James Holmes sentenced to AT LEAST life in prison, possibly death penalty

Holmes is obviously psychopathic. Keeping him alive in a prison is pointless and wasteful. He should be put to sleep asap.
Ah, yes......we wouldn't want those......

.....making an effort to END these on-going tragedies!!!!!

eusa_doh.gif

Stupid Fuckin' Moralists

Semantics, people.

The judge told him that his charges carry a MINIMUM sentence of life in prison, possibly death. He's as good as sentenced to one or the other. Perhaps I should have said: "James Holmes WILL be sentenced to AT LEAST life in prison, possibly death penalty" but regardless of words, the results are the same. He WILL be sentenced to one or the other, based on what the judge said.

That's not sentencing. It's not "just semantics", you're using the wrong term and presenting a pretend scenario as a fait accompli. He isn't as good as sentenced at all. He can only be sentenced if he's convicted, and he's a long way from being convicted, and in fact may not even stand trial. He has been CHARGED and the charges carry certain sentences...but that in no way is an assurance that he will be convicted of those charges, or that they charges will not be changed, or he might not be ultimately convicted of lesser charges.

Sorry, this is probably complicated for you.

Last edited:
^Yes he will. There's no way the charges will be dropped. This guy is not getting the insanity plea, because he's not (legally) insane!

You clearly know nothing about mental illness, therefore you should not talk about it.

I may not, but don't give me that. You know as well as everybody else that Holmes is not mentally ill in the disabled sort of way, IF any. The only "mental illness" he might have is being a psychopath or sociopath.

Ah, yes.....the ol' Everybody knows tactic.

How sophomoric of you.

:eusa_hand:

Admit it.......you don't KNOW shit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnO2hkei2Q]Book TV: E. Fuller Torrey "The Insanity Offense" - YouTube[/ame]
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOKwuuveSQ[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think about his sentence? ...

Twelve victims died in the attack, 58 others were wounded. The melee is among the worst mass shootings in modern-day American history. Prosecutors filed a total of 142 criminal charges against him, including 116 counts of attempted murder. The 24 murder counts reflect dual charges (premeditated and without remorse) by the prosecutors.

In the lengthy list of charges, the Arapahoe County District Attorney's Office accuses Holmes of, "evidencing an attitude of universal malice manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life."

During Monday's hearing, Judge William Sylvester carefully explained to Holmes that the charges carry a minimum sentence of life in prison and a maximum of death. The district attorney near Denver has not announced if she will seek the death penalty against the alleged gunman.

Misleading title

No link

fail

Semantics, people.

The judge told him that his charges carry a MINIMUM sentence of life in prison, possibly death. He's as good as sentenced to one or the other. Perhaps I should have said: "James Holmes WILL be sentenced to AT LEAST life in prison, possibly death penalty" but regardless of words, the results are the same. He WILL be sentenced to one or the other, based on what the judge said.

I seem to remember people saying that about OJ.

And Casey Anthony.

:eusa_whistle:

I promise you, VM, the judge did not say he will be sentenced for one or the other.

A hearing is not where the judge tells someone "we're charging you with this and this will be your sentence after we go through the laughable formality of a little thing called a trial...which will in no way determine your guilt or innocence."

How many sick people need to be exterminated.....in-order-to quench moralists' thirst-for-blood?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvFI_S_3Vb4]Schizophrenia (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]​

I've heard and read many different (professional) opinions on just what psychopathology is, some of which hold that a physically identifiable cause of aberrant behavior, such as a brain tumor, must be present to qualify. But I believe capability and motivation are adequate indicators of whether someone can be considered psychologically normal or not.

Timothy McVeigh, for example, was motivated by the BATF's and FBI/HRT's actions at Waco to spend months constructing a massive bomb and detonating it without regard for innocent casualties. While his motivation is understandable, the capability of carrying out such an elaborate act of vengeance with utter disregard for innocent victims is sufficiently abnormal to qualify as psychopathology. In other words, anyone who is capable of doing something that bizarre is a menace to society by virtue of his psychological condition. Is there need for a more technical definition of what insanity is?

Is anyone here willing to say this Holmes fellow isn't crazy? Why should knowing the cause of his pathology be necessary for it to qualify as legal insanity?

Last edited:
I've heard and read many different (professional) opinions on just what psychopathology is, some of which hold that a physically identifiable cause of aberrant behavior, such as a brain tumor, must be present to qualify. But I believe capability and motivation are adequate indicators of whether someone can be considered psychologically normal or not.

Timothy McVeigh, for example, was motivated by the BATF's and FBI/HRT's actions at Waco to spend months constructing a massive bomb and detonating it without regard for innocent casualties. While his motivation is understandable, the capability of carrying out such an elaborate act of vengeance with utter disregard for innocent victims is sufficiently abnormal to qualify as psychopathology. In other words, anyone who is capable of doing something that bizarre is a menace to society by virtue of his psychological condition. Is there need for a more technical definition of what insanity is?

Is anyone here willing to say this Holmes fellow isn't crazy? Why should knowing the cause of his pathology be necessary for it to qualify as legal insanity?

I've always preferred "Guilty but Insane"

^Are you saying you don't believe there are evil deeds done in the world today (and always)? Maybe not evil in an absolute sense of the word, but evil nonetheless.
Evil is....and, always has been.....a fairy-tale concept.

handjob.gif

Liberals don't believe in 'Good and Evil'.

To them, it's all relative.
.....And, "conservatives" DREAD Death, so much, they'll fall for......

.....ANY horseshit they're fed!!!!!

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." - Albert Einstein

827.gif

Forum List

Back