I've been asked to spread this around.....

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by freeandfun1, Jan 5, 2005.

1. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Dear Mr. President and Mr. Vice President.

My name is Jennifer Eggers. My husband SSG Kyle A Eggers was killed in Iraq 12-5-04. He was with the 506th INF in the Army.

They were stationed in South Korea and were told they were "safe" there. Well, 3 months after my husband arrived in Korea he was told they were heading into Iraq sometime in the summer ... and at first they were told they would not be going home to see their families before they left. After a lot of biting and scratching they received "block leave" of 14 days.....

That 14 days plus the 6 weeks before Kyle left for Korea is the only time he got to see his 3rd son. And now my 3 young boys will be growing up without a father. Tegan and Kaden Eggers who are identical twins will be 3 Feb. 15th and Zane Eggers who turned 1 Dec 31st of 2004.

It is heart breaking to know that my husband gave his life for this country and now me and his sons feel like no one cares about us any more. It has now been 1 month since my husband was killed. the memorial services and burial are over, the phone calls have almost ended, and a few cards are still trickling in.

But we are still living on the $12,000 up front death benefits. No survivor benefits have started yet. no social security, and no VA Benefits. With 3 growing young boys I don't know how I am going to take care of them with the little money we will be receiving. I am currently living at home with my parents. But cannot afford to move into my own place until all these benefits start and I know how much I can afford.

Here is the real reason I am emailing you today. I am trying to understand why the families of the 9-11 victims are able to receive millions of dollars while families of soldiers who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country will be scraping by or having to go back to work to support the families their soldiers left behind.

If there is some way you can explain this to me I would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    Jennifer Eggers
    20 Kenny Drive A
    Yakima WA 98902

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Plan on seeing about this on CNN soon.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    good point but shouldn't it be addressed to Congress ?

4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes, but understand, she just lost her husband, it frustrated and is reaching out to the man she THINKS can help her. I know it will be on CNN as I have already been told so by the person that has the contacts there.

Several of us are sending her letter to our congressmen and to the local editorial papers. She supports the war, she is just frustrated that the 911 victims got so much while our soldiers and their survivors get so little. As was mentioned in another thread, the SGLI benefits should be raised to $1million in my opinion.

5. pretender

pretender Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    ... and, add to the fact that she sees millions going to aide those affected by the Tsuami and it adds insult to injury, I am sure. The families of our fallen should come first.

It is so sad. Three young children who will never know their father. My heart hurts for her and others like her.

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Update:

She is talking about CNN

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    you're so right.

8. Fmr jarhead

Fmr jarhead Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    It is very sad to hear her story...I certainly hope that she gets all the support she can from friends and family. AS time goes by, and she realizes she must now raise her children by herself, she can instill the pride and hard work that her husband knew so well.

I am quite certain that she will honor his memory by setting an example for her children to persevere through adversity and hardship and overcome personal tragedy with success that her husband fought for.....

My hat is off to her, and all those who have served, and know the suffering and hardship that so many families experience firsthand through the sacrifice their loved ones have made to help keep us safe and fight for the freedoms that all people deserve.

Rest in Peace SSG Kyle A Eggers!

9. Thornton

Thornton Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That's a sad situation and a shame for our country.

We need to help the people in Asia. I don't begrudge our help there, but I have a problem when we give food, medical supplies, clothing and money to other countries, while our own go without.

In many alleys in the coldest cities in the United States groups of American citizens, many vetereans, huddle around garbage burning in trash cans for heat, sleep in cardboard boxes, and scavvage for food. Where is the help for them? How come we can ship building supplies and hundreds of people go to Asia to help, but we ignore the homeless in our own country?

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i hope she somehow makes some headway with this... for her to be struggling like this is a disgrace, the SGLI must be expedited so disasters like this don't happen to families of the fallen