Is Wind Power on par with Fossil Fuels?

Who in their right mind would be against electricity from wind turbines? Or sunlight? WTF is this sucking-at-the-teet clinging that right wingers do with oil? They're like children that refuse to be weaned.

I'm not against it at all I'm just sick and tired of people lying about it.

Be honest and I'll agree but overstate and lie and I'll tell you you're full of shit

Cost effective my ass... Jesus dude take your camper and drive through Texas and see the huge wind mill farms for yourself. I am neutral on this subject because I know it has it's place, besides it provides good paying jobs, to manufacture and maintain.

Actually it provides jobs paid for by government subsidies....not actual money paid to employees as a result of running a profitable business. Like I said, you lefties don't know jack about the real world.
lefty I think not, I don't see much different then like government military contracts, you we're posting like they were tiny, When I seen those wind farms first hand and they are huge.

http://awea.files.cms-plus.com/FileDownloads/pdfs/texas.pdf

Wind Projects
• Installed wind capacity: 14,208 MW
• State rank for installed wind capacity: 1st
• Number of wind turbines: 8,646
• State rank for number of wind turbines: 2nd
• Wind projects online: 101
• Wind capacity under construction: 7,805 MW
Current Wind Generation
In 2014, wind energy provided 9.00% of all in-state electricity production.
• Equivalent number of homes powered by wind: 3.6 million
Wind Generation Potential
Wind power is capable of meeting more than eighteen times the state’s current electricity
needs.
• Land based wind potential at 80 meters (m) hub height: 1,901,530 MW (source:
National Renewable Energy Laboratory)
Environmental Benefits
Generating wind power creates no emissions and uses virtually no water.
• Annual state water consumption savings: 13.1 billion gallons
• Equivalent number of water bottles saved: 99.3 billion
• Annual state carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions avoided: 25.1 million metric tons

Damn those ultra-liberal Texans.

http://awea.files.cms-plus.com/FileDownloads/pdfs/texas.pdf

Wind Projects
• Installed wind capacity: 14,208 MW
• State rank for installed wind capacity: 1st
• Number of wind turbines: 8,646
• State rank for number of wind turbines: 2nd
• Wind projects online: 101
• Wind capacity under construction: 7,805 MW
Current Wind Generation
In 2014, wind energy provided 9.00% of all in-state electricity production.
• Equivalent number of homes powered by wind: 3.6 million
Wind Generation Potential
Wind power is capable of meeting more than eighteen times the state’s current electricity
needs.
• Land based wind potential at 80 meters (m) hub height: 1,901,530 MW (source:
National Renewable Energy Laboratory)
Environmental Benefits
Generating wind power creates no emissions and uses virtually no water.
• Annual state water consumption savings: 13.1 billion gallons
• Equivalent number of water bottles saved: 99.3 billion
• Annual state carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions avoided: 25.1 million metric tons

Damn those ultra-liberal Texans.

Now multiply the installed capacity by .27 to get the actual production.

Why can't you just be honest about the reality of wind power?

The problem with any renewables are two fold.

One....they are an unreliable power source.

Two....it is extremely difficult to store electric power until needed and also very expensive. Electric power can be stored as kinetic energy (pump storage) or thermal energy. The problem: you lose a great deal of energy in the conversion and it is not cost effective. As a result, until the laws of physics change or a breakthrough technology develops....renewables will be a minor adjunct to the power grid.

lefty I think not, I don't see much different then like government military contracts, you we're posting like they were tiny, When I seen those wind farms first hand and they are huge.

They are tiny...just because a thing covers a lot of area doesn't mean that it is big....a reactor which has a very small footprint is orders of magnitude larger than a wind farm in both productive capacity and reliability. Again...little understanding of the real world. Wind is pie in the sky dreaming if you see it as anything more than a strictly small application.

Who in their right mind would be against electricity from wind turbines? Or sunlight? WTF is this sucking-at-the-teet clinging that right wingers do with oil? They're like children that refuse to be weaned.

Say Issac --- Ever SEEN what a wind farm actually produces?? Doesn't sound like you have. The chart below is from a well-sited offshore Danish wind farm..

1551-1310094595-50dc85f6e51597ec889177664ceb7802.jpg

Before you start accusing of teet-clinging -- MAYBE you ought to look at what WIND actually PRODUCES and why it is NOT simply "an alternative" to providing reliable electricity..

How does THAT replace a nat gas plant?

The RATED capacity of that wind field is the 400,000 mark on the chart. You had to buy FOUR TIMES the capacity you need -- just to "average" 100,000. And the grid don't run on "averages"....

The ACTUAL teet-clingers are the juvenile leftists who have been brainwashed to believe that wind and solar are actually alternatives. Capable of powering the grid just like we do today without blackouts or interruptions.

BTW -- Another Sesame Street misunderstanding of the leftists whining about "alternatives" is they think OIL has ANYTHING much to do with generating electricity. By far, it does not. But energy is energy to the teet-suckers eh??

Last edited:

Say Issac --- Ever SEEN what a wind farm actually produces?? Doesn't sound like you have. The chart below is from a well-sited offshore Danish wind farm..

Before you start accusing of teet-clinging -- MAYBE you ought to look at what WIND actually PRODUCES and why it is NOT simply "an alternative" to providing reliable electricity..

The RATED capacity of that wind field is the 400,000 mark on the chart. You had to buy FOUR TIMES the capacity you need -- just to "average" 100,000. And the grid don't run on "averages"....

The ACTUAL teet-clingers are the juvenile leftists who have been brainwashed to believe that wind and solar are actually alternatives. Capable of powering the grid just like we do today without blackouts or interruptions.

BTW -- Another Sesame Street misunderstanding of the leftists whining about "alternatives" is they think OIL has ANYTHING much to do with generating electricity. By far, it does not. But energy is energy to the teet-suckers eh??

It is so bizarre, you people that defend oil like you will be losing your favorite Koolaid drink. Which isn't far from the truth.

Conservatives and their Red Herring. It is a delicacy for cons. That and the Strawman.

I said why would anyone have a problem with wind energy. As if producing more energy with little environmental damage and producing no CO2 is bad.

You people are just weird.

The same with solar. Enough solar energy strikes the Earth in one day to power all of human civilization for 500 years.

Its a mute point. Global Warming is real and humans will be forced to stop using fossil fuels. Period. The science has been settled for 15 years. As usual human beings will only act when it is too late, only this time the consequences of not acting sooner will be devastating for the species. As well as for thousands of other species.

That aside, again who has a problem with generating electricity in how ever many ways it can be done? WTF is wrong with you dorks.

It is so bizarre, you people that defend oil like you will be losing your favorite Koolaid drink. Which isn't far from the truth.

Conservatives and their Red Herring. It is a delicacy for cons. That and the Strawman.

I said why would anyone have a problem with wind energy. As if producing more energy with little environmental damage and producing no CO2 is bad.

The same with solar. Enough solar energy strikes the Earth in one day to power all of human civilization for 500 years.

Its a mute point. Global Warming is real and humans will be forced to stop using fossil fuels. Period. The science has been settled for 15 years. As usual human beings will only act when it is too late, only this time the consequences of not acting sooner will be devastating for the species. As well as for thousands of other species.

That aside, again who has a problem with generating electricity in how ever many ways it can be done? WTF is wrong with you dorks.
Dude, perhaps you should learn how to read. Name one person here who stated anything near what you're moaning about. Just one. Holy crap, I'd like it if your side could actually debate a topic.

Good luck powering your car with an attached solar panel. :( Sorry....you're an idiot. Nothing has the energy density of hydrocarbons except nuclear.....and it's pretty tough to have an on-board reactor. :lol:

Libs don't understand the most basic science....hence, the problem.

Renewables are not as cost effective, efficient, or reliable as existing hydrocarbon technology. Until those issues are solved your points are frankly stupid.

Just told you that oil has almost NOTHING to do with generating electricity. Yet you lead your post with the faulty analysis of why I'm a dork and koolaid drinker and repeat OIL. Explained to you with a graph that the wind is there for 20 minutes and then gone for an hour. Do I have to also mention that the sun is only efficient for solar about 6 hours a day? And that only about 30% of the land by climate is APPROPRIATE for investments in solar?

Nothing wrong with me.. I've got a handle on the fact that wind and solar are merely SUPPLEMENTS and not alternatives. Certainly NOT an alternative to Oil....

Last edited:

One question, what happened to the company Solyndra?

The Netherlands.

aka "Holland".

The country of which everybody thinks in terms of windmills and tulips.

At least the tulip part is still valid.....

http://www.economist.com/news/europ...powered-netherlands-not-anymore-dutch-quixote

OTH -- Wind for pumping water (a perennial Dutch problem) is a good solution. Just can't leap from that off-grid application to $$Bill of Euros for putting them on grid because the EU says so. Article says that folks tend to learn to live with noise and shadowing after awhile. That's contrary to folks being oversold on the green-ness of it all and discovering the sun is blocked every 40 seconds during mornings and afternoons into their living rooms and they need noise cancelling headphones to work the garden tulips..

Good luck powering your car with an attached solar panel. :( Sorry....you're an idiot. Nothing has the energy density of hydrocarbons except nuclear.....and it's pretty tough to have an on-board reactor. :lol:

You are breaking my heart....Are you telling me that I am never going to be able to switch my car from coal to a Mr. Fusion?....and I was so looking forward to driving around powered by banana peels and peach pits.

Mr_Fusion_by_emmokapp.jpg

I think we have a CONSENSUS... Wind/solar are not reliable, efficient, or cost effective... Take away their subsidies and charge them for the coal fired plats idle time and the cost is running $0.32 Cents Per Kwh. A far cry from the $0.04-$0.09 Cents Per Kwh they have been touting..

Last edited:
And how much does your coal fired plant cost when you figure in the few hundred trillion it will cost to deal with the global warming they cause?

Forum List

Back