‘Jeopardy!’ champ James Holzhauer has won over $1 million—here’s how he keeps winning

Holtzhauer gets 97 percent of the answers correct and he plays with confidence he will know the answer

He is also amazingly fast on the buzzer as you watch other contestants frantically trying to buzz in

His opposition plays like losers. When they get a late Daily Double, instead of going for a double will say....$2,000 Alex

The whole point is NOBODY knows 97 percent of every conceivable subject.
But Jeopardy is not 'every conceivable subject'. The questions are the stars..and they are designed to flatter the ego of the audience..and keep them watching. There is definitely a Jeopardy demographic..and they are the ones who pay the bills.

A rigorous study of the questions asked..over 20 years...provides a clear indication of what areas are most likely to be explored..the rest is study and native intelligence--as well as a killer brand of gamesmanship.

That's all well and good, but the flash cards being used contain most of the answers to the questions. Tonight's episode reminded me of a WWE wrestling match as Holzhauer did not predictably get all the Daily Doubles and then wagered so low in final that he was destined to lose.

I'm guessing that the reason he wagered so low was that he was in second place going into Final Jeopardy, and he knew that if she got the answer right, she had enough money to beat him by a dollar, and, looking at what she wagered for final, that is exactly what she was doing. He figured she was going to know it (she had done so well in the previous rounds), and wanted to bow out gracefully.

Holtzhauer gets 97 percent of the answers correct and he plays with confidence he will know the answer

He is also amazingly fast on the buzzer as you watch other contestants frantically trying to buzz in

His opposition plays like losers. When they get a late Daily Double, instead of going for a double will say....$2,000 Alex

But Jeopardy is not 'every conceivable subject'. The questions are the stars..and they are designed to flatter the ego of the audience..and keep them watching. There is definitely a Jeopardy demographic..and they are the ones who pay the bills.

A rigorous study of the questions asked..over 20 years...provides a clear indication of what areas are most likely to be explored..the rest is study and native intelligence--as well as a killer brand of gamesmanship.

That's all well and good, but the flash cards being used contain most of the answers to the questions. Tonight's episode reminded me of a WWE wrestling match as Holzhauer did not predictably get all the Daily Doubles and then wagered so low in final that he was destined to lose.

I'm guessing that the reason he wagered so low was that he was in second place going into Final Jeopardy, and he knew that if she got the answer right, she had enough money to beat him by a dollar, and, looking at what she wagered for final, that is exactly what she was doing. He figured she was going to know it (she had done so well in the previous rounds), and wanted to bow out gracefully.
She had to wager close to double or nothing in case he did the same

If they both were wrong, he would have won
If both were right, she would win
If he was right and she was wrong, he wins
Opposite and she wins

Opposite and she wins

Yeah, but he watched how she played, and used that to decide how much he would wager. He knew she was in it to win it when she hit the daily double and took the lead and kept it. He knew she would wager enough to win, and based on how she had played the first 2 rounds, he figured that it was a pretty good bet she would get the answer right.

Remember......................he is a professional gambler, and knows how to read the odds. He figured he was beat, and decided to bow out gracefully, BUT, his low wager also reflected that he knew she would have to go almost double in order to win, and if she didn't know it, he would have still had enough money to win.

Opposite and she wins

Yeah, but he watched how she played, and used that to decide how much he would wager. He knew she was in it to win it when she hit the daily double and took the lead and kept it. He knew she would wager enough to win, and based on how she had played the first 2 rounds, he figured that it was a pretty good bet she would get the answer right.

Remember......................he is a professional gambler, and knows how to read the odds. He figured he was beat, and decided to bow out gracefully, BUT, his low wager also reflected that he knew she would have to go almost double in order to win, and if she didn't know it, he would have still had enough money to win.

Usually he gets all the daily doubles or at least two

What hurt him was the first question which came up daily double, so he could only wager 1000.......usually he got 10,000 on that question after racking up some points first

Emma hit both daily doubles in the second round. He couldn’t recover

Only one question was missed on the entire show

Opposite and she wins

That play was a built in dodge. Watch the episode again.

Latest update - he's won 31 or 32 in a row now and his total is $2,382,583 as of today's Jeopardy.

On one of the shows, a Jeopardy question gave away the secret: they use flash cards to prep the players. NOBODY has that many answers in their head. Some of you have watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, etc.

Holzhauer is good because as a gambler, he greatest asset is his short term memory. Card players watch the cards in play and rely on their short term memory for their livelihood. It's getting boring at this juncture. I'd like to see what he could do without the flash cards.

Answer: What is Porter Rockwell is a retard?

Are you a communist, faggot, or idiot?

Opposite and she wins

The man knows wagering

Latest update - he's won 31 or 32 in a row now and his total is $2,382,583 as of today's Jeopardy.

On one of the shows, a Jeopardy question gave away the secret: they use flash cards to prep the players. NOBODY has that many answers in their head. Some of you have watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, etc.

Holzhauer is good because as a gambler, he greatest asset is his short term memory. Card players watch the cards in play and rely on their short term memory for their livelihood. It's getting boring at this juncture. I'd like to see what he could do without the flash cards.

All would consider you a retard

Opposite and she wins

The man knows wagering

He also knew too many answers without those flash cards... to which were admitted to, BTW. He always bid big on Daily Doubles, and all of a sudden, he's dumber than a box of rocks and his experience ringing in is overcome with a newcomer???

All would consider you a retard

Most would call you an idiot for starting shit you can't back up.

The new champ looked like Holthauer in the first round
She looked like a deer in the headlights in the second round and blew the fInal Jeopardy question

From what I understand he wagered low so the 3rd place guy wouldn't beat him or something confusing like that.
She looked like a deer in the headlights in the second round and blew the fInal Jeopardy question
So she already lost ?

From what I understand he wagered low so the 3rd place guy wouldn't beat him or something confusing like that.
So she already lost ?
Nope
She had enough in Final Jeopardy that she couldn’t be beat

But after a huge first round, she was nothing in the second

Well, it looks like Jeopardy is back to it's normal ebbs and flows. The champ lost today.

Too bad, she was so close to the 100,000 dollar mark (that is what gets you invited back for the champion tournament).

Well, it looks like Jeopardy is back to it's normal ebbs and flows. The champ lost today.

Too bad, she was so close to the 100,000 dollar mark (that is what gets you invited back for the champion tournament).
She was smart but lacked a killer instinct

james threw the game.....

No he didn't. He was in second place, and knew that there was no amount he could bet to beat her. His best hope was to bet light and hope that she bet heavy and missed the question.

I mean, for crying out loud, the dude is a professional gambler and knows how to read the odds, and what strategy would be the best course of action.

No he didn't. He was in second place, and knew that there was no amount he could bet to beat her. His best hope was to bet light and hope that she bet heavy and missed the question.

I mean, for crying out loud, the dude is a professional gambler and knows how to read the odds, and what strategy would be the best course of action.
i dont buy it,i was answering questions he did not even buzz in on...me a dumbass.....he just lost interest...

He threw the game. Watch the episode again. Watch the man's body language BEFORE the game begins. Why doesn't he know more answers? After a month of using the thing to buzz in, he gets taken by a newcomer that easily?

Forum List

Back