It’s the sun and it’s coming for us

Oh STFU...
It is a story based on an unlikely worst case scenario EMP attack on the U.S.
What made this book get discussed so much wasn't the reality or accuracy of the EMP attack. What caught people's attention was the extraordinary number of deaths that happened and the fact the author sourced those numbers.
It got people to talk... Gee.. would those kind of numbers of people really die if, for whatever reason, there was a large scale loss of power?
And the answer from all kinds of experts was - yes. They would preface that by saying the event itself (massive EMP attack) is very unlikely to succeed.. but if other events took place - namely - severe solar event... we would be very fucked. And it doesn't take a genius to think for more than 20 seconds as to why such high number of people would die.

You mean an NEMP attack ... and even that doesn't have the energy or power to do what you seem to be gullible enough to believe ... nor is it designed to ...

Yeah ... another thing that would fuck everyone is an NEMP attack at the same time as The Big Rip ... duh ...

You mean an NEMP attack ... and even that doesn't have the energy or power to do what you seem to be gullible enough to believe ... nor is it designed to ...

Yeah ... another thing that would fuck everyone is an NEMP attack at the same time as The Big Rip ... duh ...
:rolleyes:

Oh STFU...
It is a story based on an unlikely worst case scenario EMP attack on the U.S.
What made this book get discussed so much wasn't the reality or accuracy of the EMP attack. What caught people's attention was the extraordinary number of deaths that happened and the fact the author sourced those numbers.
It got people to talk... Gee.. would those kind of numbers of people really die if, for whatever reason, there was a large scale loss of power?
And the answer from all kinds of experts was - yes. They would preface that by saying the event itself (massive EMP attack) is very unlikely to succeed.. but if other events took place - namely - severe solar event... we would be very fucked. And it doesn't take a genius to think for more than 20 seconds as to why such high number of people would die.
Motto for Astroquacks: "If It's Weird, It's Wise"

How much would Hollywood pay for that disaster scenario? Big bucks for sensationalist scripts is what motivates goofy geeks today.

When the sun hits Earth with a big solar flare and CME, the electrical grid could be irreparable damaged. Experts think this could be coming in our life time. Sending mankind back to a pre-electrical age, resulting in mass death.

This has been known for a long time but until recently, the msm hasn’t reported it.

Solar Cycle 25 is Exceeding Predictions and Showing Why We Need the GDC Mission

With more activity comes an increase in space weather events including solar flares and solar eruptions, which can impact radio communications, electric power grids, and navigation signals, as well as pose risks to spacecraft and astronauts. We have an increasing dependence on space-based technology and ground-based infrastructure that are susceptible to the dynamic nature of space.
Solar Cycle 25

Solar eruptions, flares could impact Earth, NASA says

Solar eruptions, flares could impact Earth, NASA says
Yes, this will happen, it is only a matter of time. Will it take down the power grid? It depends on two factors, the strength of the CME, and the strength of the Earth's own magnetic field.

LOL I posted a thread on the possibility of a Carrington Event some time ago, and all you dumb fucks made fun of it. Yes, such an event is a definite possibility. However, while it's effects would be severe, it would not be the end of the world, and I expect that we would muddle through it. But all of you silly asses that are hoping for Armageddon believing that somehow your silly beliefs would allow you to profit will find that is simply another one of your fantasies.
I notice, when you were asked to link your thread, you did not. I remember when you posted that thread. I personally did not mock you. IN fact, I personally, thought you were entirely too optimistic about our potential outcome, should one hit. You, as usual, were using it as a platform to push your green energy agenda.

There is something far more dangerous, and sinister related to this issue, than just, "energy," which most folks are not even aware. It is more, about, survival, IMO.

Well ... it's been ten years ... the probability of a big CME turns out to have been ZERO % ... no surprise there ... fear-mongering at it's ugliest ... do these people really think the readers are this stupid ... this insults the intelligence ... "physicist Pete Riley of Predictive Science Inc. published a paper in Space Weather" ... no link? ... let's get this straight ... Mr Riley looked at the past 50 years of data and concluded a 1 in 8 chance for a Big CME ... that's means he found 6 CMEs that hit Earth in those fifty years ... 12% ... and you believe him? ... [shakes head] ...

The next violation of common sense is damaged caused ... ships at sea aren't effected because they're grounded through the ocean water ... people, pets, homes, businesses, schools and hospitals are also grounded, so no effect ... what wasn't grounded in 1854?, telegraph wires ... and for the most part, these wires picked up enough charge to run without the operators spining the rheostats ... only in a few places were there fires or damage ... the system never went down ... operators were able to quickly install spare equipment ...

That was then and this is now ... today we have far more overhead wires and we have come to depend on these wires more than 170 years ago ... at least some of us have ... a good 20% of us don't even have an electric grid and no electricity in our homes or businesses ... 50% of us have such piss-poor service that we can't rely on the grid to begin with ... another 20% who have only recently received such modern invention and have yet to come to depend on the grid ...

That leaves the 10% in Anglo-America and Western Europe who would suffer ... [shrugs shoulders] ... hardly the existential threat some imagine this will be ... and with the 24 hour warning, really only Texas is stupid enough to not open their breakers and set everything to Earth ground ...
There is more here to this issue, than just CME ejections. As long as the Earth's Magnetic field strength remains strong? We will probably be able to withstand, or indeed, recover from most CMEs. We had learned some valuable lessons from the Carrington Event, and the CME of 1989.

What we are not prepared for, and will never, EVER be prepared for, is a CME event, when the Earth's magnetic field strength is disorganized or completely weakened.

You think CMEs won’t do damage. Proof you’re uninformed.

Agreed.
According to my research, it would require a super large solar flare and CME to take out the country’s entire grid or most of it. If the earth’s magnetic field is weakening as experts claim, we become more exposed as it weakens. Of course if government and energy companies are really doing things to protect the grid, the damage might be minimized.

Without electricity for a several month period, millions dying seems likely.

Electricity, or the continuation of human civilization, is, IMO, the least of humankind's problems, IMO. What we are talking about, should a CME occur, while the Earth's magnetic field is weakened or in a state of reorganization?

magnetic-flelds-during-reversal.gif

I always watch with amusement, the heated discussions around the origins of humans, and those who don't believe in the "theory," of evolution. "Where are these transitional species," is always the question asked. Which is, after all, a good question. Folks that have studied evolution, would have heard of "punctuated evolution," but then? That leaves us with the question, what major event caused such widespread mutations in flora and fauna, creating mass spectacular evolutionary events, all at once, and then, a stabilization of the all species afterward? Leaving little, to no, "transitory," species in the fossil record? What could do that?

What indeed?

And? They always tend to happen, at somewhat regular intervals. :eusa_think:

Reviews of Geophysics
Review Article
Open Access

The Role of Geomagnetic Field Intensity in Late Quaternary Evolution of Humans and Large Mammals​

So. . . if "we," as a species survive, maybe those who do, will be a little less. . . well, combative, power hungry, and selfish. But who knows. It will probably be the elites in Deep Underground bases, and those up top that will evolve into something else?

:dunno:

Maybe, as HG Wells foresaw, we will branch into two different species? Perhaps the global elites have foreseen this for some time?

Human species 'may split in two'

Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said

SpaceX Says Dozens of Satellites Destroyed in Geomagnetic Storm​

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-10/spacex-says-dozens-of-satellites-destroyed-in-geomagnetic-storm#xj4y7vzkg

Magnetic reversal caused massive climate shifts​

Scientists link most recent magnetic instability to global environmental change.​

A country boy gonna survive though. :26:

Bring it, I say. We need to thin out the dumb anyway.

I swear. People can't even merge in traffic without causing a mile backup. Ever see what happens when two lanes have to merge into one? Ho lee sht. Too many people are just in too much of a hurry to go no place.

Yes, this will happen, it is only a matter of time. Will it take down the power grid? It depends on two factors, the strength of the CME, and the strength of the Earth's own magnetic field.

The direction of the CME is important, most will miss the Earth completely ... and even if the CME does hit, it has to be the correct phase angle or it won't have much of an effect ... just tripping breakers like in 1989 ...

These are not casual errors ... maybe you shouldn't be calling others ignorant in these matters ... it is a matter of fact that we didn't see a civilization-destroying CME event in the ten year period in question ... you disagree with this basic fact? ...

From NOAA's Space Weather Twitter feed

NOAA Space Weather
@NWSSWPC
·
1h

3-Day Forecast Issued 2022 Aug 18 1230 UTC:
The greatest expected 3 hr Kp for Aug 18-Aug 20 2022 is 7 (NOAA Scale G3).
S1 or greater: 10%, 10%, 10%. R1-R2: 40%, 40%, 40%.
R3 or greater: 10%, 10%, 10%.
https://go.usa.gov/xQg9R

That doesn't look like "most will miss the Earth completely".

The direction of the CME is important, most will miss the Earth completely ... and even if the CME does hit, it has to be the correct phase angle or it won't have much of an effect ... just tripping breakers like in 1989 ...

These are not casual errors ... maybe you shouldn't be calling others ignorant in these matters ... it is a matter of fact that we didn't see a civilization-destroying CME event in the ten year period in question ... you disagree with this basic fact? ...
Did you not state earlier CMEs do not have the potential to harm the power grid?

Who stated we did see a civilization destroying CME in the ten year period in question?

From NOAA's Space Weather Twitter feed

NOAA Space Weather
@NWSSWPC
·
1h

3-Day Forecast Issued 2022 Aug 18 1230 UTC:
The greatest expected 3 hr Kp for Aug 18-Aug 20 2022 is 7 (NOAA Scale G3).
S1 or greater: 10%, 10%, 10%. R1-R2: 40%, 40%, 40%.
R3 or greater: 10%, 10%, 10%.
https://go.usa.gov/xQg9R

That doesn't look like "most will miss the Earth completely".
He makes statements that he refuses to back up.

maybe you shouldn't be calling others ignorant in these matters

First? I never called you, or anyone in this thread, necessarily ignorant. However, while we are on that subject, I admit, I myself, am totally ignorant on this. I believe even the most educated and brilliant scientists on the planet are, this is an unknown, and anyone that tells you different is speaking from hubris.

We have only been a highly scientific and technologically propped up society for a little over a century, century and a half? To believe we know what the future holds, it is the ultimate in arrogance.

Seriously, get a grip man. Stop letting your insecurities dictate your position on this.

Our doom could very well, be just around the corner.

OTH, looking at the time scales I indicated in the paper on evolution, given the chances of what we are talking about here? It could be another half million years before this cataclysm hits. It just maybe, that this type of system instability, requires our planet or the sun, to be hit with a meteor or comet, there are still, many unknowns.

Did you not state earlier CMEs do not have the potential to harm the power grid?

Who stated we did see a civilization destroying CME in the ten year period in question?

No ... and it's your link that specified the catastrophic civilization destroying CME that kills 40% of the world's population ... your post # 46 ... my claim was that didn't happen in the ten year time span specified ... why do you disagree? ...

The CME in 1989 didn't damage anything ... the circuit breakers worked as design and Quebec only lost power for nine hours ... and this is a problem with conductivity of the bedrock there ... no one else had this problem, let alone experience any damage ...

We didn't have circuit breakers in 1854 ... see the difference? ... probably not ...

You think CMEs won’t do damage. Proof you’re uninformed.

First? I never called you, or anyone in this thread, necessarily ignorant.

Fuck you ... what part of :

"The next violation of common sense is damaged caused ... ships at sea aren't effected because they're grounded through the ocean water ... people, pets, homes, businesses, schools and hospitals are also grounded, so no effect ... what wasn't grounded in 1854?, telegraph wires ... and for the most part, these wires picked up enough charge to run without the operators spining the rheostats ... only in a few places were there fires or damage ... the system never went down ... operators were able to quickly install spare equipment ...

That was then and this is now ... today we have far more overhead wires and we have come to depend on these wires more than 170 years ago ... at least some of us have ... a good 20% of us don't even have an electric grid and no electricity in our homes or businesses ... 50% of us have such piss-poor service that we can't rely on the grid to begin with ... another 20% who have only recently received such modern invention and have yet to come to depend on the grid ...

That leaves the 10% in Anglo-America and Western Europe who would suffer ... [shrugs shoulders] ... hardly the existential threat some imagine this will be ... and with the 24 hour warning, really only Texas is stupid enough to not open their breakers and set everything to Earth ground ..."

do you think is "uninformed" ... and where the hell do I say CMEs are harmless? ... gipper doesn't know what a rheostat is, do you? ...

"The next violation of common sense is damaged caused ... ships at sea aren't effected because they're grounded through the ocean water ... people, pets, homes, businesses, schools and hospitals are also grounded, so no effect ... what wasn't grounded in 1854?, telegraph wires ... and for the most part, these wires picked up enough charge to run without the operators spining the rheostats ... only in a few places were there fires or damage ... the system never went down ... operators were able to quickly install spare equipment ...

That leaves the 10% in Anglo-America and Western Europe who would suffer ... [shrugs shoulders] ... hardly the existential threat some imagine this will be ... and with the 24 hour warning, really only Texas is stupid enough to not open their breakers and set everything to Earth ground ..."

do you think is "uninformed" ... and where the hell do I say CMEs are harmless? ... gipper doesn't know what a rheostat is, do you? ...

Apparently you’ve led a sheltered life.

I think you’ll find that most of China, Japan, and many other Asian nations depend on electricity. You’ll be surprised to learn that much of central and South America do too. How about India? Yes they too have access to electricity. This means the vast majority of humans on this planet depend on electricity.

This isn’t 1950. Most of the world is electrified now.
13% of Indian Households Still Don't Have Access to Grid-Connected Electricity: Survey - Mercom India

Last edited:

PS…a lot more people live in China and India than North Carolina. Just sayin’.

I feel like you a purposely ignoring what I am writing, and not addressing the elephant in the room.

What gipper and I are addressing, is not simply a CME. We are talking about the interaction of a CME, WITH a weakened global magnetic field.
There just might be other things at play here, than just CMEs. If it were just a CME, sure, like I said, we could count on the technology we have learned, I already admitted;
We had learned some valuable lessons from the Carrington Event, and the CME of 1989.
So? Why are you bringing up, "reostats?" Any event that is cataclysmic enough to affect our very genome, and alter our biological evolution, is certainly going to royally screw up society, and every technology not made of stone.

Solar storms can weaken Earth's magnetic field​

Study suggests way to predict future storms​

Habitability and the Evolution of Life Under Our Magnetic Shield​

Earth’s global magnetic field likely dates back billions of years and is a barrier against cosmic radiation. What roles has it played in the planet’s biosphere?

Revisiting the Biological Ramifications of Variations in Earth's Magnetic Field​

Do you deny that Mars might have once had an internal dynamo? Might it have had an atmosphere, or possibly even cellular life?

And if that dynamo shut down, what would be the one thing that would seriously blow that atmosphere into space? Killing any life it might have had?

That Weird, Aurora-Like Phenomenon Called STEVE Finally Has an Explanation​

vvBJa6JiLGj2ba2YiAo8ak-970-80.jpg.webp

Forum List

Back