Is this true? You make the call.

HereinVirginia

Jun 6, 2020
I listened to a lawyer speak and this is what he said....

If a city demolishes a police force, the city falls under the jurisdiction of the County Sheriff. If the state police are demolished it’s the same thing, but they are entire state. So, each city, each demolition must equal this....Each county Sheriff then has 100% jurisdiction over the whole county.

A Sheriff is elected by the county, not the state or appointed in any way.

If true, what now?

If a city demolishes a police force, the city falls under the jurisdiction of the County Sheriff. If the state police are demolished it’s the same thing, but they are entire state. So, each city, each demolition must equal this....Each county Sheriff then has 100% jurisdiction over the whole county.

If true, what now?
That would depend on the laws of that state.

If true, what now?
It is not true. This really stupid lawyer knows that some communities have disbanded their own police forces to contract with the county sheriff to provide those services. Absent a contract and money changing hands, the sheriff has no obligation to show up. They won't.

If true, what now?
:eusa_doh:
No one is trying to eliminate the police altogether, dope.

If true, what now?

That's probably how it worked for most of our history so it doesn't surprise me we have a contingency plan in law

Buttttt i'm sure there is a way for lawyers to get around that

Easy to imagine cities dissolving PDs on the frontier constantly, small towns die as well even today

If true, what now?
It is not true. This really stupid lawyer knows that some communities have disbanded their own police forces to contract with the county sheriff to provide those services. Absent a contract and money changing hands, the sheriff has no obligation to show up. They won't.
I understand that point. But, if there were never city police, it would be the Sheriff, county will then supercede city. Make sense but I’m not sure.

If true, what now?
its just a way of looking at things, could have fooled me if the cry is defund and dismantle. But those mean something else. Unclear if half say do it and half say no that’s not true. I’d know if they didn’t yell so damn much at everybody.

If true, what now?
I understand that point. But, if there were never city police, it would be the Sheriff, county will then supercede city. Make sense but I’m not sure.

If true, what now?
its just a way of looking at things, could have fooled me if the cry is defund and dismantle. But those mean something else. Unclear if half say do it and half say no that’s not true. I’d know if they didn’t yell so damn much at everybody.
Use your own brain. Common sense should tell you that no major city could eliminate their police forces.
They're considering disbanding the existing police force to eliminate the unions as their contracts make any serious reform almost impossible and rebuild from there.

If true, what now?
You're a liar 8 days a week.

If true, what now?
Jeez i asked a question without promoting anything. Y’all are loco.

If true, what now?

Two examples for you from the Keystone State.

Southeastern York County encompasses a massive area of farmland, the western bank of the Susquehanna River, forested valleys and a nuclear power plant. The southernmost region of this area known as Delta is and has been known for its meth and marijuana lawlessness and yet none of the small townships, boroughs or blink and you miss them communities have their own police departments. We're talking an area without community policing that is some forty plus miles north to south and at least twenty-five miles east to west. Technically, in the south-central corridor of York county they've got a regional police department, Southern Regional, but those guys do not patrol the lawless southeastern slice of the county. So law enforcement for the that area falls back on PA State Police whose nearest barracks is some twenty miles distant, depending on how many winding back roads you're willing to brave. In effect, this southeastern meth and pot wild west side of the county has no police departments and state cop response times must be quite high, although they do position troopers down there around the Maryland line in Delta on a semi-regular basis. Other than that, there's also the York County Sheriffs Department, but those guys really only serve warrants, they do not do patrol work and they're based in York City, up to thirty plus miles from Delta. Thus the legendary lawlessness of the area lives on . . . go River People (not).

Also in the same state is Jefferson, PA where my maternal grandparents first owned their farm and then after selling it off, moved into the small town itself. Jefferson is a place isolated from much of the rest of county by winding back roads, deep valleys and small rivers. To the best of my knowledge it's never had it's own police force. What I do know is the State Police are responsible for responding to emergency calls out there and they are based some twenty miles from the town at least. Some years back the only bank in Jefferson was robbed several times and in every case the robbers had plenty of time to get away, like over half an hour, before the state cops arrived. And Jefferson is a micro-town really. I don't know what its population is now but back then it could not have been much above one thousands souls.

So, if a small county town like Jefferson, PA suffers crime waves in the absence of a township police department imagine what a Baltimore-sized city will experience? Further, and it's fair to say I know jack about Minnesota Law Enforcement or state law, I highly doubt either the state police out there or county sheriffs department will be patrolling ghettos or many other inner city neighborhoods. In my own experience state police units tasked to a given region are highly limited already in the number of active troopers per patrol shift.

If true, what now?
Jeez i asked a question without promoting anything. Y’all are loco.
He was quoting faggot Hutch, not you.

The quote chain takes a little getting used to here.

I'm interested in what Minneapolis new "transformative model of public safety" will be and whether it will work.

If it does work it will potentially undermine the existing policing and prison industries....

So you can bet your ass that the existing policing and prison industries will do everything they can to make sure that it does not work!

If true, what now?

If true, what now?
Use your own brain. Common sense should tell you that no major city could eliminate their police forces.
They're considering disbanding the existing police force to eliminate the unions as their contracts make any serious reform almost impossible and rebuild from there.
So what happens in between now and when the unicorn and lollipop patrol get on the job?

If true, what now?

Southeastern York County encompasses a massive area of farmland, the western bank of the Susquehanna River, forested valleys and a nuclear power plant. The southernmost region of this area known as Delta is and has been known for its meth and marijuana lawlessness and yet none of the small townships, boroughs or blink and you miss them communities have their own police departments. We're talking an area without community policing that is some forty plus miles north to south and at least twenty-five miles east to west. Technically, in the south-central corridor of York county they've got a regional police department, Southern Regional, but those guys do not patrol the lawless southeastern slice of the county. So law enforcement for the that area falls back on PA State Police whose nearest barracks is some twenty miles distant, depending on how many winding back roads you're willing to brave. In effect, this southeastern meth and pot wild west side of the county has no police departments and state cop response times must be quite high, although they do position troopers down there around the Maryland line in Delta on a semi-regular basis. Other than that, there's also the York County Sheriffs Department, but those guys really only serve warrants, they do not do patrol work and they're based in York City, up to thirty plus miles from Delta. Thus the legendary lawlessness of the area lives on . . . go River People (not).

Also in the same state is Jefferson, PA where my maternal grandparents first owned their farm and then after selling it off, moved into the small town itself. Jefferson is a place isolated from much of the rest of county by winding back roads, deep valleys and small rivers. To the best of my knowledge it's never had it's own police force. What I do know is the State Police are responsible for responding to emergency calls out there and they are based some twenty miles from the town at least. Some years back the only bank in Jefferson was robbed several times and in every case the robbers had plenty of time to get away, like over half an hour, before the state cops arrived. And Jefferson is a micro-town really. I don't know what its population is now but back then it could not have been much above one thousands souls.

So, if a small county town like Jefferson, PA suffers crime waves in the absence of a township police department imagine what a Baltimore-sized city will experience? Further, and it's fair to say I know jack about Minnesota Law Enforcement or state law, I highly doubt either the state police out there or county sheriffs department will be patrolling ghettos or many other inner city neighborhoods. In my own experience state police units tasked to a given region are highly limited already in the number of active troopers per patrol shift.

If true, what now?

The matter of logistical support is the issue. Not enough resources to effectively patrol now means this nonsense is not a good idea. Unless a Sheriff deputizes 1000’s.

If true, what now?

If true, what now?
So what happens in between now and when the unicorn and lollipop patrol get on the job?
Why don't you stop being a moron for once and read up on the subject. This isn't new. Other municipalities have done this in the past.

Or just continue to be a moron and believe that a major metropolitan area would go without police.

If true, what now?
Sure....and you're a dope who believes they will.

Forum List

Back