Is USA to loose its global dominance to China?

Is there some sort of limit on total worldwide GDP that you are not telling us about?

In essence there is. Worldwide GDP is limited by the planet's ability to sustain it.
For instance, China's 'great leap forward' has been a major cause of the recent hike in oil prices. Higher oil prices will certainly reduce living standards for most of us and will also have longer term effects on any country's GDP. So in that sense China's growth would negatively affect us. The question is whether or not all those cheap goods they produce for us will make up the difference.

In essence there is. Worldwide GDP is limited by the planet's ability to sustain it.
For instance, China's 'great leap forward' has been a major cause of the recent hike in oil prices. Higher oil prices will certainly reduce living standards for most of us and will also have longer term effects on any country's GDP. So in that sense China's growth would negatively affect us. The question is whether or not all those cheap goods they produce for us will make up the difference.
So oil is the only way to increase GDP? What about computers, bottled water, iPods and The Next Big Thing?

So oil is the only way to increase GDP?

Where did I say that?
I said oil prices had an effect on GDP, and a far greater effect on living standards. And until someone comes up with something better, it will stay as the bedrock of our 'civilisation'. After all without oil, we wouldn't have any computers, ipods or next best things.

Where did I say that?
I said oil prices had an effect on GDP, and a far greater effect on living standards. And until someone comes up with something better, it will stay as the bedrock of our 'civilisation'. After all without oil, we wouldn't have any computers, ipods or next best things.
What you said quite plainly was "Worldwide GDP is limited by the planet's ability to sustain it.", then mentioned oil.

I disagree with your premise. I don't see any limit to wealth creation (GDP) or resources required. In fact, I can only think of one or two resources that I consider limited.

Before China takes over any part of the world economy ...India will stop the Dragon right on its tracks. Beijing is pissing off India big time. First their claims on our territory and then the satellite killer test. Then they build reactors for Pakistan.

They think that the world will collapse if their economy is harmed.
Yes , they do have huge trades with the U.S and Beijing thinks that it can "blackmail" and do whatever it wants and get away with it. Just because the U.S-China trade is billions they think they can use that as a bargaining tool.Thats why I have stated in one of my previous posts that India getting a permanent seat in the S.C can work wonders. India can be a much better and bigger trading partner for the U.S then China. Once we sort out our issues Indo-U.S trade will be better for our economies as well as the U.S and for the world economy in general.Just because the U.S-China trade is billions they think they can use that as a bargaining tool. The "MADE IN CHINA" tag is on most of the products these days but the quality is shit. The CHinese economy works on this principle:More quantity cheap quality.

..... The "MADE IN CHINA" tag is on most of the products these days but the quality is shit. The CHinese economy works on this principle:More quantity cheap quality.
Interesting perspecitive on the first part of this post but you are dead wrong on this last part. The Chinese manufacturers are basically "jobbers" who work with American and other foreign tecnologists to mimic the processes used elsewhere. They also react quickly to consumer feedback, and will dump literally tons of inferior goods if there are problems, retool, then make it right. As a result their quality is very good.

You may have a different perspective on quality, as Americans are typically satisfied with products that are inexpensive, perform well and last, and are not willing to pay twice as much or more for something that is "hand crafted" or only marginally better.

China is growing up very quickly.

But the life level, the wellfare, is very very lower than in USA, France, Germany, Japan and UK, the other biggest mights.

Maybe they have a good growth and economy, and they are very competitive, but the chinese population is not at the same level.

the problem is that the Chinese seem to be according with this, they work for the might of their country.

As Napoleon said, "when China will wake up, the world will tremble".

I think china has a arsenal of nuclear weapons pointed right at you
purchased with your money

Nukes -schmukes-----all they have to do is yell " BOOOO " and they can go anywhere they want. They can out-diplomacy us any day of the week and we all know how well our country supports any military options.

Nukes -schmukes-----al they have to do is yell " BOOOO " and they can go anywhere they want. They can out-diplomcy us any day of the week and we all know how well our country supports any military options.

Yea, thats no shit!

This country left its ball's in the safe keeping of our leaders, bad mistake.

Only after its realized, that its TOO LATE, will our leaders pull their collective lips from around the dicks of those, that wish to kill us, and start acting like Americans of the past.

Too bad.:eusa_hand:

I mean, look at the people who have stepped up, and told us they wish to seek the highest office of the land. Would anyone here follow any of those fools ACROSS THE STREET? I sure wouldn't.

No chance! China's GDP is approaching that of Germany's. In order to pass USA's it would have to at least quadruple from that. Even for China that would be physically impossible in the space of 5 years.

I'm quoting myself to admit that apparently I may be wrong: If you look at purchasing power in the country in question, then it appears that China's GDP is now around 10 Trillion dollars, slightly behind both the US's and the EU's (at around 13 Trillion). So, it does seem like China is about to steam ahead of us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

However if you take the 'nominal' GDP then China still has a long way to go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

I suppose it just depends what you mean by GDP.

Forum List

Back