Zone1 It's Not the Vertical Lines That Get You, It's The Horizontal Lines That Get You!

jackflash

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2020
USA
When driving a vehicle keep an eye open for horizontal lines off BOTH sides of the road. If one sees vertical lines it's either foliage or it's man made. If it's a horizontal line then it's either a cross fence(wooden) or it's a living creature. I've had so many close calls with creature/vehicle collisions ESPECIALLY @ dusk/dawn & also foggy weather conditions that I have adapted to a modified defensive driving mentality, like 5/10 mph under the speed limit in weather that impedes my vision, & also during night time driving on the back roads & freeways/highways. I also beep my horn about every 15 seconds or so which will anchor most 'wild' life in their tracks. I have developed a very keen eye for the off road horizontal lines if for nothing else front end & windshield/radiator repair$! The vid below illustrates what can happen so freaking fast even on a bright sunny afternoon with unlimited visibility on a reasonably flat landscape no less!

Video was 50 seconds too long. Also, there was not enough gore. I wanted meat paste on the highway.
See if there's enough action in the below vid 4 U. The Akrobat Deer(also known as Super-Doe) which can leap over tall vehicles with one bound makes several appearances in this vid!

I watched the road ahead and saw it coming. The driver only had two seconds lead time.
Spot on! I did not even spot her until she was just about to the pavement like that one was definitely in the fassst lane! Ya gotta admit that she was picking 'em up & putting 'em down pretty well!

I've had so many close calls it's ridiculous. Out here in the national forest the deer are thick. Pretty good at spotting them by now.

When driving a vehicle keep an eye open for horizontal lines off BOTH sides of the road. If one sees vertical lines it's either foliage or it's man made. If it's a horizontal line then it's either a cross fence(wooden) or it's a living creature. I've had so many close calls with creature/vehicle collisions ESPECIALLY @ dusk/dawn & also foggy weather conditions that I have adapted to a modified defensive driving mentality, like 5/10 mph under the speed limit in weather that impedes my vision, & also during night time driving on the back roads & freeways/highways. I also beep my horn about every 15 seconds or so which will anchor most 'wild' life in their tracks. I have developed a very keen eye for the off road horizontal lines if for nothing else front end & windshield/radiator repair$! The vid below illustrates what can happen so freaking fast even on a bright sunny afternoon with unlimited visibility on a reasonably flat landscape no less!

It looks like animation.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid these things are. I've hit three already, and I've only had my drivers license for two years! That's what I get for living in the woodlands.
That many hits means there's something wrong with you. Texting and driving?

Does it wreck the vehicle?

Yes and no. One time My friend was driving, and we hit a buck. Came through the windshield and hit me, and crumpled the front end of the car. That one was totaled. The other time I hit a deer was with a truck, and it just went under and nothing happened. The third time, it came out of nowhere and clapped my front bumper. I had to replace the bumper, a fender, and a headlight.

I mount a samurai sword over each head light and one center grill when traveling through national park areas,
no problems since then. Just need to make sure the wiper fluid is full.

No, living in the middle of nowhere, driving to work at night during peak rut season in Kentucky and Pennsylvania does that.
I live at the edge of a national forest. By now I've seen thousands of deer off the side of the road and a hundred pass in front of me. Never hit one in twenty-two years. I always see them coming.

I live at the edge of a national forest. By now I've seen thousands of deer off the side of the road and a hundred pass in front of me. Never hit one in twenty-two years. I always see them coming.

Do you drive at night during peak rut in the Mountainous forests of eastern Kentucky? I do. I gotta work.

And National Forest is cute, when where I lived it was forest for a couple hundred miles, broken up by tiny hamlet towns in the mountainsides. Twisty roads, no light, and woods and deer as thick as fleas.

Do you drive at night during peak rut in the Mountainous forests of eastern Kentucky? I do. I gotta work.

And National Forest is cute, when where I lived it was forest for a couple hundred miles, broken up by tiny hamlet towns in the mountainsides. Twisty roads, no light, and woods and deer as thick as fleas.
I'm a home builder. Daylight finds me standing at the job site. I leave in the dark just about every day of the year.

LOL....One morning I took off work at 0430 with the intent to go deer hunting. I had everything in the truck ready to go.

I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the prison's access road and a herd of about 15 deer start crossing in front of me so I stop and wait....Boom!....One of them going full tilt hits the front wheel of the truck.

I get out to see if there was any damage and there's a little button buck laying there with it's neck snapped. No damage to the truck.

I made sure it was dead then tossed it in the back of the truck and took it home and dressed it out.
It was good eating....We had fresh backstrap for breakfast. :)

Forum List

Back