Islamic jihadists do extensive damage to ancient Christian sites

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
You are being redirected...

The Churches in America remain largely silent about all this, because they have been manipulated into thinking that it is “hateful” and “bigoted” to name the perpetrator in this instance. “Talk about extreme, militant Islamists and the atrocities that they have perpetrated globally might undercut the positive achievements that we Catholics have attained in our inter-religious dialogue with devout Muslims.” So said Robert McManus, Roman Catholic Bishop of Worcester, Massachusetts, on February 8, 2013, but Bishop McManus is just the tip of the iceberg. His point of view is shared by the vast majority of Christian clergy of all denominations in the U.S.

“Ancient Christian sites in Syria threatened,” by Martin Bailey, The Art Newspaper, May 28, 2014 (thanks to Persecution.org):

The Syrian government claims that there has been extensive damage to ancient Christian sites in Maaloula, a small town where Aramaic (the language of Jesus’s time) is still spoken. It lies 35 miles north-east of Damascus, at the base of mountains rising up from the desert. There has been extensive fighting around Maaloula since last September and in April president Assad’s government forces regained control from the rebels.

Earlier this month, the Syrian directorate general of antiquities and museums published a report of a mission to Maaloula. It is difficult to verify their claims, and it is not clear who inflicted the damage, but the survey presents disturbing evidence of destruction. Many of the rebels are unsympathetic towards the country’s Christian minority. Although the government report accuses rebels of looting religious artifacts, it is possible that some may have been removed to safety.

The Greek Catholic monastery above the town, dedicated to Saints Sergius and Bacchus (Mar Sarkis and Bakhos), dates back to the fourth century AD. It is one of the world’s oldest churches and was built on the foundations of an earlier pagan temple.

----------------------------------------------------------

I do not know about you, but I am blaming George Bush for this. Of course Israel too. Of course.

Both sickening events. But Obama cannot touch Syria, why please remind me?

Forum List

Back