It is only a few after all, right?

Jesus, you cons sound like a bunch of babys.

Mommy, mommy - some immigrant isn't following our culture mores - why should I have to follow theirs, in their country?.

This is the kind of lame crap I hear out of the mouths of ten year olds.

At any rate, in my experience, most immigrants here try to follow our cultural mores in public. They try. I'm sure they make a lot of mistakes. I'm sure I make inadvertant mistakes in other countries, that could offend local costumes.

Adults simply apologize for their inadvertant mistake and move on.

Cons cry and whine that we shouldn't have to respect local traditions, if some immigrant here doesn't follow ours.

Childish

Wrong, I've traveled abroad and have always been respectful. My argument is why we have to be respectful and tolerant when they aren't. Immigrants entering this country should be tolerant of our culture, not hiding behind the aclu and using our constitution against us.

Seriously, such arguments diminish the people who make them. "mommy, he did it first". Who cares? If you comport yourself respectfully, people generally respond in kind. No, not all, there are always a**holes in the world. They deserve our derision. But entire groups of people? Not so, as long as they aren't doing anything that hurts anyone else.

My point, quite simply, is that when you're a guest in someone's home, you act polite. Not that difficult to apologize for being rude, even if it's inadvertant, as Grump said. It isn't that big a deal.

As for the ACLU and Constitution argument. Yeah, freedom of speech sucks, doesn't it? *rolls eyes*

Any polite person would apologise for accidentally offending people or a religion. Nothing wrong with that.

You walk along the same street every day. One day a piece of wire lays across the footpath, you don't see it, you trip and fall into somebody else. Not your fault per se. You didn't mean to fall into that person. It was not a purposeful act. Do you get up and carry on walking as if nothing happened, or do you apologise even if it isn't your fault?

For your analogy to work you need to add a few things. Like the cops arrest you for falling, the Judiciary and Government threaten to hold you for 6 months, fine you an undefined amount of money, your employer fires you and the Court will have you beaten to a bloody pulp. All for falling down.

Seriously, such arguments diminish the people who make them. "mommy, he did it first". Who cares? If you comport yourself respectfully, people generally respond in kind. No, not all, there are always a**holes in the world. They deserve our derision. But entire groups of people? Not so, as long as they aren't doing anything that hurts anyone else.

My point, quite simply, is that when you're a guest in someone's home, you act polite. Not that difficult to apologize for being rude, even if it's inadvertant, as Grump said. It isn't that big a deal.

As for the ACLU and Constitution argument. Yeah, freedom of speech sucks, doesn't it? *rolls eyes*

No freedom of speech doesn't suck but Ill take that little barb as sarcasm. Still my argument stands, if were to be tolerant why not hold other countrys to the same degree of standards rather than appeasing and giving in so easily.

Yet she is in prison and will be tried by a law that DOES in fact forbid her from naming the teddy bear that name. Sure thing, bury that head even deeper in that hole. Maybe you can get deep enough your ass wont be hanging out for them to find you.

And we here in America will sentence someone to jail for a year for smoking a joint, we execute minors and mentally ill people, and people have been sent to jail for life for stealing a slice of pizza.

Oh wait...thats all ok, cause its us, right?

Agreed.. also Christians are not flying planes into buildings and killing innocent people.. Islamic followers are..

Islamic followers are the least tolerant people on this planet and we have to be tolerant of them? Why?

So you don't like someone because of X...and you think that gives you justification to also do X? Brilliant logic there. Flawless, really.

Wrong, I've traveled abroad and have always been respectful. My argument is why we have to be respectful and tolerant when they aren't. Immigrants entering this country should be tolerant of our culture, not hiding behind the aclu and using our constitution against us.

You are aware that Sudan is a part of Africa, and not a US state, correct?

And immigrants coming to the US get all the benefits of our culture, as well as the bad things.

Ahhh....Gumby and Dumbo....sadly, they just don't get it..

So WE should build foot washers in our schools and be tolerant ?

So WE should let some that want the privledge of driving, take their photo
ID pictures with hoods on so only their eyes show?

So WE should accommodate special breaks in our school day so some can pray?

So WE must allow religious dress for some, in our public schools, while banning religious jewelry
or dress for others?

So WE should allow in-state tuition for illegals while US citizens from a neighboring state pay more?

So WE must provide public education in multiple languages for the benefit on immigrants ?

So WE must hire people that refuse to do the work expected because it goes against their customs or religion?

So WE must give non-citizen law breakers the rights and privileges of citizens?

So think the dwellers in Land of the Demented...:cuckoo:

You are aware that Sudan is a part of Africa, and not a US state, correct?

And immigrants coming to the US get all the benefits of our culture, as well as the bad things.

Thanks for the insult but am quite aware that Sudan sits in Africa and prides itself to a large degree on sharia law. But let's not mention the extremist muslims in Africa resposible for the mass slayings of black christians there.

Thanks for the insult but am quite aware that Sudan sits in Africa and prides itself to a large degree on sharia law. But let's not mention the extremist muslims in Africa resposible for the mass slayings of black christians there.

Killing Jews and Christians is no problem, but by damn you better not insult a Muslim.

Not at all. The alamo is basically a pile of old adobe and bricks. If you weren't culturally sensitized to the cultural significance of the alamo, you might take a pee on it too (be honest men, we've all pee'd in public).

Don't worry, no one will stone you to death or cut off your head, or even your little dick for pissing on the Alamo....but don't piss on a plastic statue of Mohammad in Iran, even by accident......things could turn ugly....

Its totally comman to make mistakes, if one is unfamiliar with local culture. Its just COMMON MANNERS to apologize for inadvertently offending anyone. Where were you bush voters raised? In a barn?

I think this Sudanese officials are idiots and are over reacting. But, this thread was just another in a long line of strawmen RSG has posted, painting all muslims as boogeymen. Its no wonder american muslims have deserted the GOP in droves. Its not just RSG that does it.

Bottom line: this women will never be convicted or beaten. Bank on it. And most muslims will realize that her mistake was entirely inadvertent. An apology on her part is just common courtesy, for those who were raised properly.

----

Ahhh....Gumby and Dumbo....sadly, they just don't get it..

So WE should build foot washers in our schools and be tolerant ?

So WE should let some that want the privledge of driving, take their photo
ID pictures with hoods on so only their eyes show?

So WE should accommodate special breaks in our school day so some can pray?

So WE must allow religious dress for some, in our public schools, while banning religious jewelry
or dress for others?

So WE should allow in-state tuition for illegals while US citizens from a neighboring state pay more?

So WE must provide public education in multiple languages for the benefit on immigrants ?

So WE must hire people that refuse to do the work expected because it goes against their customs or religion?

So WE must give non-citizen law breakers the rights and privileges of citizens?

So think the dwellers in Land of the Demented...:cuckoo:

EXACTLY!

You don't travel, or get outside of the US much, do you.

People make mistakes all the time, if they're not aware of local cultural traditions. Ozzy Osbourne was arrested for being drunk and taking a piss on the Alamo in San Antonio. As a Brit, he didn't know the significance of the alamo. He was actually convicted. The outrage of texans was palpable. But, in my view, a simple apology from him to the citizens of san antonio, saying he wasn't aware of the cultural significance of the alamo, would have been sufficient.

Granted, a Westerner ought to know that it is illegal to urinate in public. I think that is pretty standard accross the Western world, so there's not much of a cultural divide over the basic premise.

Thanks for the insult but am quite aware that Sudan sits in Africa and prides itself to a large degree on sharia law.

Oh I see, you were just saying a nonsequiter then. Alrighty.

But let's not mention the extremist muslims in Africa resposible for the mass slayings of black christians there.

And priests rape little boys. Not that either are relevant to this unless the point is to make vast, gross, incorrect generalizations about large groups of individuals.

Granted, a Westerner ought to know that it is illegal to urinate in public. I think that is pretty standard accross the Western world, so there's not much of a cultural divide over the basic premise.

Ozzy was banned from performing in SA for a decade for peeing on the alamo.

Do you know of any building in the United States where you would be banned from doing business in the city for a decade? No, you don't.

It wasn't about peeing on a building. That's a 50 dollar fine.

It was about pissing on a cherished cultural site, that most brits probably don't understand or are aware of.

been to Europe and seen the public urinals out in the open on public streets?

guess not.

Ozzy was banned from performing in SA for a decade for peeing on the alamo.

Do you know of any building in the United States where you would be banned from doing business in the city for a decade? No, you don't.

It wasn't about peeing on a building. That's a 50 dollar fine.

It was about pissing on a cherished cultural site, that most brits probably don't understand or are aware of.

He's lucky he got caught by the cops and not some good old boy or his illustrious noisemaking career may've come to a premature end. :evil:

No freedom of speech doesn't suck but Ill take that little barb as sarcasm. Still my argument stands, if were to be tolerant why not hold other countrys to the same degree of standards rather than appeasing and giving in so easily.

Only a little sarcasm. ;)

I understand your argument. Really. I just think NOT being respectful of others beliefs reflects more on us than on the beliefs we're being disrespectful to. I kind of think that if we think we're better then we need to elevate our behavior, not lower it in response to others' actions.

I've been reading this for a bit, haven't caught all. I wonder though, regardless of the 'ugly Americans' that go near and far, without learning the language, how many are demanding that the indigenous learn English or provide translations for them?' How many of those that do, expect to 'stay in those countries?'

Isn't that the real problem? Because they've 'chose to stay' and we've chosen not to stop them from doing just that, they feel free to say, "Accommodate us or you are xenophobes, racists, what have you."

It's not the fault of the illegals, rather it's been our own benign neglect in enforcement of the myriad of laws available, none of which we avail ourselves.

Forum List

Back