Israeli general sees common interests with Hamas

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014

JERUSALEM

Israel and Hamas share common interests, and the Palestinian Islamists must stay in power in the Gaza Strip to prevent the enclave descending into chaos, an Israeli general was quoted as saying on Tuesday.

Major-General Sami Turgeman, who as commander of Israel's forces outside Gaza had a leading role in last year's war with Hamas, cast the group in a pragmatic light in remarks reported in the top-selling Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth.

By doing so, he appeared to take a softer public line toward Hamas than Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has likened the movement to Islamic State insurgents sweeping Syria, Iraq and elsewhere in the region.

Speaking to the heads of Israeli villages on the Gaza periphery on Monday, Turgeman said Hamas seeks stability and "does not want global jihad" -- a term Israel uses to describe Islamic State, al Qaeda and their off-shoots.

"Israel and Hamas have shared interests, including in the current situation, which is quiet and calm and growth and prosperity," said the general

Israeli general says Hamas needed for Gaza stability The National

(I imagine they want to keep Hamas there as a reason to start a war with them every couple years)

JERUSALEM

Israel and Hamas share common interests, and the Palestinian Islamists must stay in power in the Gaza Strip to prevent the enclave descending into chaos, an Israeli general was quoted as saying on Tuesday.

Major-General Sami Turgeman, who as commander of Israel's forces outside Gaza had a leading role in last year's war with Hamas, cast the group in a pragmatic light in remarks reported in the top-selling Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth.

By doing so, he appeared to take a softer public line toward Hamas than Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has likened the movement to Islamic State insurgents sweeping Syria, Iraq and elsewhere in the region.

Speaking to the heads of Israeli villages on the Gaza periphery on Monday, Turgeman said Hamas seeks stability and "does not want global jihad" -- a term Israel uses to describe Islamic State, al Qaeda and their off-shoots.

"Israel and Hamas have shared interests, including in the current situation, which is quiet and calm and growth and prosperity," said the general

Israeli general says Hamas needed for Gaza stability The National

(I imagine they want to keep Hamas there as a reason to start a war with them every couple years)
I doubt it after reading this little missive.

For the first time, a Shiite Islamist movement has been operating in the Gaza Strip with full Iranian sponsorship, The Times of Israel has learned. The movement is named “A-Sabrin” — from the Arabic word for patience.

A-Sabrin runs several Shiite charity organizations, which benefit from full Iranian support and encourage the spread of Shiite Islam.

The presence of such a movement in the Gaza Strip is unheard-of, as is the fact that the Sunni Hamas movement – apparently due to the financial support it receives from Shiite Iran — has been tolerating its presence.

Hamas beholden to Iran lets Shiite group operate in Gaza The Times of Israel

I guess they can be taken off the terrorist list hey? Or Israel can be put on it !!

Nice try.

spoken by a general not me, must be two peas in a pod then.:D

So you are against any move that halts the ultra extremist IS from getting a foothold in Palestine from where they can strike into Europe very easily.

Forum List

Back