It's about time this happened!

Should have happened long ago
It did...

"State Department of Social Services spokeswoman Karen Wingo said the requirement for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is not a new one, but was suspended during the recession and ensuing economic recovery. “A number of states applied for a waiver,” she told South Carolina Radio Network. “But as the economy began to rebound, most states that were operating previously under a federal waiver no longer qualified. South Carolina is one of those.”"

• Banned

Actually, it did but waivers were allowed due to the declining economy. Since, according to the Obama administration, the economy is doing better, the federal waivers were stopped in states that no longer qualified for them. South Carolina was one of those states.

• Banned
It did...

"State Department of Social Services spokeswoman Karen Wingo said the requirement for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is not a new one, but was suspended during the recession and ensuing economic recovery. “A number of states applied for a waiver,” she told South Carolina Radio Network. “But as the economy began to rebound, most states that were operating previously under a federal waiver no longer qualified. South Carolina is one of those.”"

The waivers should have been stopped a long time ago.

It did...

Yes it did. As the OP link said the rule had been suspended during the recession.

Actually, it did but waivers were allowed due to the declining economy. Since, according to the Obama administration, the economy is doing better, the federal waivers were stopped in states that no longer qualified for them. South Carolina was one of those states.

It should have happened regardless, there is nothing wrong with people working for benefits regardless of the economy, it's not like they were going to find employment

It should have happened regardless, there is nothing wrong with people working for benefits regardless of the economy, it's not like they were going to find employment

I wasn't sure whether you were aware of that requirement having been in place prior to declining economy.

I wasn't sure whether you were aware of that requirement having been in place prior to declining economy.

Yeah I was but again there is nothing wrong with people working for benefits.

Well, if having children is the ticket to getting food stamps, then that is what the poor will do. This changes nothing, may even make it worse.

I would go a step further and say that all transfer type social welfare programs should be done away with on the national level and, according to the 10th Amendment, if they are to be done, be done on the State level. I'm not opposed to helping those who truly need it and can't work. I also don't have a problem with someone who is able bodied and can work doing without because they don't want to work.

What was done leaves too many outs, though. One of the exemptions is people with mental issues. While I understand there are legitimate mental issues, I'm concerned that even the most simple thing could be used to provide an exemption where it really shouldn't occur.

I would go a step further and say that all transfer type social welfare programs should be done away with on the national level and, according to the 10th Amendment, if they are to be done, be done on the State level. I'm not opposed to helping those who truly need it and can't work. I also don't have a problem with someone who is able bodied and can work doing without because they don't want to work.

What was done leaves too many outs, though. One of the exemptions is people with mental issues. While I understand there are legitimate mental issues, I'm concerned that even the most simple thing could be used to provide an exemption where it really shouldn't occur.

Our Church has an Outreach Program for the less fortunate, there are a lot of people gaming the system

Our Church has an Outreach Program for the less fortunate, there are a lot of people gaming the system

We have similar things. While we realize that we have been gamed, we make the effort to avoid knowingly being taken. Several years ago, a mother called around Christmas time asking for help for her children. She said her son wanted a flat screen TV and a gaming system. We informed her that those types of things weren't part of what we were trying to do and asked her about meeting needs. She quickly informed us that she already had those types of things taken care of from other entities.

Liberals don't like churches and private charities, but would prefer the government be in charge of charitable functions.

Forum List

Back