement! My synagogue choir sang it very often and I sang the Chazzanut quite often. There is also a good Sulzler arrangement and I have my own as well, when it is recorded next, I will upload it.

Lewandowski was the "big Dog" in Berlin, whilst Sulzer was "big Dog" in Vienna. Great guys!!

There is a nice part of the "Alte Synagogue" in the Oranienburgerstraße in Berlin, which today is a a museum, that is dedicated to Lewandowski!!

Great arrangement! My synagogue choir sang it very often and I sang the Chazzanut quite often. There is also a good Sulzler arrangement and I have my own as well, when it is recorded next, I will upload it.

Lewandowski was the "big Dog" in Berlin, whilst Sulzer was "big Dog" in Vienna. Great guys!!

There is a nice part of the "Alte Synagogue" in the Oranienburgerstraße in Berlin, which today is a a museum, that is dedicated to Lewandowski!!

Not that I want to be a critic here, If you like Catholic, Christian, influence on Jewish tunes that's beautiful. If not, which is where I'm at. That sounds way too much like Catholic music. But that's me, I'm a traditionalist. That's not a criticism of anyone personally, I just like my traditional chanting. I know Catholic music, I was raised in a Catholic neighborhood. Ive been to Catholic churches many, many times. That sounds just like a Catholic church to me.

Mah Tovu by Louis Lewandowski - YouTube

Not that I want to be a critic here, If you like Catholic, Christian, influence on Jewish tunes that's beautiful. If not, which is where I'm at. That sounds way too much like Catholic music. But that's me, I'm a traditionalist. That's not a criticism of anyone personally, I just like my traditional chanting. I know Catholic music, I was raised in a Catholic neighborhood. Ive been to Catholic churches many, many times. That sounds just like a Catholic church to me.

It is the same version as I was brought up with in an orthodox synagogue. It is probably a European thing.

It is the same version as I was brought up with in an orthodox synagogue. It is probably a European thing.

More to my liking....

The Bliss of Shabbat...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mTOk5hhfbs]Cantor Yaakov Lemmer Sings Rozo D'shabos Pintzik - YouTube[/ame]

Mah Tovu by Louis Lewandowski - YouTube

Not really, it's just Jewish music coming into the feeling of the harmonies and techniques of the Romantic period of music. But I like virtually every style of Jewish music, to whit, to whit.

Forum List

Back